Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    I just think his main looked very tasty. And the presentation was clever,

Ultimately I think what the panel often want is clever twists on quite simple food.

Ok, thank you. :)
    I think the presentation was terrible though, I want my dinner to look like a meal.
    I'm never going to be invited as guest judge to sit beside Pru :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the judges give last week's Kid any 10's? I thought that dish was a real standout. I also think that there are only so many laugh-out-loud gags that you can take, and so they may decide that a main course with the different angle would work in amongst other jokey/quirky courses. my guess is that's still the favourite
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I am not convinced on Aiden´s main either.

The presentation and idea is great but I don´t think everything matches each other on the plate. What´s the point of the pot noodle and the fork? it really comes at odds with the theme of the dish, plus potatos and noodles? too much carbs and it just doesn´t feel right.

I am sure the beef tastes fantastic but at the end of the day is beef and baked potatos. Really struggle to give it a 10, I think it deserves a 7, 8 being generous.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    Did the judges give last week's Kid any 10's? I thought that dish was a real standout. I also think that there are only so many laugh-out-loud gags that you can take, and so they may decide that a main course with the different angle would work in amongst other jokey/quirky courses. my guess is that's still the favourite

Prue said she'd given a ten and I'm guessing Michael's main was the recipient as I can't see any others that would have been in line.

I think the goat dish from last week fulfils the brief on many levels. It delivers gentle humour with a witty title and an appropriate comedy prop, it looks (and from the comments, tastes) delicious and it brings home a more serious aspect too. As a main course, I think it fits perfectly. It would presumably be surrounded by more comedic dishes and the intrinsic message would be - there's plenty of comedy around here but let's not forget the "main" reason we started this in the first place.
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite the fact that there's something about Aiden which means I can't quite take to him I found myself willing the judges to call out his name as the winning chef so I'm pleased he's finally got to the final.

I hope if there's another series though that Mary Ellen comes back and gets through next time. I think she was quite lucky to have got through to the judging day but she seemed to eliminate most of her errors and I warmed to her as a person in the end. She seems so lacking in confidence and vulnerable that I wanted to give her a hug at the end where they showed her looking so disappointed yet still said that the judges decision was correct.

I agree 100% that there's no way the judges should have seen Phil Howard's marks and I think they were influenced when it came to Aiden's main course. Having said that the meat looked so tender and succulent and if it's possible for meat to look full of flavour it managed to do so. I think it would be perfectly suitable for the banquet but like a few other people I would be more excited to be served Michael's goat dish even though it has a different interpretation of the brief.

We should definitely see all the judges marks to prove the chef with the highest marks has won. Rightly or wrongly I just have this feeling that if a chef produces a dish that the judges see as a real contender for the banquet that they might give that chef the nod even if he or she might be a point or two behind overall. Maybe that's how it should be though to get the best dishes through to the banquet.
  • ellie-wellieellie-wellie Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    milmol wrote: »

Debra Stephenson & Prue awarded it a 10, Oliver 9 & Matthew 8.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Morning yesterday gave some air time on Scowell's new food competition show...

My new thread for it

:)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Did I miss the cooking part of the show this week?
    I'm not overly fussed with the presentation of Byrne's main or the novelty value of the pot noodle, especially with potatoes as well

but I would have liked to see how it was prepared and cooked. There was one tender slow cooked piece and one seared piece and then the coated potatoes but I can't actually remember the show filming or describing how it all came together.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Did I miss the cooking part of the show this week?
    Dunno, how much of it did you watch?
    Forum Member
    I've watched every episode. Focusing on the main course as it is usually the centre of events I just can't remember much actual cooking footage.

It was a dish that scored 10 out of 10 so it would have been nice to have some focus on how it was prepared.
  • ellie-wellieellie-wellie Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I've watched every episode. Focusing on the main course as it is usually the centre of events I just can't remember much actual cooking footage.

It was a dish that scored 10 out of 10 so it would have been nice to have some focus on how it was prepared.

You're right - very little actual cooking and preparation footage is shown. All we saw was a brief showing of the consomme, the potatoes being coated in the edible clay and the beef fillet being put on a barbecue. You can link to recipes for all of Aiden's dishes here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0071y6r/features/recipes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    yeah :)
    Forum Member
    You're right - very little actual cooking and preparation footage is shown. All we saw was a brief showing of the consomme, the potatoes being coated in the edible clay and the beef fillet being put on a barbecue. You can link to recipes for all of Aiden's dishes here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0071y6r/features/recipes
    They've made it a cooking show without the cooking. It's all faux tension and mean looks to each other.

Now we even have the judges sitting on the desk whilst deliberating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member

Who is up next week and does anyone know when the event is?

Do you mean when is it being filmed or when is it on the telly? Not sure when we're due to see it but I've heard it's being recorded fairly soon
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've made it a cooking show without the cooking. It's all faux tension and mean looks to each other.

It does add something to the dishing up however as we haven't seen or even heard of half the ingredients that suddenly appear.

"Ox cheeks? Since when? Fennel crisps? Where did they come from? Where did that lobster powder come from and what the hell is it anyway?"

:D
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is one show that should have remained true to itself and stayed 'back to basics' as its been spoilt. I know Sky+ it and fast forward to the tasting, comments and scores. The only one I watch (almost) in full is judging day, still love Oliver!
  • tvfannytvfanny Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching pretty much every episode of Great British Menu in all its guises, I have finally had enough of the sniping and 'meaningful' looks the chefs give each other. I am now watching just the dessert course day ('cos thats the one I'm REALLY interested in) and the Friday show.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately, they've ruined the Friday show even more thoroughly.
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with others who have said the programme isn't as good as it used to be. There is too much waffle, shots of the chefs glaring at each other, judges visiting the kitchen (?what on earth for), and not enough time showing the food preparation and cooking, as has been pointed out here.

Looking at Aiden's menu, it seems the beef cheek and oxtail took 3 hours to cook, Michael's goat took 5 hours plus, so the chefs must be there most of the day, yet we only see a fraction of the preparation and cooking.

I think I might give up on this series.
    Forum Member
    I think if they made the Friday show 1 hour long and concentrated more on the cooking then more people would tune in.
    Saying that though the ratings for the rest of the week might take a battering.

It does seem that the series as it is now is more focused on the competition element rather than the cooking until the last couple of minutes of each show.
  • RedHedRedHed Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ha ha, i thought that looked a bit silly as well :D

I've just caught up on last weeks episodes, another predictable result - i really didn't think Mary-Ellen deserved to go through, either her food must have tasted wonderful or there was some favouritism going on!

Aiden is waaaaaaaay too intense for my liking but i was glad he got through to the banquet eventually.

I couldn't really understand all the gushing over his main course though what's a Pot Noodle got to do with the Flintstones? and where was the veg?
    I love a bit of beef but i think you need to balance the protien and carbs with a few greens.

Possibly me just being synical here but I'm wondering if we're gonna be taken on a 'journey' with Aiden making it to the banquet and then his fiance agreeing to marring him on camera! Please No!

My favourite dish is still Michael's goat :)
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedHed wrote: »
    Ha ha, i thought that looked a bit silly as well :D

I've just caught up on last weeks episodes, another predictable result - i really didn't think Mary-Ellen deserved to go through, either her food must have tasted wonderful or there was some favouritism going on!

Aiden is waaaaaaaay too intense for my liking but i was glad he got through to the banquet eventually.

I couldn't really understand all the gushing over his main course though what's a Pot Noodle got to do with the Flintstones? and where was the veg?
    I love a bit of beef but i think you need to balance the protien and carbs with a few greens.

Possibly me just being synical here but I'm wondering if we're gonna be taken on a 'journey' with Aiden making it to the banquet and then his fiance agreeing to marring him on camera! Please No!

My favourite dish is still Michael's goat :)

I must be a cynic too. That's exactly the "journey" I think we'll be taken on.

And I don't really want to go.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Byrne has not made it to the banquet yet. He could still do a Murchison. I agree with the comments about his main course. The starter was his best dish.
  • RedHedRedHed Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be a cynic too. That's exactly the "journey" I think we'll be taken on.

And I don't really want to go.

Glad it's not just me :)

Well I hope we're wrong, I can't be doing with them x-factorising all my favourite shows!
    Forum Member
    RedHed wrote: »
    Same here. The pot noodle was there for novelty value only. You already had meat and potatoes. The other novely was the beef bones plonked into it.

If he wanted that as part of the presentation then a beef short rib would have worked well.