Star Wars Question

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm going to be watching the entire Star Wars Movie saga in light of recent news that JJ Abrams is going to be directing the 7th episode.

So the question is:

In which order do I watch the movies in?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

or

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3?

Comments

• mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3, 4, 5, 6
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4, 5, 2, 3, 6
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    4, 5. Then 123 to see the Vader story, then 6 for the Finale.
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4,5,1,2,3,6 is the best order apparently, if you've never seen Star Wars.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member

Forget the others.
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evilclive wrote: »
    4, 5. Then 123 to see the Vader story, then 6 for the Finale.
    Doctorb wrote: »
    4,5,1,2,3,6 is the best order apparently, if you've never seen Star Wars.

If you've not seen them before, this is the best to preserve the story surprises.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    4,5,6 in their original pre-altered forms.

Nothing else.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4,5,6 in their original pre-altered forms.

Nothing else.

This is the correct answer.

Watching 1, 2 and 3 is just a waste of seven hours of your life. If anything you'd be better off spending a few hours watching the reviews over at Red Letter Media; at least they are entertaining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    This is the correct answer.

Watching 1, 2 and 3 is just a waste of seven hours of your life. If anything you'd be better off spending a few hours watching the reviews over at Red Letter Media; at least they are entertaining.

I love 1 2 and 3, ok 1 grinds on me slightly. My perception changes all the time since watching The Clone Wars for near on 5 years. All for the good.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a heads up to collectors; Limited Steelbook editions of both trilogies will be released on 8 April. Available for pre-order from usual sites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have no idea about the saga, then 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3.

If you kinda know the basic story arc or have seen 5 before, then 1,2,3,4,5,6.

But, if I was being a dick, I might say try 1.1 for a better viewing experience, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_Edit.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Just a heads up to collectors; Limited Steelbook editions of both trilogies will be released on 8 April. Available for pre-order from usual sites.

I'm never buying any Star Wars sets again until Disney release a remastered, pre-1997, original trilogy.

No new songs, no added CGI monsters and no Hayden flipping Christiansen ghost (although Greedo and Han can shoot in whatever order they like as far as I'm concerned).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »

Limited? Oh jesus, yet more attempts to ream Star Wars fans! What next, an audio-edit a la Kenobi Krayt Dragon whoooooooooooooahhhhhhaaaaaaahheeeeer of a Jawa farting? "Frrrrrtttt......nnn-teeee"
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm never buying any Star Wars sets until Disney release a remastered, pre-1997, original trilogy.

I'm sticking with the six disc DVD set, which seems to be commanding a high price atm. As well as the remastered versions, this set also has the original theatrical versions included. Even though they're unremastered and 4:3 letterbox (2.35:1), they actually look alright (to me, anyway) zoomed in so that they fill the screen left to right without losing any of the picture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sticking with the six disc DVD set, which seems to be commanding a high price atm. As well as the remastered versions, this set also has the original theatrical versions included. Even though they're unremastered and 4:3 letterbox (2.35:1), they actually look alright (to me, anyway) zoomed in so that they fill the screen left to right without losing any of the picture.

urrrggh, you mean 'fatty-vision'!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    urrrggh, you mean 'fatty-vision'!!!

NOOOOO!!! :D

Proportions remain normal. I'm talking about the picture expanding both horizontally and vertically, so everything looks..........normal. I'm not really genned up on technical jargon, but I hope you follow me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOOOOO!!! :D

Proportions remain normal. I'm talking about the picture expanding both horizontally and vertically, so everything looks..........normal. I'm not really genned up on technical jargon, but I hope you follow me.

I kinda follow. But if an image is 4:3, there should only be bars on the left and right. If there is, then to fit the whole of a 16:9 widescreen, you'll either do fatty-vision or zoom in, which would mean losing quite a bit of the picture.

But, as you say, if you don't mind it, then that's cool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    I kinda follow. But if an image is 4:3, there should only be bars on the left and right. If there is, then to fit the whole of a 16:9 widescreen, you'll either do fatty-vision or zoom in, which would mean losing quite a bit of the picture.

But, as you say, if you don't mind it, then that's cool.

Okay..... If I play it with my tv's aspect set to Auto the image is a small rectangle in the centre of the screen.

By changing the tv's aspect to one of it's zoom options the image fills the screen horizontally without losing any of the image (Nothing is cut off. I've checked that.), and is expanded vertically but still has black bars top and bottom. No fatty-vision. Characters are in proportion. EDIT Also, detail levels are acceptable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay..... If I play it with my tv's aspect set to Auto the image is a small rectangle in the centre of the screen.

By changing the tv's aspect to one of it's zoom options the image fills the screen horizontally without losing any of the image (Nothing is cut off. I've checked that.), and is expanded vertically but still has black bars top and bottom. No fatty-vision. Characters are in proportion.

Ah rightio, that makes sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I say, they haven't been cleaned up. they're a bit spotty, have the odd glitch here and there, and could (and should) have been a lot better. They're still watchable enough, though.

Back on topic...... I don't find the prequels very entertaining, and I doubt whether I'll ever watch them again (I saw them all at the cinema).

The last time I re-watched the original trilogy the only bit where I found my mind wandering was during the Yoda scenes in The Empire Strikes Back. Apart from that. I thoroughly enjoyed them all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I thought Fox still owned the distribution rights to the old films, meaning that even if Disney wanted to, they may not be able to source and release a copy of the original theatrical version. (It's clear Lucas doesn't want it getting out, and why piss George Lucas off?)
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Fox still owned the distribution rights to the old films, meaning that even if Disney wanted to, they may not be able to source and release a copy of the original theatrical version. (It's clear Lucas doesn't want it getting out, and why piss George Lucas off?)

Huge wodges of cash perhaps?

Yes licensing negotiations are going to be tough but in the end it will be to both Disney and 20th Century Fox's advantage to get those films out as there is clearly a huge demand for them and seeing as Lucas's "vision" is now completely irrelevant in the whole thing all that matters is cold, hard cash.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well they can DEFINITELY source one!

https://twitter.com/bad_robot/status/296007086465228802