Changing to Digital Downloads on PS3

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As next gen is upon us, I've decided to start buying my games digitally when they are on sale, and selling the disc version.

Mainly because of my huge hard drive - I want to make use of it, but also because it should hopefully save wearing out the Blu-Ray laser.

Anyone else doing this? I won't be selling my PS3 even when the PS4 is here, so it'll basically be a console with a shit load of games on it for future play.

Comments

• steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,001
    Forum Member
    Well the best HDD harddrive for the ps3 is this 1tb model - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017UV0UG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0017UV0UG&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21

In my opinion of course! It will also be the best HDD for the ps4 too.. When it comes out, well until they release a 1tb ssd/HDD combo for the ps4...

I have alot of ps+ games on their - never have to worry about disc space - it's great!
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    Well the best HDD harddrive for the ps3 is this 1tb model - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017UV0UG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0017UV0UG&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21

In my opinion of course! It will also be the best HDD for the ps4 too.. When it comes out, well until they release a 1tb ssd/HDD combo for the ps4...

I have alot of ps+ games on their - never have to worry about disc space - it's great!

I think you got the link wrong there!
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really but then I'm not buying many games since going plus.
    Wonder how long plus will support ps3 with freebies after ps4 is out?
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still not convinced by Digital Downloads yet. They are still too expensive and too restrictive in what you can do with them for my liking.

If I choose to sell my PS3 to fund my PS4 I can sell all my disc games to help fund the purchase but all my digital content is just thrown in the away. There are still too many unanswered questions about what happens to content should the supplier shut down. If Sony closes what happens to my content? If I buy an EA game through Sonys PSN store which then closes will EA honour that purchase through their store.

I will watch digital downloads as they mature over the coming years and hopefully my worries will be alleviated but at the moment I am not comfortable with digital as anything more than a rental service like PS+. I consider all PSN game purchases I make as throw away purchases and only pay a price I consider good for something that could disappear in the future.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,001
    Forum Member
    Let me try that again lol

Well the best HDD harddrive for the ps3 is this 1tb model -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DVJJWQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B005DVJJWQ&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21

• TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT are going to love me... just bought Uncharted 1 and 2 from the store for a bargain £12 altogether! 35GB in total! Will now sell the discs and get a few quid for a new game.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm buying (free) as many of my games as possible from PSN+, but still keeping the disc versions, they could become more valuable as we pass into next gen.

PSN+ is proving to be a great source of gaming entertainment, so I have no plans to buy any games until the PS4 lands. Then initially, buy a few disc based games just to kick off with, then go back to digital, waiting of course until the price is right. I won't be paying 49.99 for 39.99 games.

Waiting for sales and special pre-order prices is pretty much how I'll be playing it next gen. Hopefully publishers will cotton on that digital could be more lucrative and sell games at lower prices, digitally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see PS3 games being valuable any time soon.

I wouldn't pay £49.99 for a £39.99 game. I mean games that go on sale, for example, I just sold my Uncharted collection for £25. I've then bought U1 for £5.50 and U2 for £7.19 on the store. U3 is free with Plus.

Moving into PS4 territory, it won't play PS3, PS2, PS1, or PSN games, so I figured I would use my PS3 as a download only console, so that when I do get a PS4, all my classics are on one small console.

I might buy Metal Gear 2 and 3 - £5.50 each on the store too. I have a 1TB hard drive so may as well make use of it!
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,386
    Forum Member
    Im sticking with disc based games & will be until forced to go Digital only.

Not saying I never buy anything digital, But I still prefer having a physical games library on my shelves which I can look at, pick up, read through the manual if I need to (Especially useful with fighting games which list controls, moves & combo's in the manual).

Whenever I buy something digitally, I always feel kinda dissapointed that the only thing I've to show for my purchase is a game icon on my dashboard & less space on my HDD.

Im just kinda retro, I like going to the game shops & browsing the shelves. I like buying physical things & love having my game collection on my shelves at home :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57072648@N03/9282417409/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sticking with disc based games & will be until forced to go Digital only.

Not saying I never buy anything digital, But I still prefer having a physical games library on my shelves which I can look at, pick up, read through the manual if I need to (Especially useful with fighting games which list controls, moves & combo's in the manual).

Whenever I buy something digitally, I always feel kinda dissapointed that the only thing I've to show for my purchase is a game icon on my dashboard & less space on my HDD.

Im just kinda retro, I like going to the game shops & browsing the shelves. I like buying physical things & love having my game collection on my shelves at home :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57072648@N03/9282417409/

I see your point. I used to like that, but my games get put in a cupboard anyway so I rarely see them! Some games I want to keep forever, and if I can get them cheap on the store, then I will. Some games I won't be able to, like Silent Hill Homecoming so I'll keep those.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the last of us digitally. First big digital ps3 for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the last of us digitally. First big digital ps3 for me.

What made you do that?!
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    What made you do that?!

I looked at the digital version and the price was the same as post stores +/- £2 or so. In fact to buy it in a Game Store its £42!!

Almost bought it off PSN on Saturday morning but decided to use some of my store credit and bought it in game.

Just need to get to playing it now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see your point. I used to like that, but my games get put in a cupboard anyway so I rarely see them! Some games I want to keep forever, and if I can get them cheap on the store, then I will. Some games I won't be able to, like Silent Hill Homecoming so I'll keep those.

This is backward of me but never mind!

I agree digital versions of games can be a benefit as you just switch between the games without changing a physical media. For example I've got a fair bit of content on my Vita and PSP and I find been to go to the menu and just start another game to be more convenient. Same goes for my PS3 and gaming PC.

Although if you buy a game digitally and it runs/plays like a scabby dog then you can't sell it on!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What made you do that?!

Impulse purchase, on BT infinity i could play it much quicker than i could from a shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a brand new game from the store. I'd only buy games I know I like, or if they were on offer. My plan is to have my entire PSone, PS2, and PS3 collection on the console itself, so that moving forward to the PS4, I can just keep the PS3 for all my classic PS gaming.
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DD is very much our preferred method of game delivery and storage. It's not just the clean convenience and swifter technical game operations, but price. Steam, as all will know is an exceptional model. And over time as more gamers gradually embrace console digi distribution, I feel confident prices will drop. Even now in it's relatively early console cycle, pricepoints are becoming more acceptable. The current PS3 Uncharted deals and the extraordinary value of Plus, prime examples.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i buy most games digitally now
    as i ahve 2 ps3s at home...one is mine 1 is my sons

if i buy from the store on disk i have to buy 2 copies
    but if i buy from psn my son can hop on my account on his ps3 and download the game and dlcs too

that way we are getting 2 games for price of 1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DD is very much our preferred method of game delivery and storage. It's not just the clean convenience and swifter technical game operations, but price. Steam, as all will know is an exceptional model. And over time as more gamers gradually embrace console digi distribution, I feel confident prices will drop. Even now in it's relatively early console cycle, pricepoints are becoming more acceptable. The current PS3 Uncharted deals and the extraordinary value of Plus, prime examples.

Digital downloads are fantastic especially on steam.

Unless your a dolt like me who accidently deleted almost 650gb of data from steam without backing up the folder first.

Dont think BT were that happy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping this PS summer sale starting Wed is just as good as the xbox one. I have a lot of PSN credit to spend!
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't bother selling my old games on disc to rebuy (mainly because of the expense) but I do prefer to buy new games digitally as it reduces load times and makes playing them on 2 PS3s easier.

Most recently I have bought Last of Us and Dead Space 3 on PSN and plan to buy Splinter Cell this way if I can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother selling my old games on disc to rebuy (mainly because of the expense) but I do prefer to buy new games digitally as it reduces load times and makes playing them on 2 PS3s easier.

Most recently I have bought Last of Us and Dead Space 3 on PSN and plan to buy Splinter Cell this way if I can.

You feel ok spending £40 on a downloadable game though? My only gripe with that is, if you hate it from the start, you've lost £40!

I see your point about selling old games, however I only do this if there's no money lost... i.e. I sold Uncharted for £8 and paid £5.50 for it on the store. I sold Uncharted 2 for £8 and bought it for £7.19 on the store.... so it's technically just swapping the discs for a digital version.

I am tempted to sell my Alice Madness Returns for £10 and buy the download which is currently £14. My aim is to eventually have my PS3 as a 'classic' PS console with all my PSone, PS2 and PS3 titles on it so that when the PS4 comes, I can have the PS3 by it's side with all my games on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You feel ok spending £40 on a downloadable game though? My only gripe with that is, if you hate it from the start, you've lost £40!

I see your point about selling old games, however I only do this if there's no money lost... i.e. I sold Uncharted for £8 and paid £5.50 for it on the store. I sold Uncharted 2 for £8 and bought it for £7.19 on the store.... so it's technically just swapping the discs for a digital version.

I am tempted to sell my Alice Madness Returns for £10 and buy the download which is currently £14. My aim is to eventually have my PS3 as a 'classic' PS console with all my PSone, PS2 and PS3 titles on it so that when the PS4 comes, I can have the PS3 by it's side with all my games on it.

At the same price I see your point in rebuying but what if its Black Ops 2, £60 in the store, my copy would sell for under £20.

I don't really buy games at launch, take Dead Space 3, I bought it from PSN on offer at £25. Most of the time PS+ keeps me going. If I'm paying £40 I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it before before I buy it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    At the same price I see your point in rebuying but what if its Black Ops 2, £60 in the store, my copy would sell for under £20.

I don't really buy games at launch, take Dead Space 3, I bought it from PSN on offer at £25. Most of the time PS+ keeps me going. If I'm paying £40 I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it before before I buy it.

I wouldn't do that with Black Ops 2 though. I only do it if the digital price is pretty close to the re-sale value of the disc.

Is there really a noticeable difference in loading times?

I am tempted to buy The Last of Us. £40 though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't do that with Black Ops 2 though. I only do it if the digital price is pretty close to the re-sale value of the disc.

Is there really a noticeable difference in loading times?

I am tempted to buy The Last of Us. £40 though!

Depends on how fast your HDD is but yeah it can cut the loading times in half. It's less evident with more modern games as they tend to do large installs now to get the same effect.