Carlisle upgrade

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
Forum Member
Hi

We've just added extra capacity into Carlisle. There is still some extra work to do tomorrow on noise balancing at the street cabinets, but I'd appreciate feedback from our Carlisle DS users on network performance / changes over the next few days. We're contacting our usual test customers as well...

Thanks

David
Owner, Smallworld Cable

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Say when it all over so can test...

Plus still no 80mb unless that coming after you finish you carlisle upgrade.
    Forum Member
    There has be lot down time as well over weekend from carlisle exchange.
    Where there not interenet what so ever.
    Even this morning had outage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Jetstorm72 wrote: »
    There has be lot down time as well over weekend from carlisle exchange.
    Where there not interenet what so ever.
    Even this morning had outage

Hi

Yes I'm afraid when we make a big change like this, it upsets the balance. We've had a team of engineers in Carlisle last week and this week dealing with the fallout. We have a large amp in one of the cabinets to change in the early hours (tomorrow I think) and then we should be there.

Kind regards

David
    Smallworld Cable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Although you already know (and the service update says so) feedback from a 10Mb line - circa 5Mb/.5Mb and feedback from a 20Mb line (not sure if it was upgraded to 30Mb - I never really checked) is around 4Mb/.3Mb pings appear to be the usual "quite low".

These were checked back to morcambe too - further afield yields same speeds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Ping 9, download 19.25, upload 5.56 (Firefox)
    Ping 5, download 24.74, upload 5.87 (Safari)
    this morning. I think we're supposed to be on 60 down.
    (NB can't run Chrome on this Mac)
    Forum Member
    back at 10/1 at home. I'll check work tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    Ping 9, download 19.25, upload 5.56 (Firefox)
    Ping 5, download 24.74, upload 5.87 (Safari)
    this morning. I think we're supposed to be on 60 down.
    (NB can't run Chrome on this Mac)

Thanks. It may be worth calling tech support on 160 to check your profile to ensure you're paying for and on the 60Mb package. You can also pop an enquiry in via the support pages of the website if you don't feel like calling.

Kind regards

David
    Forum Member
    kk20 wrote: »
    back at 10/1 at home. I'll check work tomorrow.

Hi

Thanks.

David
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Hi all after doing a bit of googling i found the same problems with my Smallworld broadband as you guys.
    I went on the 60 Mb when it came out at first i thought it was great and after that it went down hill i do a lot of online gaming via my ps3 black ops etc at first i thought it was my end so i did a lot of googling i manged to open my ports on the cbn router turned my Firewall OFF and un ticked ip flood as a lot of VM people were saying to turn it off i then manually configured my ps3 to give it its own ip address its always been hard wired even went out to buy a decent enough cat5 Ethernet cable and i still the lag. When i do a speed test my speed normally drops around 5ish then wont pick back up till 10Pm or even later at night. Has the new system helped your speeds? I have been in touch with Smallworld and Dave Durnford and they keep telling me it will all get fixed when the new system is in place i hope this is true has it fixed yours as i will be looking to cancel my contract if it hasn't and go to sky or BT i just want to be able to play a decent game without emptying a full magazine at some one who is in front of me just for him to stand there and then melee attack me
    At my property I have the 10MB broadband down stairs with the Motorola surf modem and the 60Mb broadband up stairs with a cbn modem they are both on two different lines when i do a speed-test down stairs the 10MB is not effected at all. Is it only the top end speeds that they offer what is affected? here is a example of one of my speedtests as it has become a religion for me to check it before i do anything

84.19.120.221 27.72 Mb/s 5.75 Mb/s 8 ms Morecambe

My Ps3 User id if any wants to add me is elsey1983
    Forum Member
    Find the speeds to very good since upgrade..
    Just thought every 1 on 60mb was ment to be testing 80mb by now.. unless it been called off..

Only problem seeing don't no if other seeing this, when you click on link or bookmarks browser is hanging saying waiting.
    on loads www address, like there is lag on system when loads try asking for domain name address and it sent it back to pc.

16ms 60.08mbps down 3.29mbps up.. Maidenhead
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Jetstorm72 wrote: »
    Find the speeds to very good since upgrade..
    Just thought every 1 on 60mb was ment to be testing 80mb by now.. unless it been called off..

Only problem seeing don't no if other seeing this, when you click on link or bookmarks browser is hanging saying waiting.
    on loads www address, like there is lag on system when loads try asking for domain name address and it sent it back to pc.

16ms 60.08mbps down 3.29mbps up.. Maidenhead

cheers for the reply i really hope i can get them speeds when the upgrade is done in feb this is the latest one i have done 2455120790.png
    I am :cry: ing
    Forum Member
    It may be worth calling tech support on 160 to check your profile to ensure you're paying for and on the 60Mb package.
    David
    Rang them just now. Package is 60Mb, but they say power levels low and will come Monday to check.
    Thanks.
    Forum Member
    speed taken a slight drop again. Work (20mb) has dropped from 20 to about 8

home (10) from 10 to 7

Will shut off the work modem for a while and let it resync. Not really an issue as we load balance with another ADSL failover so unless I isolate the smallworld I dont notice the drop as much.
    Forum Member
    Rang them just now. Package is 60Mb, but they say power levels low and will come Monday to check.
    Thanks.
    Engineer called this morning and checked modem and connection. Says levels are low and cable to house from street box needs replacing with a bigger one to restore levels. They'll sort this out on Wednesday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Yup, youve fixed Carlisle...yay for Carlisle...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2471200461.png

...ive been getting speeds like this all day in Irvine now.
    Forum Member
    Engineer called this morning and checked modem and connection. Says levels are low and cable to house from street box needs replacing with a bigger one to restore levels. They'll sort this out on Wednesday.
    Engineers came this morning and changed outside cable.

Speed check (modem connected direct to computer)
    57.64 down, 5.53 up.
    Thank you!

Not as fast when connected via our router, but I don't know of any way of improving that; (also depends on browser as mentioned before).
    Forum Member
    Victor1st wrote: »
    Yup, youve fixed Carlisle...yay for Carlisle...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2471200461.png

...ive been getting speeds like this all day in Irvine now.

We had a card fail that day in Irvine, which we've replaced. We still have upgrade work to do (as per Carlisle) in Irvine and Morecambe ...massive increase in traffic over Christmas. Must be all those sub £200 tablets for the kids...

We're working on it as quickly as we can.

Kind regards

David
    Smallworld Cable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Hi Dave,

Is it possible to get a /29 of static IP(s) on the smallworld residential service?

Hoping to get smallworld installed next week.. Any plans for faster upstream? (20mbit+?)
    Forum Member
    wifigeek wrote: »
    Hi Dave,

Is it possible to get a /29 of static IP(s) on the smallworld residential service?

Hoping to get smallworld installed next week.. Any plans for faster upstream? (20mbit+?)

Hi

Not sure about getting a /29. We do 'rent' static IP ranges to business and residential customers (usually £5pm per static IP) but will need to check on availability. Drop me an email to md@smallworldcable.com please.

I'm sure we'll do faster upstream. At the moment we're busy adding extra capacity since bandwidth has gone through the roof against over Christmas (lots of cheap tablets). Carlisle has been upgraded, but we still have Morecambe (next two weeks I think) and Irvine to do.

Kind regards

David