Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS update - UK

Comments

• Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Updated my wifes Orange SG2 last night via Kies and the upgrade all went well
    after playing with her phone a bit I am having trouble with the contacts only showing 3 of her lesser used contacts

if while contacts is open I get the option to change it to where I can see all the contacts but after use it just defaults back to the same 3 lesser used contacts which is annoying
    how do i change it ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Updated my wifes Orange SG2 last night via Kies and the upgrade all went well
    after playing with her phone a bit I am having trouble with the contacts only showing 3 of her lesser used contacts

if while contacts is open I get the option to change it to where I can see all the contacts but after use it just defaults back to the same 3 lesser used contacts which is annoying
    how do i change it ??

I had trouble with contacts when I first bought a SG2. I saw each contact twice. Contacts can be stored on either the SIM or the phone. It may be the upgrade has switched the default contacts location from SIM to phone or vice-versa.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The contacts now seems to have sorted itself out somehow... not sure what has happened but they are now as should be

after playing with ICS for the last few hours and watching a few you tube vids about ICS
    it really does have some cool features

I cannot seem to find NFC or Androind beam!!! looking through all the settings I just cannot see it
    can some kind soul please tell me where I should be looking in version 4.0.3

the vids on you tube show version 4.01 and the settings on there look different to this newer version and as such I cannot find it
    thanks
    Chris
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot seem to find NFC or Androind beam!!! looking through all the settings I just cannot see it
    can some kind soul please tell me where I should be looking in version 4.0.3

nfc is a hardware feature; the later s2s have it, and can presumably use beam, the earlier ones do not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    nfc is a hardware feature; the later s2s have it, and can presumably use beam, the earlier ones do not.

Well that is disappointing this is the wifes phone and hopefully when my Galaxy Note gets ICS it would of been nice to have been able to use this NFC

I guess that plan is down the toilet now:cry:
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    like I said depends on when you got it. The first UK models, inc mine, purchased around June time, didn't, the later s2's did.

There have been various ways proposed to increase NFC uptake., including bundling it into an SD card or taping it to the back of the phone, Barclaycard style.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like I said depends on when you got it. The first UK models, inc mine, purchased around June time, didn't, the later s2's did.

There have been various ways proposed to increase NFC uptake., including bundling it into an SD card or taping it to the back of the phone, Barclaycard style.

I got the SG2 about a year ago for the wife and it had been out quite a while when I got it for her
    so I would not say its an early model but trouble is you never know how long they have been sat in afactory wiating to be dispatched etc

I guess it must be old stock as presumably the NFC option would be in the settings
    thanks for your input
    Forum Member

I bought mine in December but I can't find it in the menus.
    On ICS if it is there is it under Settings - More...?
  • southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since I updated my battery isn't lasting as long. Prob about 50% less.

Anyone else had this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I bought my S2 through Orange last month, just upgraded the firmware via Kies, but it just upgraded from gingerbread 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 and say's there are no other up updates.

Any ideas?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my S2 through Orange last month, just upgraded the firmware via Kies, but it just upgraded from gingerbread 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 and say's there are no other up updates.

Any ideas?

The NFC S2 hasnt been updated yet (i9100p)
    Forum Member
    My model number for my G2 is GT-I9100 which I now gather is not NFC enabled despite only being purchased last December from Amazon. I think that the NFC enabled model is GT-I9100P.

I'm not sure that not having an NFC enabled phone is a bad thing given that there is a security risk of other people obtaining personal details about you by placing their phone next to yours. I can however see a potential advantage of NFC in having apps to make small cashless purchases, as library cards or for gaining access to buildings etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Just upgraded a SG S2 on Virgin to ICS, using fresh download of Kies from Samsung, which offered me a firmware upgrade which turned out to be Android 4.0.3. Works well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    If you don't already know, the Galaxy S3 will be launched in May. Quad core, full HD display 320 dpi, 4.6 Super AMOLED screen, and improved battery. Hard to get accurate spec details, anything from 1.4 to 1.8 GHz, and either 8 or 12MP camera, NFC support as standard. Will come pre-loaded with ICS ofc.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/samsung-will-unveil-the-next-galaxy-phone-may-3rd-in-london/

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/androidcentral/~3/m5sqc_ty9Js/story01.htm
  • Jakatta75Jakatta75 Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    southlad wrote: »
    Since I updated my battery isn't lasting as long. Prob about 50% less.

Anyone else had this?

I've had the same thing. I can't figure out what's using my battery so much. It doesn't last a day, and Im not using it any differently to before the ICS update.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakatta75 wrote: »
    I've had the same thing. I can't figure out what's using my battery so much. It doesn't last a day, and Im not using it any differently to before the ICS update.

I've downgraded from ICS to gingerbread for this exact issue.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlocked Version Available Now

ICS is now available for unlocked Galaxy S2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask anyone who has ICS to check something for me?

Can you go into

Settings
    Wireless and Network
    Mobile Network
    Network Mode

If you could list the network modes available that would be great. Gingerbread has:

GSM/WCDMA (Auto mode)
    GSM only
    WCDMA only

I suspect ICS has changed these options?
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

GSM/WCDMA (Auto mode)
    GSM only
    WCDMA only

I suspect ICS has changed these options?

No ICS has the same options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    No ICS has the same options

Thanks you :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are a few quotes from Sony with their assessment of ICS performance issues. Very interesting!

Another interesting thing is that many apps use slightly more RAM in ICS. For example, the web browser is quite intensive, and our measurements indicate that it uses 20-30MB more in ICS compared to Gingerbread. All in all, there are a lot of changes that together result in greater RAM requirement.... when running a heavy game that uses all available RAM, the activity manager will be forced to kill all processes running in the background. This might include vital functions like the dialler and even the Home screen application. When you exit your game, there is a risk that the phone is perceived as slow, since the Home screen app will have to be restarted, just like every other activity you access afterwards.

Another change in ICS compared to Gingerbread is that Google has moved a lot of the SQL handling from the native to the Java layer. In our internal studies, we have seen that read and write operations to the SQL database takes longer time, which slows down the apps. Many applications perform a lot of SQL operations when started, which greatly impacts the start-up time... This can result in a user experience that is perceived as slower and less stable, due to longer response times and increased ANRs.

When we performed internal tests on our applications, we saw that the Settings app consumed 1-2MB more RAM, and actually took longer time to start with HW acceleration, compared to without. Once the app is running, the UI is HW accelerated, but unless the app performs advanced graphics, the user will not see the difference.Another effect of the hardware acceleration is that it can make the battery drain faster in some cases. An example of this is video playback, where the hardware acceleration requires every video frame to be run through the GPU, thus making the system use more power than it would have without HW acceleration.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2012/03/30/learn-about-the-technical-differences-between-gingerbread-and-ics/
  • southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craggers wrote: »
    I've downgraded from ICS to gingerbread for this exact issue.

I would like to downgrade, can you tell me how?
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suspect this will involve rooting it and putting the GB Rom on it.
  • DiversoDiverso Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I thought it was today! Although reading some of the comments about battery issues I'm not sure I want the update!:(