How much did your neighbours pay for their house?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
Forum Member
I've found this site through BBC news. Its:

http://www.ourproperty.co.uk

Basically you enter a postcode and away you go.

Much to my discontent, I found that all the streets around us (including my street) has paid less for theirs GRR!!

So now I'm feeling a bit ripped off, but we did buy it at the height of the housing boom and it has got an extension, but I was hoping that there would be more recent houses so we could get a rough idea how much it would be worth.

Ah well.....back to lurking now.

Yours,
Bob.

Comments

• PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £152,475 was the price of the average house sold in my street. Bloody hell that is 365,940 Aussie dollars! :eek: No wonder I cannot bring myself to buy a house here. We rent ours and pay £600 a month. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just waited until we were all drunk and asked them :)

They paid £170, 000, same as us. They got three bed, 1 cloakroom, 1 en-suite, 1 bathroom, study, massive kitchen & bedroom and garage semi-detached.

We got the same spec but detached as developer dropped price as they were about to leave site.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG, doing an 'all years' search and its shocking how much house prices have gone up since 2000.

Average price in our street last year was over £250k. What chance have FTBs got?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You all need to move here -
    detached - average price - (7 sales) £110.000
    semi - average price - (6 sales) £74,000
    terraced - average price - (5 sales) £47,957

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    flicker wrote:

where is "here" :p

Im going to move to a 4 bedroom house with a pool for £80k, the only downside is that its in dallas :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monkey75 wrote:
    where is "here" :p

Im going to move to a 4 bedroom house with a pool for £80k, the only downside is that its in dallas :D

A nice part of Wales - not industrial/mining area, picturesque, scenic and quite civilised ;)

This is an interesting subject. I just put a search in for the area I lived in 15 years ago. I bought my house there in Herts for £45,000 in 1986, sold it for £54,000 in 1990, and they are now valued at £133,000 :( If I had stayed, my mortgage would have only had 6 years to run and it would have been all mine. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but you can get DSL! yey, thats all i would need. I would like to move upto the highlands of scotland as i saw and old castle for £35k :D i couldnt live without my footy or broadband though ;)

where in herts? the whole county has pretty much gone crazy, i have some friends who could only just about afford letchworth...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monkey75 wrote:
    but you can get DSL! yey, thats all i would need. I would like to move upto the highlands of scotland as i saw and old castle for £35k :D i couldnt live without my footy or broadband though ;)

where in herts? the whole county has pretty much gone crazy, i have some friends who could only just about afford letchworth...

I was in Stevenage. I just looked up where my mum lives now, jeez - detached £438,000 :eek: terraced £194,000 strewth!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    flicker wrote:

That'd be great as far as house prices are concerned but a bit of a sod for commuting into central London every day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewWoman wrote:
    That'd be great as far as house prices are concerned but a bit of a sod for commuting into central London every day

Very true. :)
    One has to be prepared to commute here if a decent wage is required, because although housing is cheaper, not much else is, food and petrol etc is just as expensive. My friend's husband still works away in Sussex, just comes home for weekends as he can earn twice as much there.
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be perfectly honest I'm not really interested in what my neighbours paid for their house, I'm still revelling in the fact that we paid £4,295 for ours :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be perfectly honest I'm not really interested in what my neighbours paid for their house, I'm still revelling in the fact that we paid £4,295 for ours :)

When I was working in conveyancing in the early 70s, houses were going for around that price in what is now a prime commuter-belt area. I remember one of my colleagues bought their house, and she was bricking herself at taking on a mortgage of £3,000. Those were the days, my friend ..... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flicker wrote:
    When I was working in conveyancing in the early 70s, houses were going for around that price in what is now a prime commuter-belt area. I remember one of my colleagues bought their house, and she was bricking herself at taking on a mortgage of £3,000. Those were the days, my friend ..... ;)

Actually it was our second house and we thought that we couldn't possibly afford the mortgage but we trimmed all our outgoings to the bone and jumped in with both feet......happy days..... ;)
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was quite chuffed with my house price.

I bought mine about 5 nearly 6 years back for £52,000 when I was 21. All my mates were laughing because they had nice cars etc. and I had a knacker while putting all my cash in to getting a house.

Now I've got a decent 3 floor house with a garden in a nice area and none of them can afford to buy because the prices have rocketed. The house next door to mine went for £110,000 six months back and the one across the road went for £120,000 (roughly).

I feel sorry for them not being able to buy and having to rent at ridiculous prices, but it's nice to be settled especially after all the stick I got for not spending my cash on the 'in things' those years back.

Plus I think it's the first 'sensible' purchase I've ever made and the first thing I've bought that's actually worth more than I bought it for :D
  • JRHJRH Posts: 6,588
    Forum Member
    What an interesting little website, in fact, very good. :)

Not sure whether I'd want to buy our flat, but not bad for £45,000 as of 2003.

Just been looking up our old homes in Swansea - three-bed semi detacted, very big gardens, excellent sea views of the whole bay - £75000 in late 2000. Anybody have any idea how much that would be now?

Great site. :)
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HA! No-one has bought a house in our street! (council houses!)
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame it doesn't include Scotland yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.myhouseprice.com/

This site covers the whole country. Costs £1 per property though, and gives the exact price it sold for.

Rudi :cool: ™
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rudi wrote:
    http://www.myhouseprice.com/

This site covers the whole country. Costs £1 per property though, and gives the exact price it sold for.

Rudi :cool: ™
    I think you can do that via the land registry too. My cousin works there, I will ask him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrhnewark wrote:
    Just been looking up our old homes in Swansea - three-bed semi detacted, very big gardens, excellent sea views of the whole bay - £75000 in late 2000. Anybody have any idea how much that would be now?

Great site. :)

Just making a stab in the dark......about £165,295.......or there about and providing the big gardens are not overgrown..... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ludovica wrote:
    HA! No-one has bought a house in our street! (council houses!)

There ain't no stigma in buying a ex-council house, a relative bought one and after a little effort it's now worth more than double what they paid for it.

As a matter of fact in our area a good quality three bed roomed ex-council house with all mod cons, including central heating and double glazing, in a delightful area can still be purchase for £58,950.....just thought I would mention that in passing.....
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boyf and i have decided to buy somewhere together. We have lived in Derby for the past 2 years and I just checked out this site to see how prices have gone in the last 4 years.

It is a JOKE!!! In two years house prices have doubled - they are a good third over what it would cost in my homeland Boro.

For example, one house we looked at was £80k, 2 years ago the same houses were 40k.

surely thier are overinflated prices?
    it is worth hanging on incase they come down?
    or is it best to pay the stupid prices because they will never come down?

GRRRR.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know if this site tells you the value of the houses or the price paid for them? Or if it covers people who bought their homes from the council?

I live on a council estate and may buy my flat so I would be interested to know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Our neighbors paid £33,490 five years ago we moved in two years earlier and paid £25,000.
  • SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    According to the guys at www.housepricecrash.co.uk you'd be a fool to buy a house at the moment. Check out the forum, there's some good arguments for and against a house price crash