6" iphone?

swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
Forum Member
Some Wall st Journal reporter covering apple reckons they are testing screens as big as 6 inches.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57601591-37/apple-testing-6-inch-iphone-models-new-report-claims/

After Tim dismissed these sizes and the iphone has to be one handed these will never see the light of day ... will they?

As the 3.5" screen is the perfect size and the ipad doesn't need to be smaller I can't see them changing their view here either :rolleyes:

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    For someone that doesn't like iPhones or Apple, you certainly like to post about them a lot :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    As the 3.5" screen is the perfect size and the ipad doesn't need to be smaller I can't see them changing their view here either :rolleyes:

lol

I guess it depends if other companies are shifting large numbers of units of a form factor they don't currently offer. ;)

The rumour mill also suggests they'll be announcing a "budget" (although I'm not sure what Apple define as a budget model. £350 maybe?) version of the iPhone 5.

Guess you'' find out next week ....
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    For someone that doesn't like iPhones or Apple, you certainly like to post about them a lot :rolleyes:

Yeah weird init' I don't understand it either ... oh no hang on we are in a mobile phone forum :rolleyes:
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try and dig the link out later but some talking head was saying not to read too much into this :(. Shame a large screen iPhone would be awesome IMO.
  • ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some Wall st Journal reporter covering apple reckons they are testing screens as big as 6 inches.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57601591-37/apple-testing-6-inch-iphone-models-new-report-claims/

After Tim dismissed these sizes and the iphone has to be one handed these will never see the light of day ... will they?

They've already moved to 4" for the iPhone 5 last year. If consumers want bigger screens then they have to offer them one day or lose market share. I'm sure they have analysts watching what Samsung etc are up to.

Apple had said there was no need for a smaller iPad yet the Mini came out after a number of smaller Android tablets proved to be popular.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I hope not.

I enjoy my comfortable one handed use of my iPhone 5. Perhaps a phone around 4.7" as an absolute maximum but no more than that.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A better solution is making a mini device at 4 inch like s4 mini and then having the main device as 4.7-5 inch. Apple are the only company left now that use high end devices at 4 inch no-one else does anymore.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be next year at the earliest you know how long apple drag things out.

http://www.t3.com/news/apple-could-launch-4-5-to-5-inch-display-iphones-analyst-reports
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From reading years of comments ardent Apple users are just too self conscious to use a big phone.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I would hope Apple do test all sizes. Does not Automatically mean they shall build it.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I don't want the iPhone to be any bigger. Jobs was right, it should fit in and usable with one hand. If I want bigger I get my iPad out.
    Everyone is different though and some like a bigger handset.
    They're wrong though and I'm right obviously! :D
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hope Apple do test all sizes. Does not Automatically mean they shall build it.

I'm sure all sorts of different ideas get tested. It's highly unlikely a 6" iPhone would ever make it to production though. I would like an option a bit bigger then the current models though given my eyesight. But 6" sounds an overkill.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Will they one day go for larger screens? Yes, they most likely will.

Never really been able to work out why every time Apple say something they have to stick with that for all time, Whilst other people can say what they want at the time but change their minds later.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I don't want the iPhone to be any bigger. Jobs was right, it should fit in and usable with one hand. If I want bigger I get my iPad out.
    Everyone is different though and some like a bigger handset.
    They're wrong though and I'm right obviously! :D

I can hold a 4.5-5inch in one hand pretty sure most can its only when it gets larger then that it becomes a problem.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    I can hold a 4.5-5inch in one hand pretty sure most can its only when it gets larger then that it becomes a problem.

I can hold them - but don't find them always comfortable - it does depend on the model though and I do like to hold a phone with one hand and text which is harder with the larger phones.

Did have a look at the Xperia Z last night which I did find comfy to hold despite it's large screen with it being quite thin and a small bezel.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    All getting a bit risqué on here isn't it?
    I'd like to have a 7 inch one but that's another story.
    Hahahahahahaha

Now, where's my coat.......
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah weird init' I don't understand it either ... oh no hang on we are in a mobile phone forum :rolleyes:

That doesn't make posting about things you dislike and have no interest in any less weird.

An iPhone with a large 6" screen will be amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only kidding, it'll have all the same downsides that any other phone with 5"+ phones have, ie being less comfortable to use with one hand.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Are there rules regarding areas one can post on? besides I have great interest in apple if no one did their criminal activities may never have come to light.

Of course you are free not to post in any thread you feel you shouldn't.

As for the one handed element perhaps they will just stretch the iPhone 5 some more keeping the same width.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What did 'Tim' say?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    All getting a bit risqué on here isn't it?
    I'd like to have a 7 inch one but that's another story.
    Hahahahahahaha

Now, where's my coat.......
    My missus has to make do with 4 inches . Its not the size of the unit its the RAM that counts :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there rules regarding areas one can post on? besides I have great interest in apple if no one did their criminal activities may never have come to light.

Of course you are free not to post in any thread you feel you shouldn't.

As for the one handed element perhaps they will just stretch the iPhone 5 some more keeping the same width.

No, there are no rules. Which is precisely why myself and others are free to comment that we think its a bit weird that someone with a dislike of something would post so much about it.

I'm sure the DoJ appreciate your help with their investigations.

Back on topic, yes they'll probably do an iPhone that's about 10" tall, but very narrow one day. Wouldn't that be something stupid to post about?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    What did 'Tim' say?

Here is Tim Cook on iPhone screen sizes I posted in April:

"My view continues to be that iPhone 5 has the absolute best display in the industry. We always strive to create the very best display for our customers. Some customers value large screen size, others value also other factors such as resolution, colour quality, white balance, brightness, reflectivity, screen longevity, power consumption, compatibility with Apps many things. Our competitors have made some significant trade off's in many of these areas in order to ship a larger display. We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these trade off's exist".

The Q&A can be found here and is towards the end of the session:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1820438
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is Tim Cook on iPhone screen sizes I posted in April:

"My view continues to be that iPhone 5 has the absolute best display in the industry. We always strive to create the very best display for our customers. Some customers value large screen size, others value also other factors such as resolution, colour quality, white balance, brightness, reflectivity, screen longevity, power consumption, compatibility with Apps many things. Our competitors have made some significant trade off's in many of these areas in order to ship a larger display. We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these trade off's exist".

The Q&A can be found here and is towards the end of the session:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1820438

So he didn't say that apple would not produce a larger screen iPhone?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    That doesn't make posting about things you dislike and have no interest in any less weird.

Surely the interest is in mobile technology? :confused:

You can also have an interest in something but hate the product especially if its in the same area of interest. There is NOTHING weird about that, its just human.