Why is film 2012 on so late?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
Forum Member
As per title, 11.25 for a movie programme is ridiculous. I like the show but struggle to make it to the end. I know I can record it but that's not my point.

It's not particularily adult, I just dont understand the logic. 10.pm would be about right or even 9.30.

Surely it would have far more viewers if it was shown at a reasonable time.

Comments

• penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As per title, 11.25 for a movie programme is ridiculous. I like the show but struggle to make it to the end. I know I can record it but that's not my point.

It's not particularily adult, I just dont understand the logic. 10.pm would be about right or even 9.30.

Claudia is a vampire
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Film (whatever year it is ) has always been on late at night I have never understood why
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should go on BBC3 really, that's more the age-range for new release films nowadays.

BBC1 core viewers might benefit from an old-film retrospective programme.

BBC4 for US box-sets
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11.25 for a movie programme is ridiculous.
    If I had to guess, I'd reckon it was classed as an "arts" programme. And the BBC can't have such elitist material cluttering up it's peak-time schedule of games shows, soaps and reality. After all, F2012 reviewers occasionally use long words and mention abstract concepts - anathema (ooops, sorree :rolleyes:) to the Beeb's idea of yer avrige viewer - who's poor little brains would surely explode if exposed to such high degrees of learning.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess its aimed at film buffs rather than average Joe movie-goers.

That guys a little bit pompous and looks down on Claudia whenever she likes a film that isnt really arty/weird
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    Didn't know it was still going - I thought it would have been killed off after Jonathan Ross left.

I still remember Barry Norman's review of Basic Instinct when describing Sharon Stone's leg-cross scene he came out with "and you can clearly see her vagina". Pissed myself laughing:D
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't want to give too much encouragement to a rival medium which diverts tv viewers from watching tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is film 2012 on so late?

Claudia Wrinkleman's fugly face requires at the very least Parental Guidance and should not be shown before the watershed or to any body under 18 or indeed anyone of a nervous disposition.

I'd rather watch repeats of Film 77

Bring back Barry Norman
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    They don't want to give too much encouragement to a rival medium which diverts tv viewers from watching tv.

You don't know that the BBC actually produces films do you?
    Although in keeping with the BBC, they are more on the art house/limited release side of things.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfilms/recentreleases
    Channel 4 also produces films, they also have a public service remit.
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I'd reckon it was classed as an "arts" programme. And the BBC can't have such elitist material cluttering up it's peak-time schedule of games shows, soaps and reality. After all, F2012 reviewers occasionally use long words and mention abstract concepts - anathema (ooops, sorree :rolleyes:) to the Beeb's idea of yer avrige viewer - who's poor little brains would surely explode if exposed to such high degrees of learning.

How it's the BBC's fault that arts programming doesn't put bums on seats, I don't know.

Well at least the BBC is making such 'elitist' material Review show, Culture show, The Imagine series.
    Apparently a fair number of those who listen to Kermode's film podcast just listen for the entertainment of 2 middle aged blokes bickering.

Does ITV, Ch4 or Ch5 have a proper film/DVD review show?
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Why has it started so late in the year. It usually comes back in October. I cant believe they have missed reviewing Skyfall. Would have been interesting to hear their review of it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    Claudia Wrinkleman's fugly face requires at the very least Parental Guidance and should not be shown before the watershed or to any body under 18 or indeed anyone of a nervous disposition.

Bring back Barry Norman
    ^this
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time scheduling should hardly matter these days.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,459
    Forum Member

It's always started well past 11pm for most of its decades on air, has it not?

I know they gave it a shot in the post-news 10.35pm slot about a year or so ago, but it didn't do that well. Was hovering around a million viewers, and a sub-10% audience share, which is rather below average. So the earlier start wasn't helping bring in many new viewers, which is presumably why they've decided it's OK to move it back again.

I wonder whether BBC2 might not be a better fit if it was to move earlier. It doesn't strike me as primetime BBC One material.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,459
    Forum Member

Well aren't you a charmer? Perhaps you thought you were on the Daily Mail message boards?

As far as I'm aware, Barry Norman isn't much of a looker either...
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people still watch live TV? I only watch news and football live everything else gets recorded :)

I agree with OP, time for this show is ridiculously late but thanks to PVRs we are no longer slave to TV companies' schedules!
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Time scheduling should hardly matter these days.

But time and channel scheduling still matters, no matter what you think.
    Forum Member
    Do people still watch live TV? I only watch news and football live everything else gets recorded :)

I agree with OP, time for this show is ridiculously late but thanks to PVRs we are no longer slave to TV companies' schedules!

That can't be a serious question can it.
    YES PEOPLE STILL WATCH LIVE TV

In other news, the stupid are always with us.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    If it's was on any earlier then that bloke sat next to Claudia wouldn't of been able to of said Bollox twice in the same sentence.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't know that the BBC actually produces films do you?
    Although in keeping with the BBC, they are more on the art house/limited release side of things.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfilms/recentreleases
    Channel 4 also produces films, they also have a public service remit.

Is it really necessary to be so patronising?
    I'm sure the BBC is quite happy for tv viewers to watch their movies but they probably don't want them watching other people's too much (apart from "Skyfall", obviously, given the amount of promotion the allegedly non-commercial BBC has devoted to it).
    Another reason may be that film clips cost more if a programme uses them in peak time but this is just speculation on my part.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Claudia like everything ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I like the conversational style of the programme, Claudia has a dry wit that amuses me so I really enjoy the format now.

Antonia quirk does some excellent pieces in it too, she talks to camera brilliantly.

Maybe if it was on bbc2 it could be shown earlier as some have suggested.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I've never understood why the Film show is on so late but also why it isn't on over the summer.The summer is the biggest time for films with all the blockbusters released over that period but the BBC don't show the film show then which makes no sense at all!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bring back Barry Norman

Since Barry Norman left the programme because of the irregular scheduling, he's hardly likely to want to return when it's being scheduled as it currently is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    If it's was on any earlier then that bloke sat next to Claudia wouldn't of been able to of said Bollox twice in the same sentence.

Is English your first language?