Huawei Ascend G300 + Android 4.0.3 ICS

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
Forum Member
Hi,

I've just installed Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on my Huawie Ascend G300 phone and find that it isn't as good as the previous Gingerbread 2.3.....does anyone else find that?

Here are my dislikes:

1) Web pages don't seem to scroll as smoothly.

2) You can't stop the camera software from making that horrible shutter noise when taking a photo, even if you put your phone in silent mode!

3) Streaming video's on some sites don't play anywhere near as smooth as they did with Gingerbread 2.3 even with the latest Adobe Flash Player installed for Android 4.0.3.

4) Handling web pages isn't as good, and where is the "- +" zoom button gone from the screen! I know u can pinch the screen to zoom but I liked the zoom button too.

Overall I think ICS is a big step backwards from Gingerbread.

Comments

• SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    I have G300 since July, gingerbread was lot better then ICS, i used ics for few days but it was slow and crap so installed CM10(JB 4.1.2) on my g300 and since then its fast and responsive plus all the latest things like Google Now etc.

Answer to all your 4 problem is to go for CM10 aka Jelly bean 4.1.2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Jelly bean isn't available on the G300 is it? Huawei haven't made it avalable for download?
  • GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    SadmeHappy wrote: »
    I have G300 since July, gingerbread was lot better then ICS, i used ics for few days but it was slow and crap so installed CM10(JB 4.1.2) on my g300 and since then its fast and responsive plus all the latest things like Google Now etc.

Answer to all your 4 problem is to go for CM10 aka Jelly bean 4.1.2.

Thanks for that post!! have been waiting for a JB rom for a while and have just updated thanks to your post!!
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zool8846 wrote: »
    Jelly bean isn't available on the G300 is it? Huawei haven't made it avalable for download?

They installed a custom ROM, this http://www.modaco.com/topic/359624-jb-cm10-412-cyanogenmod-100-for-the-huawei-ascend-g300-rom-last-updated-1701/ I assume.
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    Yes the above link posted is what I installed as well.
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »

I don't really like to idea of using non-official releases of operating systems though as you never know what else these 3rd parties may build in to the software, such as key loggers or other spyware!

If the Huawei Ascend G300 can run JellyBean successfully then I don't know why Huawei dont make it officially available and ditch this sub standard ICS rubbish!

Everyones feedback and links are very much appreciated though.

Cheers!
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really like to idea of using non-official releases of operating systems though as you never know what else these 3rd parties may build in to the software, such as key loggers or other spyware!

If the Huawei Ascend G300 can run JellyBean successfully then I don't know why Huawei dont make it officially available and ditch this sub standard ICS rubbish!

Cheers!

Probably to help sell their newer phones.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheers!

I can understand your concerns about custom ROMs but really you have nothing to fear if you read the forums where they are posted (XDA and MoDaCo are the two I normally use). Modified or built ROMs are picked apart by different developers and any malware would be picked up and I have seen this in happen on a Chinese rom for the ZTE Blade. The CyanoGen Mod builds - which is what CM10 is - are very trustworthy. Unlike manufacturers they don't include carrier tracking stuff. For me I wouldn’t own an Android device if I couldn’t put a custom ROM on it, I have done this to my phone, my wife’s, my son’s and the tablet we have. But we are all different

There is no advantage in a manufacturer giving you a software update as they make no money on that, they would rather sell you a new phone. Time and again people have been let down, by manufacturers and updates be that on Android (to many to count) or Windows Phone (lack of upgrade from 7 to 8) or even iOS (if you count Apple deliberately keeping features from older phones).
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the JB custom ROM get rid of the Vodaphone crapware?
    Forum Member
    Does the JB custom ROM get rid of the Vodaphone crapware?

Yes.... When u install JB rom all u get is Google apps... Everything else u need to install from play store. Its clean fast and crapware free ROM.
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,674
    Forum Member
    I have a few questions regading rooting and installing custom roms.

How safe is it to root and install (are there variants depending on the model number of the G300) that custom rom- even for a newb? And are all the features, such as the the flashing led light and whatnot, all working correctly as well as all the apps (iplayer)? Also, Is there any known bugs? Is that highlighted rom the best?

How much faster is it (Jellybean) really compared to the official ics?

Sorry for all the stupid questions but I don't want to kill my phone, even if it is a budget one.
    Forum Member
    It's very easy and safe to root and install for newbie.

Iplayer, notifications lights are all working..U can check and stay upto date by following JB 4.1.2 thread on modaco.

JB rom is very fast and responsive then ics. Speed Difference is like flying in 747(ics) vs concorde(JB) :-)

Follow g300 forum on modaco and all the help is there.
    http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I've just installed Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on my Huawie Ascend G300 phone and find that it isn't as good as the previous Gingerbread 2.3.....does anyone else find that?

Here are my dislikes:

1) Web pages don't seem to scroll as smoothly.

2) You can't stop the camera software from making that horrible shutter noise when taking a photo, even if you put your phone in silent mode!

3) Streaming video's on some sites don't play anywhere near as smooth as they did with Gingerbread 2.3 even with the latest Adobe Flash Player installed for Android 4.0.3.

4) Handling web pages isn't as good, and where is the "- +" zoom button gone from the screen! I know u can pinch the screen to zoom but I liked the zoom button too.

Overall I think ICS is a big step backwards from Gingerbread.
    Let's get something straight here, those problems are not exclusive to ICS and is mainly due to Huawei's crappy implementation of ICS on your phone. I know because when I upgraded my SGS i9000 to ICS from GB it was like night and day. Browser performance was through the roof and the whole system just felt snappier.

Obviously the SGS didn't ICS from Samsung (they abandoned it) so it is a custom ROM but it worked far better than stock GB. Another thing to note is that JB may not be a good idea on such weak hardware. However, I still think it's worth trying to flash a custom ICS ROM to try.
    Forum Member
    CM 10.1 jellybean 4.2.1 is out for G300. Jellybean 4.2.1 is latest update from android.
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/360515-jb-421-cyanogenmod-101-rom-last-updated-2701/

its lighting fast and any one who own G300 should try this rom.
    Forum Member
    SadmeHappy wrote: »
    CM 10.1 jellybean 4.2.1 is out for G300. Jellybean 4.2.1 is latest update from android.
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/360515-jb-421-cyanogenmod-101-rom-last-updated-2701/

its lighting fast and any one who own G300 should try this rom.

HAve they got the sound issues sorted out? Had a version 4.1.2 on my g300 and the audio level on music/podcasts was crap. went back to ICS and that sorted out the audio levels.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why mess with something that works very well with the original 2.3 . I gave access to other phones ( S3 ) and frankly there is no difference .
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,674
    Forum Member
    As cool as it sounds, I'm going to stick with the official ICS rom . It might be a tad slow but everything works on it. Thanks for the feedback anyways.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if that Jelly Bean rom allows HD recording - or if it's possible in any way.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the phone need to be unlocked before updating to JB ?
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is CM 10.1 bug free and does everything work ?
    Last time i tried it the phone was forever rebooting and freezing.
    Forum Member
    4.2.2 is out for G300,(CM 10.1)
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/360515-jb-422-cyanogenmod-101-rom-last-updated-1602/

Its fast and smooth for everyone with most of bugs fixed from 4.2.1.
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I finally got round to updating my Huawei Ascend G300 to Jelly Bean! Although I've just hit a problem which I hope somebody may be able to help with?

After rooting my phone and installing the cm-10-20130217-EXPERIMENTAL-u8815-R6.zip from http://getcm.thebronasium.com/?device=u8815&type= everything worked perfect and my phone was quick and smooth with no faults. However, whilst browsing "About Phone" in my phones settings I noticed "CyanogenMod Updates" so clicked on it, it said there was "1 update available" so I downloaded and installed it. Since doing that my phone will no longer access Google Play, if I click on the Google Play app the screen just flickers and that's it...no Google Play:(

My phone now says I have CyanogenMod version 10.1 -20130216-EXPERIMENTAL-u8815-R2 with a build date of Sat Feb 16 22.28.17 GMT 2013 and a build number of cm_u8815-userdebug 4.2.2 JDQ39 eng.yuki.20130216.222749 test-keys whatever all that stuff means!!!

If anyone has any ideas of why I cannot access Google Play I'd appreciate your help?

Cheers!
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I finally got round to updating my Huawei Ascend G300 to Jelly Bean! Although I've just hit a problem which I hope somebody may be able to help with?

After rooting my phone and installing the cm-10-20130217-EXPERIMENTAL-u8815-R6.zip from http://getcm.thebronasium.com/?device=u8815&type= everything worked perfect and my phone was quick and smooth with no faults. However, whilst browsing "About Phone" in my phones settings I noticed "CyanogenMod Updates" so clicked on it, it said there was "1 update available" so I downloaded and installed it. Since doing that my phone will no longer access Google Play, if I click on the Google Play app the screen just flickers and that's it...no Google Play:(

My phone now says I have CyanogenMod version 10.1 -20130216-EXPERIMENTAL-u8815-R2 with a build date of Sat Feb 16 22.28.17 GMT 2013 and a build number of cm_u8815-userdebug 4.2.2 JDQ39 eng.yuki.20130216.222749 test-keys whatever all that stuff means!!!

If anyone has any ideas of why I cannot access Google Play I'd appreciate your help?

Cheers!

Reading your post it seems you went from a CM10 rom to a CM10.1 rom. In other words from Android 4.1.x to Android 4.2.x. The Cyanogen team do not include Google Apps (GAPPs) in there builds but you have to install these separately after the flashing the rom. However the GAPPs that work with CM10 wont work with CM10.1 so you need the new versions but you only need to do this when moving up Android versions - All other CM10.1 roms will be OK after updating the GAPPs.

1. Google “cm10.1 gapps download” and put the .zip file you download on your phones SD card
    2. Boot into recovery and flash the GAPPs – you may want to do a full wipe before this but that’s up to you.
    3. Every time you update in the future make sure you back up your current rom. That way you can always go back if there is a problem.

I hope this helps but let me know how you get on.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    It's definitely worth rooting the G300 if you are comfortable with doing so. I never got on with CM 10.1 myself but in all fairness that probably wasn't helped by the fact I had the phone jam-packed with apps.

Now I am using Lightning ROM which is built on a slightly older version of Android (ICS, as opposed to JB), but the performance from my phone has been a lot better. But then I don't have as many apps installed either.