The Heath Ledger Appreciation Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    The blurb on the back of my DVD calls it a "deliciously rousing romantic comedy"....i'm a bit like you Jess, i cant stand sienna miller, which is possibly why my copy is still wrapped in plastic:eek:.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Hmv is selling alot of Heaths films quite cheeply at the moment, and they have Casanova for £6.
    Anyone seen lords of dogtown?, that's one i haven't got, is it worth buying?

Well it's based on the true story of the start of the skateboard craze in America in the 70's. If you like surfing and skateboarding you'll enjoy it!

I bought it for Heath, who played Skip ... (can't remember his surname!) who started the boys off who created the craze.

I fondly remember reading a film critic - who raved about Heath in BBM - saying he watched Lords of Dogtown and only at the end realised Heath was in it! :D He did not look like Heath! Stringy blond hair, and he had false teeth (top set) because the real Skip had slight buck teeth ... and his voice ... wonderful! He sounded stoned all the time! lol! He was wonderful in LOD, you even saw him surfing at the beginning. Good example of how he becomes the character he plays, when he plays Skip.

It's not a very big part, but as I re-taped all his scenes, I love watching them. He sings along - a bit - to Maggie Mae in one scene while he's cleaning a surboard, but the story is mostly about the 4 teenage boys.

Always amuses me that he filmed his part in LOD over 2 weeks in April 2004 ... after he did that he went to Alberta to film BBM. From Skip to Ennis ... and they look nothing alike! :)
    Forum Member
    The blurb on the back of my DVD calls it a "deliciously rousing romantic comedy"....i'm a bit like you Jess, i cant stand sienna miller, which is possibly why my copy is still wrapped in plastic:eek:.

When I watched the film the first time, I had no idea which of the woman was Miller cos I had no idea what she looked like! She should feel priviliged to have worked with him ... let alone being lucky enough to kiss him!
    Forum Member
    I am not a huge fan of Brockback Mountain, but Heath's perfomance is superb.
    A lot of people are talking about Casanova. What is this about?

It's about Casanova! :) He made this straight after BBM and enjoyed his months in Venice with Michelle.

I remember he actually researched the part thinking it was a serious film about Casanova, but in the end he got the script and realised it was more like Carry on Casanova by comparison - just a bit of fun. But as he wanted something like that after the intensity of BBM, he was happy to do it.

What they call an enjoyable romp, but I still only watch Heath's scenes.
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    Well it's based on the true story of the start of the skateboard craze in America in the 70's. If you like surfing and skateboarding you'll enjoy it!

I bought it for Heath, who played Skip ... (can't remember his surname!) who started the boys off who created the craze.

I fondly remember reading a film critic - who raved about Heath in BBM - saying he watched Lords of Dogtown and only at the end realised Heath was in it! :D He did not look like Heath! Stringy blond hair, and he had false teeth (top set) because the real Skip had slight buck teeth ... and his voice ... wonderful! He sounded stoned all the time! lol! He was wonderful in LOD, you even saw him surfing at the beginning. Good example of how he becomes the character he plays, when he plays Skip.

It's not a very big part, but as I re-taped all his scenes, I love watching them. He sings along - a bit - to Maggie Mae in one scene while he's cleaning a surboard, but the story is mostly about the 4 teenage boys.

Always amuses me that he filmed his part in LOD over 2 weeks in April 2004 ... after he did that he went to Alberta to film BBM. From Skip to Ennis ... and they look nothing alike! :)
    Thanks for that, i think i will get it afterall, sounds good.
    Am i the only one here who actually has all of Roar on tape?, that's when i first saw Heath.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    It's about Casanova! :) He made this straight after BBM and enjoyed his months in Venice with Michelle.

I remember he actually researched the part thinking it was a serious film about Casanova, but in the end he got the script and realised it was more like Carry on Casanova by comparison - just a bit of fun. But as he wanted something like that after the intensity of BBM, he was happy to do it.

What they call an enjoyable romp, but I still only watch Heath's scenes.

Thanks. I will probably buy it.
    Forum Member
    A lot of talk has been of Brokeback Mountain, but the film that first made me think of Heath as an amazing actor was Monsters Ball. I realise he was only a supporting cast member in it but when i saw him in that i really thought wow, this guy is not just a pretty face, he can act too.

And he only did that role as a favour to an actor friend of his who didn't want to do it. Hard to believe he wasn't going to do it otherwise.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, i think i will get it afterall, sounds good.
    Am i the only one here who actually has all of Roar on tape?, that's when i first saw Heath.
    I bought that set on DVD last year, and I still haven't watched it! I never got round to it, and it'll be hard to watch now because it's one of only two things of Heath's that will be 'new' to me - after Dark Knight - knowing nothing will follow it.

I was always impressed by the fact he was 18 at the time, and he dated his 36 year old co-star for some time! :)
    Lucky woman! :)
    Forum Member
    And he only did that role as a favour to an actor friend of his who didn't want to do it. Hard to believe he wasn't going to do it otherwise.

He is amazing in it, truely stunning, you really feel for Sonny, and that final scene is shocking.
    Forum Member
    I bought that set on DVD last year, and I still haven't watched it! I never got round to it, and it'll be hard to watch now because it's one of only two things of Heath's that will be 'new' to me - after Dark Knight - knowing nothing will follow it.

I was always impressed by the fact he was 18 at the time, and he dated his 36 year old co-star for some time! :)
    Lucky woman! :)

It's great, really badly done in places and the acting by some of the cast is awful but i compleatly loved it:D, Lisa Zane was a lucky lady indeed. Those Leather trousers didnt leave much to the imagination:p
    Forum Member
    He is amazing in it, truely stunning, you really feel for Sonny, and that final scene is shocking.

He was amazing in it. And he really WAS like a young Ennis, just as 'closed in' as Ennis was. Brilliant. No one warned me what happened to Sonny before I saw it, and it WAS shocking.

The actor who was with him in Four Feathers, who played Jack, was supposed to do it ... you just can't imagine anyone else being that good.
    Forum Member
    He was amazing in it. And he really WAS like a young Ennis, just as 'closed in' as Ennis was. Brilliant. No one warned me what happened to Sonny before I saw it, and it WAS shocking.

The actor who was with him in Four Feathers, who played Jack, was supposed to do it ... you just can't imagine anyone else being that good.

Wes Bentley, whatever happened to him?
    Forum Member
    Wes Bentley, whatever happened to him?

He's still around, but he only makes films when he feels like it ... which was why he didn't do MB of course. He was contracted, then he changed his mind, but he would have been sued if he dropped out, so he asked Heath to do it, so he did.

One thing I loved about Heath was his ability to be be so convincing with his accents! I loved his 'posh English'. I didn't realise at first that he was Australian! When I first saw him in Two Hands (I love him in that, he was such a sweetie) about a year after I saw BBM, it just made me laugh to hear him say "G'd'Day' for the first time, in his real voice! :D It was the 'G'd'day' that did it!

When he did Candy he did say it was the first time in 8 years he'd been able to use his own voice. :)

I loved his real voice as well. Gorgeous.
  • Evenstar120Evenstar120 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    His passing is a tragic loss to both his family and friends and to his many fans around the world. Particularly poignant is his tiny daughter Matilda who will grow up without a dad. I'm very saddened by the passing of a star with such potential and such a bright future ahead of it, so unfairly and prematurely extinguished. The wake following his funeral sounds like a fitting tribute to him, on his favourite beach, with his friends and family celebrating his life rather than mourning it.
  • scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished watching Candy. Didn't fancy it much but thought since I hadn't seen it, I felt as though I had to.

I thought it was really good, better than expected. I thought I might cry all the way through it, thankfully I didn't. There is one part towards the end (I won't spoil it for others) where it did bring a tear to my eye.

R.I.P Heath.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,326
    Forum Member

Not quite - The Imaginarium Of Dr Parnassus (which Heath was in the middle of fiilming when he died) is definitely going ahead with all of Heath's scenes still in it.

http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/

It doesn't say how they're going to do it, but I read that Jake G, Christian Bale and a couple of other people (I can't remember who) might take over the role. Apparently Heath's character falls through a mirror, and the idea is that he comes back as Jake, Christian or whoever.
    Forum Member
    Jack Nasty wrote: »
    Not quite - The Imaginarium Of Dr Parnassus (which Heath was in the middle of fiilming when he died) is definitely going ahead with all of Heath's scenes still in it.

http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/

It doesn't say how they're going to do it, but I read that Jake G, Christian Bale and a couple of other people (I can't remember who) might take over the role. Apparently Heath's character falls through a mirror, and the idea is that he comes back as Jake, Christian or whoever.

Yes I know about that film - it seems incredible to look a pictures taken on the Saturday before he died, in London, filming in the clowns outfit. He looked so well! And watching the bit of film of him actually filming something, the last thing he did .... was awful.

I didn't count that simply because it's not finished and seems a bit 'up in the air' about what will happen now.

I hope they don't have Johnny Depp finish it because he actually looks like Heath facially to me sometimes (same jaw, same 'look' sometimes') and I could never look at Johnny Depp again afterwards if he did!

Jake, Johnny and Christain were the three names I remember reading about. Whether it's true or not or if it'll happen, of course, is another matter.

I'm not even sure I could watch this film. When I look at Brothers Grimm now, I think of it, as they're both Gilliam films. And I loved Heath in Brothers Grimm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,326
    Forum Member
    Yes I know about that film - it seems incredible to look a pictures taken on the Saturday before he died, in London, filming in the clowns outfit. He looked so well! And watching the bit of film of him actually filming something, the last thing he did .... was awful.

I didn't count that simply because it's not finished and seems a bit 'up in the air' about what will happen now.

I hope they don't have Johnny Depp finish it because he actually looks like Heath facially to me sometimes (same jaw, same 'look' sometimes') and I could never look at Johnny Depp again afterwards if he did!

Jake, Johnny and Christain were the three names I remember reading about. Whether it's true or not or if it'll happen, of course, is another matter.

I'm not even sure I could watch this film. When I look at Brothers Grimm now, I think of it, as they're both Gilliam films. And I loved Heath in Brothers Grimm.

Oh yeah, Johnny Depp was the other name - thanks!
    It seems pretty definite that it will go ahead somehow, cos there's an official website for the film as well(albeit not up and running yet). I hope it does go ahead cos that really will be the last chance we'll have to see Heath again:(
    I'm in two minds about Jake doing it - on the one hand I would love it cos I love Jake but it would be so emotional for me, I'll be a wreck watching it:cry:
  • LovelyLauraLovelyLaura Posts: 50,041
    Forum Member
    Jack Nasty wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Johnny Depp was the other name - thanks!
    It seems pretty definite that it will go ahead somehow, cos there's an official website for the film as well(albeit not up and running yet). I hope it does go ahead cos that really will be the last chance we'll have to see Heath again:(
    I'm in two minds about Jake doing it - on the one hand I would love it cos I love Jake but it would be so emotional for me, I'll be a wreck watching it:cry:

I think it would be a lovely gesture for Jake to be involved with the film although it would definitely make it even more emotional, given what he and Heath went through together with Brokeback and how close they were as friends :cry:

It must be really difficult for them to know what to do with the film, but I hope that they will release it with the scenes that Heath has already filmed. It will be very emotional and so hard to watch but I think it will be a great tribute to him as well. I like the idea that has been suggested about how his character falls through a mirror a few times during the film so could easily change into different actors.

I just hope they don't cut his scenes entirely and replace him with a different actor. They should either scrap it or do as suggested and have Heath "turn" into a different actor or actors.

I've just been watching the Baftas and they did a montage of all the actors/directors/writers etc who have died in the last year....Heath was the last one shown, it still doesn't seem real somehow, I just wish we could turn the clock back :(
  • hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Jake was at the memorial?

Nobody seems to know where he is (which is in many ways only right)..filming of Brothers was postponed till the 12th . Hopefully he's managed to hide himself away from the press and grieve for Heath in private.

LovelyLaura - from what I understand from something Terry Gilliam said, at one point Heath's character falls into a pool of water, and within the context/story of the film it would be very possible for Heath's scenes to remain intact and the character to transform into another actor once we see Heath fall into the water.

A nice moment at the Bafta's - knew they'd finish that section with Heath. Orlando Bloom looked upset so if course the camera's focused on him.

As LovelyLaura says it still doesn't feel real, but I suppose, only being able to watch him on a TV or movie screen we'll always be able in some ways to distance ourselves from the fact he's no longer here..whereas if we were friends of family, his physical absence is much more noticable.
  • LovelyLauraLovelyLaura Posts: 50,041
    Forum Member
    hayleyg wrote: »
    LovelyLaura - from what I understand from something Terry Gilliam said, at one point Heath's character falls into a pool of water, and within the context/story of the film it would be very possible for Heath's scenes to remain intact and the character to transform into another actor once we see Heath fall into the water.

Thanks for the clarification Hayley. It certainly seems then that keeping Heath's scenes in would be doable, although I suppose that Terry would need to discuss this with Heath's family and see what they want to do as well? I mean, they might find it too painful for a film to be released that includes scenes Heath only shot 2 days before his passing....very understandable that this would be hard to watch.

I do think it would be a lovely tribute to Heath though, especially if his character was to transform into Jake. It would be a really touching moment. I'd support whatever decision his family make about this though.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    tvjane wrote: »
    I thought Jake was supposed to be Heath's best friend and he's godfather to Matilda yet he didn't go to either of the memorial services or the funeral. It can't be as some papers have reported saying he was too upset to go because he was photographed out with Reese Witherspoon.

I would have thought he would be the person to be at all three services. Shame

He's been reported as being at both the LA memorial services, one report seeming very accurate - also, which people seem to be forgetting, he's currently filming, Brothers is due to wrap today or tomorrow - it's a sad fact of life but, to shut down a production for a number of days to allow him to go to Perth would have cost a lot of money, plus disrupting the future plans of everyone involved, sometimes it just isn't possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    What is everyone's favourite Heath film?
    Mine is A Knights Tale. I also love 10 Things I Hate About You.
    Brokeback Mountain and 10 Things I Hate about you- very different but he was brilliant in both of them!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    hayleyg wrote: »

Snip LovelyLaura - from what I understand from something Terry Gilliam said, at one point Heath's character falls into a pool of water, and within the context/story of the film it would be very possible for Heath's scenes to remain intact and the character to transform into another actor once we see Heath fall into the water.

Snip

From what I've read/seen, Heath's character falls into a magic mirror 4 times during the film, which would enable TG to change the actor four times - I think that's why the same four names keep cropping up to play the character at these points - Christian Bale, Sean Penn, Johnny Depp and Jake.

BBM will always be my favourite Heath role, him, Jake, Ang etc did such a perfect script to screen job, if you've read the short story there's certain scenes that are just captured perfectly, exactly as your imagination saw them in the story, the dozy embrace/last argument scene being an absolute stand out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looked at the memorial pictures on Sky showbiz site. Very moving & touching. As others have said, seemed like a beautiful tribute to his life, rather then mourning his death. Very sad. R.I.P. Heath