Opening and Cleaning PS3 Phat

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Though I have a PS3 Slim as my main console, I still kept my old PS3 Phat around, while the Bluray drive failed years ago, this isn't as big of an issue as you would think since most of my game collection comes from PS Plus these days.

However, what is becoming a problem is the level it's fan noise seems to have started ramping up to lately, I suspect it has gotten dust inside it because it only gets occasional use as a second console. I find after as little as ten minutes it tends to go into 'leaf blower mode' i.e. the highest level of fan noise. Also this is before I even get to gaming on it, it will do this on the menu, on the browser or in the shop so no idea what it would do if I tried to actually run a graphically intensive game on it. :eek:

So basically, I want to pop the lid off and give it a good going over with a air duster or small vacuum to get it good and clean again. Whilst I am comfortable with maintaining and cleaning computers I have less experience with doing this on consoles and the PS3 seems like a totally sealed unit, though I know there must be some way of getting inside it, also if anyone has actually opened it up to clean where is the best place to check/clean for dust build up?

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    Though I have a PS3 Slim as my main console, I still kept my old PS3 Phat around, while the Bluray drive failed years ago, this isn't as big of an issue as you would think since most of my game collection comes from PS Plus these days.

However, what is becoming a problem is the level it's fan noise seems to have started ramping up to lately, I suspect it has gotten dust inside it because it only gets occasional use as a second console. I find after as little as ten minutes it tends to go into 'leaf blower mode' i.e. the highest level of fan noise. Also this is before I even get to gaming on it, it will do this on the menu, on the browser or in the shop so no idea what it would do if I tried to actually run a graphically intensive game on it. :eek:

So basically, I want to pop the lid off and give it a good going over with a air duster or small vacuum to get it good and clean again. Whilst I am comfortable with maintaining and cleaning computers I have less experience with doing this on consoles and the PS3 seems like a totally sealed unit, though I know there must be some way of getting inside it, also if anyone has actually opened it up to clean where is the best place to check/clean for dust build up?

I need to open my old one up soon, to try and retrieve a disc that I think may be stuck inside after YLOD. (Not sure if its possible to get into the Blu-ray drive)

If i remember, there are rubber feet on the left hand side (for when it stands upright) pull those off and there's a screw underneath. Undo that, and the top cover slides off, giving you access to the main body of the console.

DISCLAIMER - I've never actually done it myself, so no guarantees from me that it's easy or won't cause you any problems.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KT5y86Mpoc
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    i done it on the weekend, and it didn't achieve much, in terms of making it run quieter.

after 30mins of last of us it still sounds like a jet taking off.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just dissected my 60Gb launch model and got my LBP2 disc back. :)

Taking it apart was easy, but putting it back together was a little trickier. Gave up in the end, as it's getting junked anyway.
  • heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine has been significantly noisier in the last few weeks, but now we've had a few cooler days it's quietened down again.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here mines really starting to get loud to, i do hope the Ps4 wont have this issue.