Tooth self extraction... how best to go about it?

2»

Comments

• Dancing QueenDancing Queen Posts: 9,917
    Forum Member
    Boom wrote:
    ive had this problem a few times and eventually they just come out and its fine. Ive had a few teeth fall out at the back of my mouth and havnt been to a dentist, if i lost any of my fronts id be straight there though!

Human Teeth are crap i brush twice daily and always have done yet they still rot before the end of a lifetime. I think i`ll have false teeth by the time im 40.

but do you FLOSS as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkpaw wrote:
    I haven't seen a dentist for years (not since NHS dentistry went down the chute) and I haven't got one anymore, I don't think.

Anyway, they are generally fine, but recently one of my back molars has cracked & split into two (due to my bruxxing, I think) :( I don't have toothache as it's not painful in itself, but it is slightly loose...you can wiggle it about in its socket (a bit tender too)

I googled and it seems even with NHS dentistry you would be paying £42 for an extraction. :eek:

So I would rather do it myself if feasible. Should I wiggle it a bit every day to work it loose? Bite on an apple? What's the best way? (least painful, please!) :o

good grief thats very expensive. Where I am I think its around £15 at the most
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its costing me £700 for root canal, an x ray, and an appointment with the hygenist in total at my local private dentist! Thankfully my parents are helping this once. I was in so much pain though and had to see a dentist there and then and that was my only "there and then" option :-(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    El Guapo wrote:
    What an idiot! Go to the dentist! :eek: :)
    I've been, everyone - see post 18 :)

NathalieR - I think (I may be wrong) I was told by my local emergency dental hospital service, that the most you would pay for treatment there is ~£30. Also I think (again I may be wrong) you are exempt if you are under 18 & in full time education. So from my experience here, it's definitely worth trying out your local dental hospital emergency service, if you have one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkpaw wrote:
    I've been, everyone - see post 18 :)

NathalieR - I think (I may be wrong) I was told by my local emergency dental hospital service, that the most you would pay for treatment there is ~£30. Also I think (again I may be wrong) you are exempt if you are under 18 & in full time education. So from my experience here, it's definitely worth trying out your local dental hospital emergency service, if you have one.
    Thank you

I hope it is healing well now
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NathalieR wrote:
    Its costing me £700 for root canal, an x ray, and an appointment with the hygenist in total at my local private dentist! Thankfully my parents are helping this once. I was in so much pain though and had to see a dentist there and then and that was my only "there and then" option :-(

£700!!! I would just have it pulled out as there is no guarantee that root canal treatment will be successful either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    darkpaw wrote:

If it's a rear molar, emergency NHS places won't do root canal. They'll just extract it.

Exception being ..... some of them will do the root canal treatment ..... but it'll be done by dental students, for 'practice'.

I found this all out last summer. I took the extraction ..... :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    The film Castaway is brought to my mind.................. for those of you that didn't see it, Tom Hanks had a bad tooth and used an ice skate blade to whack the tooth outta his mouth!

Wouldn't recommend it though !!

Sorry - in all seriousness, I sympathise - toothache is not a nice thing to have - I had an abscess once and the pain was so bad I was OD'ing on painkillers and rocking back and forth
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boom wrote:
    Human Teeth are crap i brush twice daily and always have done yet they still rot

In that case, one would have to consider how well you brush (i.e. your technique), for how long you do it (the reccommended 3 minutes is actually much longer than you think when you're standing there with a brush in your hand!) and also what your diet is like (i.e. frequency and time of sugar intake)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Re preop. radiographs.
    Well, if the extraction had all gone 'orribly wrong, at least you would have had the consolation of being able to successfully sue the dentist concerned!
    I cannot comment on NHS emergency treatment as it is quite a while since we had anything to do with NHS treatment for adult patients.
    Just out of interest, we charge £36 if one of our Denplan Essentials patients needs a routine extraction (X-ray is free to members)....
    Got to go, the alarm on the Bentley has just gone off, and the it's time to see if the private jet is all ready for the w/end skiing in Gstaad.............
    In real world, off to bed as have to collect my wife from her night shift tomorrow am @7 :eek:
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please dont.

Mr L has just had two heart valves replaced after catching endocarditis after a dodgy root canal. You could make yourself seriously ill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re preop. radiographs.
    Well, if the extraction had all gone 'orribly wrong, at least you would have had the consolation of being able to successfully sue the dentist concerned!
    I cannot comment on NHS emergency treatment as it is quite a while since we had anything to do with NHS treatment for adult patients.
    Just out of interest, we charge £36 if one of our Denplan Essentials patients needs a routine extraction (X-ray is free to members)....
    Got to go, the alarm on the Bentley has just gone off, and the it's time to see if the private jet is all ready for the w/end skiing in Gstaad.............
    In real world, off to bed as have to collect my wife from her night shift tomorrow am @7 :eek:
    LOL... she should have gone into dentistry! ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ValLambert wrote:
    Please dont.

Mr L has just had two heart valves replaced after catching endocarditis after a dodgy root canal. You could make yourself seriously ill.
    I've been sorted now - post #18 :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkpaw wrote:
    I haven't seen a dentist for years (not since NHS dentistry went down the chute) and I haven't got one anymore, I don't think.

Anyway, they are generally fine, but recently one of my back molars has cracked & split into two (due to my bruxxing, I think) :( I don't have toothache as it's not painful in itself, but it is slightly loose...you can wiggle it about in its socket (a bit tender too)

I googled and it seems even with NHS dentistry you would be paying £42 for an extraction. :eek:

So I would rather do it myself if feasible. Should I wiggle it a bit every day to work it loose? Bite on an apple? What's the best way? (least painful, please!) :o

What do you mean by bruxxing? :confused: