Selling home made pickles

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a home made pickle and my housemates/friends etc think I should try selling it. I've done a bit of research and I think it actually would sell, due to what it is and what's in it.

Now, how do I go about this? Should I take samples to farm shops etc and ask them to try it and think about it? I could try online.

Also, with regards to hygiene etc, where do I stand? I'd do it from home, but would I need the kitchen inspected?

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helsie wrote: »
    I have a home made pickle and my housemates/friends etc think I should try selling it. I've done a bit of research and I think it actually would sell, due to what it is and what's in it.

Now, how do I go about this? Should I take samples to farm shops etc and ask them to try it and think about it? I could try online.

Also, with regards to hygiene etc, where do I stand? I'd do it from home, but would I need the kitchen inspected?

What's in it? If it's hash pickle, your resale outlets will be more limited than if it's, say pickled gherkins. Also due tot he nature of the product, the regulations may not apply.

Otherwise you will need an uptodate hygiene certificate and also you need to list all the ingredients on the label.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    Try local village fetes and the likes as a starting point. It all depends on what scale you want to get to, and how quickly. Butchers often sell pickles, chutneys and the likes as well, so try them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is legal, nothing like hash.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You have to have your kitchen investigated. Depending on the profit,you may have to list your ingredients and also an allergy warning.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a leaflet about farmers' markets in Devon:
    Low risk items such as cakes and jams

Generally these present few food safety risks and many people safely produce a range of jams and non-dairy cakes from home. However some products which appear to be low risk, including pickles, chutneys, pesto, and flavoured oils are known to support the growth of bacteria and toxins where the production processes are deficient. It is critical that customers receive information regarding storage and shelf life. The shelf life of some products may require testing under laboratory conditions. You must make sure you know about the basics of food hygiene and law and also the labelling and shelf life requirements that apply. Before starting out, please contact your local Environmental Health Service and Trading Standards Service for advice.
    http://www.devonline.gov.uk/devon_farmers_market_leaflet.pdf
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an ebook here on starting up a preserves and pickle production business from home. I've no idea if it's any good, but it isn't all that expensive:

http://www.scavenger.net/product.php?productid=1953
  • ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try going on Dragons' Den! :D

(It worked for the guy who made 'Reggae Reggae' sauce anyway!)
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I actually came in here thinking this thread was about something else....

Found it quite a funny title...

I interpreted it as you were selling your home and made pickles...

(I thought to myself...never heard THAT phrase before :o:D)

Thanks for the giggle..

Carry on :D