If ITV, CH4 and CH5 and others are in crisis then so are the BBC - An answer

2»

Comments

• KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dynamics wrote: »
    Fair point, but looking at the data available HD and +1 have only grown about 0.6% over the past few years.

I suppose in that case we should also add in iplayer and ITV player.

I dont have data for that, but I suspect BBC iplayer performs considerably better than ITV player;)

I wonder if the BBC1s share would then indicate an increase?
    approx 5:1 (2000m vs under 400m in 2011)
    http://www.vodprofessional.com/features/bbc-vod-stats-2009_2011/
    http://www.vodprofessional.com/features/itv-video-on-demand-statistics-performance-2008-%E2%80%93-2011/

iPlayer viewing is about 2% of BBCs total viewing...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21380666

K
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    define crisis depending upon this dependents upon your view which is dependent upon you being dependent upon your thoughts about what a dependable crisis actually and if it is dependent to identify a dependent tv network as in crisis whether it is or it is not dependently of course - crisis is subjective
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    define crisis depending upon this dependents upon your view which is dependent upon you being dependent upon your thoughts about what a dependable crisis actually and if it is dependent to identify a dependent tv network as in crisis whether it is or it is not dependently of course - crisis is subjective

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/crisis

That's the best way to define "crisis" - to use the dictionary.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Channel 5 has never really been in a crisis. It seems happy to be fifth in the ratings, but in recent years has scored some relative successes with its imports, sport and Big Brother coverage and can for a Celebrity Big Brother final/ opening night get over 10 pc of the audience. Also once the credits roll for Home and Away, soaps are out of the way by 6.30 and they do try to provide an alternative to continuing drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Well Channel 5 has never really been in a crisis. It seems happy to be fifth in the ratings, but in recent years has scored some relative successes with its imports, sport and Big Brother coverage and can for a Celebrity Big Brother final/ opening night get over 10 pc of the audience. Also once the credits roll for Home and Away, soaps are out of the way by 6.30 and they do try to provide an alternative to continuing drama.

channel 5 knows what it wants t od and it appeals to thier demographic in terms of the bbc there is another thread entitled the bbc has a demographic crisis, in this thread existing then i m validated in stating the bbc is in crisis after all you cnat disagree with that surely.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,060
    Forum Member
    You really are obsessed aren't you? Apart from the fact most of your posts seem to be barely decipherable bibble babble, saying there's a thread saying the BBC has a demographic crisis doesn't mean you can start threads saying they have a crisis just because there's threads on other channels saying they have a crisis (which is what you did).

If you're going to start a thread saying they're in crisis, then make it a sensible 1, free of bibble babble, and explain why you're starting the thread but making sure it's a sensible reason, eg if you said "The BBC seem to be in crisis, alot of their shows are rating quite poorly and they're regularly being beaten comfortably in the key slots, especially on weekends, I think they need a change of strategy" and explained what your strategy would be to improve things for them, eg more religious shows, less 'talent'/celebrity shows, more nature shows, more films, etc etc etc, THEN you'd stand a chance of your thread not being locked.
  • radiobloke2004radiobloke2004 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    channel 5 knows what it wants t od and it appeals to thier demographic in terms of the bbc there is another thread entitled the bbc has a demographic crisis, in this thread existing then i m validated in stating the bbc is in crisis after all you cnat disagree with that surely.

Please can you type using proper grammar and punctuation. Then I may actually read some of these posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please can you type using proper grammar and punctuation. Then I may actually read some of these posts.

i actually did say that channel 5 seem to know what they are doing and seem quite content to do it. i notice that there is a thread called bbc - a demographic crisis - so may be they are in crisis after all and my previous threads should have either been allowed to stay or been merged with it. The bbc continues to be in thisd kind of crisis as well as a ratings one when beaten by lewis on monday and this is not to mention the enveloping crisis concerning the forthcoming strike and not to mention the ongoing jimmy saville issues of course.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    i actually did say that channel 5 seem to know what they are doing and seem quite content to do it. i notice that there is a thread called bbc - a demographic crisis - so may be they are in crisis after all and my previous threads should have either been allowed to stay or been merged with it. The bbc continues to be in thisd kind of crisis as well as a ratings one when beaten by lewis on monday and this is not to mention the enveloping crisis concerning the forthcoming strike and not to mention the ongoing jimmy saville issues of course.

There isn't a demigraphic "crisis" though.

The OP ignored all the programmes and channels that blew his argument to bits.

As for Saville, it's well covered in other threads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just to repeat what I said before...

"Please can you type using proper grammar and punctuation. Then I may actually read some of these posts."

Your posts are too difficult to read!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    There isn't a demigraphic "crisis" though.

The OP ignored all the programmes and channels that blew his argument to bits.

As for Saville, it's well covered in other threads.

It is still relevant though and still shows several crises of various types therefore, i m justified in saying that the bbc is at least as much in crisis as itv is, if not more of course.
  • dynamicsdynamics Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is still relevant though and still shows several crises of various types therefore, i m justified in saying that the bbc is at least as much in crisis as itv is, if not more of course.

You do not understand the meaning of the word "crisis". How can it be relevant when the OP in the thread ignored all the facts which showed his statement to be wrong? Showed there was no crisis?

The existence of another thread doesnt show there are "several crisis of various types".

You haven't actually justified any of your claims. You've just repeatedly said that because there is an ITV crisis thread, that there should be a BBC thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dynamics wrote: »
    You do not understand the meaning of the word "crisis". How can it be relevant when the OP in the thread ignored all the facts which showed his statement to be wrong? Showed there was no crisis?

The existence of another thread doesnt show there are "several crisis of various types".

You haven't actually justified any of your claims. You've just repeatedly said that because there is an ITV crisis thread, that there should be a BBC thread.

i m saying that at least i m not the only person who thinks so and have you told the other poster they re crazy or is it just me. Also the term crisis is very subjective and can mean many things and for balance sake if itv are in crisis, then so are the bbc, the big crisis for both is that the internet and other ways of viewing and removing linear viewers as most threads suggest. this causes the bbc and itv different problems and therefore both are in crisis because of the lost viewers not viewing them anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i m saying that at least i m not the only person who thinks so and have you told the other poster they re crazy or is it just me. Also the term crisis is very subjective and can mean many things and for balance sake if itv are in crisis, then so are the bbc, the big crisis for both is that the internet and other ways of viewing and removing linear viewers as most threads suggest. this causes the bbc and itv different problems and therefore both are in crisis because of the lost viewers not viewing them anymore.

So if people use BBC iPlayer is that causing a crisis at the BBC?

This thread is so foolish, please can it be shut down, as it really is a nonsense thread just taking up bandwidth.

Torpido - Please use correct spelling and grammar, as you are doing yourself no favours here with your incoherent ramblings.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,060
    Forum Member
    for balance sake if itv are in crisis, then so are the bbc

For crying out loud, please use your brain. Stating that because 1 broadcaster is apparently in crisis does NOT, I repeat NOT mean you should start threads, or go around saying another broadcaster is in crisis 'for balance sake'. Your whole pointless rambling bibble babble has been based on nothing other than "if ITV are in crisis then for balance sake so are the BBC", which is very clearly a moronic thing to say, but you keep saying it. It is NOT a reason to say a broadcaster is in crisis. Please use your brain so you can process that very clear piece of information.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i m saying that at least i m not the only person who thinks so and have you told the other poster they re crazy or is it just me.

Also the term crisis is very subjective and can mean many things and for balance sake if itv are in crisis, then so are the bbc, the big crisis for both is that the internet and other ways of viewing and removing linear viewers as most threads suggest. this causes the bbc and itv different problems and therefore both are in crisis because of the lost viewers not viewing them anymore.

No I havent told the other poster he is crazy, just that he was wrong, and along with other posters, presented factual information to show why.

...and no I havent said you are crazy, just that you areposting, for the most part, indecipherable bollocks which you cant back up with actual facts. Every post you claim some new aspect is apparently a "crisis".

No they are not in crisis just because ITV may be (although I think it is too strong a term). ITV has an obvious falling audience share as I showed you on the graph. The BBC doesnt.

You may not have noticed, but the BBC is at the forefront of online TV delivery.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Tassium's claim of a "BBC demographic crisis" has been well and truly debunked. It's unfortunate that some people think it's acceptable to make bold, anecdotal claims that evidence of a "crisis" exists while failing to submit any actual hard evidence and denying the proven truth.
    If you want to play the subjectivity card, you can claim that literally anything is a "crisis" (in your imagination). "The BBC has an overuse of the colour red crisis because I say it has!"

Meanwhile, in the real world, there needs to be widespread perception of a crisis before it is taken seriously. Your barely-decipherable and evidence-free posts are unlikely to convince anyone that an actual crisis exists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Tassium's claim of a "BBC demographic crisis" has been well and truly debunked. It's unfortunate that some people think it's acceptable to make bold, anecdotal claims that evidence of a "crisis" exists while failing to submit any actual hard evidence and denying the proven truth.If you want to play the subjectivity card, you can claim that literally anything is a "crisis" (in your imagination). "The BBC has an overuse of the colour red crisis because I say it has!"

Meanwhile, in the real world, there needs to be widespread perception of a crisis before it is taken seriously. Your barely-decipherable and evidence-free posts are unlikely to convince anyone that an actual crisis exists.

Some of the new comedys the bbc have tried recentlyhave rated well - these are the ,ones that actually should ,have done so, the royal bodyguard, me and mrs jones for examplei it is justified that due to the stars employed within these series that the bbc has somewhat of a crisis when it comes to using it stars well. The bbc has a similar problem when it comes to entertainment dog eat dog, dont scare the hare, animal antics, secret service for example as well are turgid formats using talent that the bbc have paid highly, these should rate better. one of the crisis that the bbc hasdis how to use their talent. Another crisis is that they have too much filler coast, bargain hunt, escape to the country, flog it, the list goes on and on - why not make new programmes or schedule properly put films in big gaps not episodes of these back to back. Then there is the demographic crisis that others have picked upon which is also very true. Another crisis is that the bbc has movedwith the times when it comes to new technology and social media. \The bbc also has an atitude that they can do what they want to do blow everbody else mentality as if we want to watch tv in this country we have to pay for the previledge .the final crisis concerns jimmy saville and what he did and possibly where he did it, many threads exist on this subject. All in all many crisis exist at the bbc and there are many others, all of the above are very different to itv s issues identified elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    channel 4 own to many channels so have a come dine with me diarrhoea everyday as well as over reliance on embarassing bodies strangling new programme makesr and subverting their licence this is a crisis for channel 4 to consider. Channel 5 and itv crises are detailedv elsewhere so lets not go in to them here but crisis exists everywhere and that is using the common definition that crisis means uneasily resolved bad problem which is damaging or upsetting some people or situation (weber dictionary of english 1990).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some of the new comedys the bbc have tried recentlyhave rated well - these are the ,ones that actually should ,have done so, the royal bodyguard, me and mrs jones for examplei it is justified that due to the stars employed within these series that the bbc has somewhat of a crisis when it comes to using it stars well. .

You have just stated series have done well due to the stars used, and then in the next breath state the BBC has a crisis of using stars well.

Can you stop this confused and contradictory bollocks?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

. The bbc has a similar problem when it comes to entertainment dog eat dog, dont scare the hare, animal antics, secret service for example as well are turgid formats using talent that the bbc have paid highly, these should rate better. one of the crisis that the bbc hasdis how to use their talent. Another crisis is that they have too much filler coast, bargain hunt, escape to the country, flog it, the list goes on and on - why not make new programmes or schedule properly put films in big gaps not episodes of these back to back. .

Why? One simple reason is cost.

The formats you mention are low cost. Do you think the BBC should put on 1 million an hour drama at low audience periods, say in the day time? Do you think that represents VFM?

Secondly the BBC is there to serve all, not just your definition of what is worthy content. There is an audience that enjoys this content.
This discussion has been closed.