Top of the Pops compilations

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone still have these, or the similar albums by the Mike Morton Congregation? These were usually 99 pence albums sold in Woolworths where uncredited musicians did fairish covers of the hits of the days, or sometimes murdered them if they had to do something heavier. I found one of these from 1972 the other day, complete with big busted dollybird in hotpants( perhaps a selling point), and garish font. Is there any nostalgia or irony factor in these now?

Comments

• BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm fairly sure my dad still has some in his vinyl box.
    I remember as a child not being able to work out the connection between Top of the Pops albums and sexy women with big boobs lol
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Anyone still have these, or the similar albums by the Mike Morton Congregation? These were usually 99 pence albums sold in Woolworths where uncredited musicians did fairish covers of the hits of the days, or sometimes murdered them if they had to do something heavier. I found one of these from 1972 the other day, complete with big busted dollybird in hotpants( perhaps a selling point), and garish font. Is there any nostalgia or irony factor in these now?

I had a few of these albums back in the day. The covers were nearly as good as the original. Hallmark Pickwick and KTel and Music for Pleasure all did low price budget albums. the link shows a whole lot of Top of the pops album covers.

http://retrotrash.org/topofpops.htm
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I did have one from the swansong era of these albums from 1978 and a session singer did a very good cover of Wuthering Heights. It was a case of hitting lucky with the covers, some were awful, some were good. Yet these albums did sell shedloads at the time as albums by the real musicians often cost twice as much. Bet Mike Morton must have been laughing all the way to his tax exile or whatever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Apparently Elton John appeared on a few of those albums before he made it big.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes..... they were truely awful! got a couple somewhere.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fast Fuse wrote: »
    Apparently Elton John appeared on a few of those albums before he made it big.

You'd find people like Mike Moran and his friends from Blue Mink on quite a few, particularly the singalong style pop hits. I daresay people like moonlighting members of Middle of the Road and The Brotherhood of Man sang on a few of these.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd find people like Mike Moran and his friends from Blue Mink on quite a few, particularly the singalong style pop hits. I daresay people like moonlighting members of Middle of the Road and The Brotherhood of Man sang on a few of these.
    Tina Charles also sang on a few of those.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Andy Summers saying that Roxanne (I think) had a slight bum note in one of the guitar breaks...the Top Of The Pops version copied it exactly ;)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was also the Best of Top Of The Pops albums released on the Super Beeb label - original artists tracks - I had one of them...

Similar to this one - but I recall mine having Jive Talkin', 5000 Volts' I'm on Fire, Billie Jo Spears Blanket, BArry Biggs Sideshow - probably released in '77 as most of the content was from '75-'76, as we all know...