two years after x factor acts is key to being established artists

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,886
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I always feel that if they are still around two years after their year they have probably made it.

For example 2011 survivors little mix, Amelia misha b need to be having hits at the end of this year and have probably became artists in their own right and can lose the x factor label.

The likes of olly, one direction and jls got over the two years many years ago now

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I always feel that if they are still around two years after their year they have probably made it.

For example 2011 survivors little mix, Amelia misha b need to be having hits at the end of this year and have probably became artists in their own right and can lose the x factor label.

The likes of olly, one direction and jls got over the two years many years ago now

Really? Especially after Leona falling flat on her face with her newest album, ready to be dropped?
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really? Especially after Leona falling flat on her face with her newest album, ready to be dropped?

Yes but her day has been and gone now she won't be having any big hits now
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Yes but her day has been and gone now she won't be having any big hits now

She is number 1 in Germany & Austria. Leona is international, which can't be said for most others
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Misha B and Amelia have barely even debuted at this point, so they'll have to clear that hurdle first!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rombod wrote: »
    Misha B and Amelia have barely even debuted at this point, so they'll have to clear that hurdle first!

Amelia is probably heading for a second top 5 hit in a row misha b hasn't set the charts alight but she is still around
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

JLS aren't international though. They've only remained relevant in the UK by rush releasing an album a year. The only international acts are Leona, 1D, Alex, Cher, Rebecca and Olly. IMO they are the success stories and still going strong years after the show.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    JLS aren't international though. They've only remained relevant in the UK by rush releasing an album a year. The only international acts are Leona, 1D, Alex, Cher, Rebecca and Olly. IMO they are the success stories and still going strong years after the show.

Is Alexandra Burke an international artist?:confused:
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    Alexandra is not an international act either.

Tonight was #1 in Greece and #1 on their radio airplay for 4 months straight. It also was in top 5 airplay in other countries and Romanian artist Inna is even covering the song for her album. And AB didn't even promote it as a single at all. Seems pretty international to me.
  • Who Am I?Who Am I? Posts: 20,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedward are still going strong 3 years after X Factor. OK perhaps not in the way the OP means but they've just had 2 returning tv shows aired, a third sell out pantomime. They've also just completed a promo tour in Canada, where they seem have been very popular. Two stints in Eurovision helped them become known throughout Europe.

I guess musically this year could be important for John and Edward and if a 4th album will be announced. They've recently said they're working on new music - writing as well - and want to continue touring.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who Am I? wrote: »
    Jedward are still going strong 3 years after X Factor. OK perhaps not in the way the OP means but they've just had 2 returning tv shows aired, a third sell out pantomime. They've also just completed a promo tour in Canada, where they seem have been very popular. Two stints in Eurovision helped them become known throughout Europe.

I guess musically this year could be important for John and Edward and if a 4th album will be announced. They've recently said they're working on new music - writing as well - and want to continue touring.

good on them!!;)
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Amelia is probably heading for a second top 5 hit in a row misha b hasn't set the charts alight but she is still around

Yeah, but I meant that neither have released an album yet, which tend to be the important thing.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    String9 wrote: »
    Is Alexandra Burke an international artist?:confused:

Charting internationally counts :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe McElderry had 3 albums out 2 years after he won, released a 4th last year and judging by his tweet this morning, is already working on his 5th.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joe McElderry had 3 albums out 2 years after he won, released a 4th last year and judging by his tweet this morning, is already working on his 5th.

Joe is a tricky one he is not a chart artist however he seems to be doing ok at what he is doing
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All his albums charted - even if the fourth was not so successful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe is a tricky one he is not a chart artist however he seems to be doing ok at what he is doing

His albums do pretty well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the two year period. The first year is their first album/singles as an artist outside of the X Factor, and so they have a lot of support from fans which has died down by the year after. Especially since I think a lot of fans feel loyalty to an artist they voted to win and want them to do well so buy even if they don't love the material in the first year.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His albums do pretty well.

you`re only as big as your last `hit` and in joe`s case his last album shifted 32k tops.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olly murs is the only X factor act I can still see being big in 5 years time
  • River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think as far as X factor launching a recording career goes if they haven't released anything with in two years most people will have forgotten who they ever were.

Jedward are known in Asia as well now their song Young Love was covered on some TV show and their tracks feature as background music on Korean TV in a way that doesn't even happen on their own BBC TV show.

Most pop music careers are 2-5 years long so anything in that window counts as successful in my book. Most people aren't gonna have careers like Madonna, but if they stay working in showbiz and don't have to go back to their day jobs to make ends meet that also counts as successful in my book.

I am still baffled how 1D are so uber huge.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River_Tam wrote: »
    I think as far as X factor launching a recording career goes if they haven't released anything with in two years most people will have forgotten who they ever were.

Jedward are known in Asia as well now their song Young Love was covered on some TV show and their tracks feature as background music on Korean TV in a way that doesn't even happen on their own BBC TV show.

Most pop music careers are 2-5 years long so anything in that window counts as successful in my book. Most people aren't gonna have careers like Madonna, but if they stay working in showbiz and don't have to go back to their day jobs to make ends meet that also counts as successful in my book.

I am still baffled how 1D are so uber huge.

that's why they call it X Factor. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    you`re only as big as your last `hit` and in joe`s case his last album shifted 32k tops.:o

What? That's not true. Tom Jones' most recent album went to number 8, by your logic that would mean he's not big?
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member

No. 3 album in UK = flop? No 1 in Germany and Austria = flop? So what if Lovebird flopped, that doesn't mean her album has.

I seriously doubt Syco would drop her. Leona had some serious competition when she released it and it's not a flop again, she's under-performing.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What? That's not true. Tom Jones' most recent album went to number 8, by your logic that would mean he's not big?

my comment is correct in the context of this thread, since we are discussing singers relatively new to game and every release is highly important for them. tom is a legend with decades of success behind him, he doesn't have anything prove. his legacy has been long established and is frankly not in the same league.

on the flip side, we have the young joe. hilariously lauded on these forums as some sort of `album artist` and his last album flopped. it will be interesting to see if this was a blip and whether he can return to shifting non impressive but sufficient amounts with his next release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    my comment is correct in the context of this thread, since we are discussing singers relatively new to game and every release is highly important for them. tom is a legend with decades of success behind him, he doesn't have anything prove. his legacy has been long established and is frankly not in the same league.

on the flip side, we have the young joe. hilariously lauded on these forums as some sort of `album artist` and his last album flopped. it will be interesting to see if this was a blip and whether he can return to shifting non impressive but sufficient amounts with his next release.

Your statement was still wrong, no matter the context. It's not just the latest hit that matters and if you class an 8 as a flop then I don't know what to say.