Panda Cloud antivirus!

mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
Forum Member
✭✭✭
[rant]

I just finished re-installing Windows and decided to try Panda cloud antivirus instead of MSE.

Wow, I've never known such an annoying piece of software in my life, Every 10 minutes or so I get a popup asking me to 'Join the community' by entering my e-mail and a password, Yeah thanks.. But no thanks... GO AWAY!

Not only that, what's with the constant 'your computer is in danger' [oh noes!!] if you don't buy our pro version adverts.

Is it meant to be this annoying? I guess unless you fork over your cash it doesn't shut up...

[/rant]

And breathe... :o:D

Comments

• DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like these anti-virus that use cloud. I rather have a software version were I know it is up-to date and I know that my computer is safe and I know I have piece of mind.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Avira free is best

.. That is all..
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mpmc17 wrote: »
    [rant]

I just finished re-installing Windows and decided to try Panda cloud antivirus instead of MSE.

Wow, I've never known such an annoying piece of software in my life, Every 10 minutes or so I get a popup asking me to 'Join the community' by entering my e-mail and a password, Yeah thanks.. But no thanks... GO AWAY!

Not only that, what's with the constant 'your computer is in danger' [oh noes!!] if you don't buy our pro version adverts.

Is it meant to be this annoying? I guess unless you fork over your cash it doesn't shut up...

[/rant]

And breathe... :o:D
    I use the free Panda and have none of those pop ups you're getting :o
    Did you install the pro version and not the home by any chance?
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been using Panda FREE version for ages. Not once have I had a pop up
    Did you down load directly from The Panda web site ?
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I downloaded from the Panda site (http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/forHome/), the download URL
    http://acs.pandasoftware.com/cloudantivirus/trial/PandaCloudAntivirus.exe

Which is the same for the 'Try It Free' link on the same page. So I must have downloaded the 'free trial'.

Sneakily what they've done is, when you want the free version (and if you follow the 'for home' link) instead of getting the free version you actually get the trial. To get the non-trial free version you have to click the 'download free' button on the image carousel on the main page.

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/#!/free-antivirus-download

So unless you actually stay on the panda site & wait for the image carousel to go round, you won't see the free link unless you click the image carousel arrows on the page, but who the hell does that? (Not Me!)

So glad I removed the damn thing, I don't think I could trust my security to a company that does things like this.
    ✭✭✭

Me too, free version, from their website, no probs. In fact I rather like Panda, and will install it on my laptop too.

Maybe ad-block helps??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Panda home page you have to click on the ' For home ' button
    Then click on the free download button
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Panda home page you have to click on the ' For home ' button
    Then click on the free download button

That's what I did, but I still ended up with the trial version, check the links on the 'for home' page, they all lead to the trial version :p

That's what I fell for.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been using the free version for a while now and it really unintrusive, easily the best antivirus I have used. It also takes up very little resources and I never have to worry about keeping it up to date.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A complete waste of money. My ex used the paid-for version and she still had to pay £80 (twice) to get her laptop cleaned up after it became unusable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mpmc17
    I just double checked
    Its not the trial version but the free

Ironjade
    What did Panda do to make the laptop unusable ?
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Ironjade
    What did Panda do to make the laptop unusable ?

More importantly, what did the ex do to make the laptop unusable? Twice.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »

I dunno about you but It takes real effort to get a virus now a days especially with Windows Vista and beyond.

I can't recall the last time I came across a virus, I would probably get away without having a virus scanner.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »

No idea. She used to laugh at me for using anti-virus/malware programs too.
    She normally uses a Mac so the poor soul probably didn't know any better when it comes to Windows. She does now.:)