God Of War: Ascension

ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,390
Forum Member
✭✭
Anybody picking this up? Released on Friday, GAME just shipped my order today.

Played the demo and enjoyed it; follows the same sort of formula as GOWIII, of course, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I didn't enjoy the online beta so it wasn't really a selling point for me, but have always enjoyed the single-player God Of War experience.

Another big selling point - apparently this comes with access to The Last Of Us demo at some point in the near future!

Comments

• SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep! Preordered from amazon! :)
  • akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think it's important for me, to have played the previous games, before i play this one, or will i be able to play this one and get straight into it.
    If so i may buy it next tuesday when i get paid.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will probably pick it up when it's on platinum range
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    akhenaten wrote: »
    Do you think it's important for me, to have played the previous games, before i play this one, or will i be able to play this one and get straight into it.

It's a prequel so it shouldn't matter if you've played the others or not! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    akhenaten wrote: »

Probably not, but i'd guess there might be references you won't get that aren't important to the story

Since pretty much ever game is the same, i'd suggest just getting the HD collection of the first two games, it'll be a cheaper way to test the waters
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Thrown a couple of hours into this. It seems like more of the same with a few minor tweaks, but that's fine by me, it washes away the bitter taste of metal gear revenginatorz quite nicely.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My copy arrived this morning but I haven't been able to enjoy the campaign due to the audio dropouts. It's much worse than in Max Payne 3 (which Rockstar will probably never fix). The multiplayer isn't too bad though.

Hopefully another patch will be released soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Me and my buddy began playing through this as a commentated lets play today, it would be a big hand if you check us out :) cheers
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Single-player is a bit of a let down so far.

It's good, but it doesn't come close to matching GOW III in terms of scale and epicness. Aside from the opening 'Prison of the Damned' boss battles, there hasn't really been too much here to write home about...even God Of War II on last-gen hardware was rocking some better setpieces.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its good but without familiar characters from greek mythos (at least not familiar to me) it doesn't feel as good

In the three previous numbered games i've known who the enemies are and where i'm going in this one it's not so clear

The Set pieces that there have been so far are as great as you come to expect from the series and the boss fights are plentiful and all great as well

If i was rating the game where i'm upto now
    Just after you get to the oracle and she dies after telling you where to go
    then i'd still rate it pretty high but it'd be lower than the others so i'd say GOW3 was a 10 personally but this i'd say is an 8

I do like the trophy
    Quaid!!!
    that made me actually lol

Just a shame that another trophy had to be changed because people couldn't take a joke
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty average thats how I'd describe GoW:A :( (tripleA title it certainly ain't!!!)
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Just finished this the last boss was so epic i loved the design of it kinda creepy looking definatly made up for the dull boss fights in the game

Overall though the game was kinda meh on the story but i had a blast playing it enjoyed solving the puzzles aswell.

Did the dreaded trials of archmedes was playing on normal btw after about 7 or 8 trys lol it could have been worse i was expecting to be stuck at it for hours the way the reviews were going on :rolleyes: i also hear its going to be patched really is this how sad gaming is now anything with a little bit of challange has to be patched:rolleyes: im no expert at gaming if I could do it after a good few trys anyone can
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    Just finished this the last boss was so epic i loved the design of it kinda creepy looking definatly made up for the dull boss fights in the game

Overall though the game was kinda meh on the story but i had a blast playing it enjoyed solving the puzzles aswell.

Did the dreaded trials of archmedes was playing on normal btw after about 7 or 8 trys lol it could have been worse i was expecting to be stuck at it for hours the way the reviews were going on :rolleyes: i also hear its going to be patched really is this how sad gaming is now anything with a little bit of challange has to be patched:rolleyes: im no expert at gaming if I could do it after a good few trys anyone can

I'd usually agree with this but if a Dev comes out and basically says it wasn't meant to be that hard and that they ****ed up then i'm all for them making their game how they want it to be
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I'd usually agree with this but if a Dev comes out and basically says it wasn't meant to be that hard and that they ****ed up then i'm all for them making their game how they want it to be

Are they not just saying that now though because just reading about this part could be kinda off puting to people who could be interested in picking this up aswell as the average reviews it probky wouldt help
    Forum Member
    Jesus the making off videos on this one are so crap and boring

Cyclops blah blah blah
    Multiplayer blah blah blah blah

Each video so far is like the same one before it thevids in previous games were alot better
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    Are they not just saying that now though because just reading about this part could be kinda off puting to people who could be interested in picking this up aswell as the average reviews it probky wouldt help

I don't know, maybe
    they could of just known it was a mistake but wanted to test the waters and see how people would react before spending time fixing it

I'm not even up to the part myself yet so i don't know if i'll find it hard myself
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not up to that part either but after reading horror stories of people smashing controllers in the first God Of War because of the 'column of doom' in Hades - a gameplay section I completed first-time with little difficulty, and repeated this in every subsequent playthrough - I do have to take reviewers opinions on difficulty with a grain of salt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I'm not up to that part either but after reading horror stories of people smashing controllers in the first God Of War because of the 'column of doom' in Hades - a gameplay section I completed first-time with little difficulty, and repeated this in every subsequent playthrough - I do have to take reviewers opinions on difficulty with a grain of salt.

Is that the part in the underworld where you claim up the spinning columns but one hit makes you fall to the bottom again? If it is then i'm pretty sure it took me two tries to get the gold trophy for getting to the top without getting hit

That was so easy that i had to wonder about the complaints myself
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Is that the part in the underworld where you claim up the spinning columns but one hit makes you fall to the bottom again? If it is then i'm pretty sure it took me two tries to get the gold trophy for getting to the top without getting hit

That was so easy that i had to wonder about the complaints myself

Yep that's the one.

Personally I found the horizontal ones that changed direction and had the Harpes attacking you at the same time to be much more difficult! But the reviewers never mentioned that bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Ascension is amazing imo! me and my buddys have been playing it non stop the past three days, dabbling to and fro between single and multiplayer modes. it has alot to offer all round, and I think the multiplayer was a definate hit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completed the Trials of Archimedes and the game yesterday.

As I expected, Trials of Archimedes were tough but their difficulty has been wildly exaggerated. This isn't an exhaustive list but I found all of the below harder than it:

- Ares boss battle in GOW (still the hardest part from any of the games)
    - Battle to the Loom Chamber in GOW II
    - 'Save The Chain From The Minotaurs!' battle in the Labyrinth in GOWIII
    - Zeus in GOW III

The only annoying thing is the lack of save points, but once you know what enemies are coming up it's easy enough. Having said that though, from start to finish I found Ascension the most challenging GOW yet, but I think that's mainly because of the updated combat system.

Ending boss in Ascension is the best looking/most visually impressive one yet, even more so than Hades in GOW III.

All-time favourite boss battle though is still the Sisters of Fate in GOWII. The whole idea with trapping them in the mirrors was incredibly clever.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing this sold under expectations, i'm already seeing it under £25 online!

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps3/god-of-war-ascension/10605045.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    I'm guessing this sold under expectations, i'm already seeing it under £25 online!

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps3/god-of-war-ascension/10605045.html
    I wouldn't read too much into that. Tomb Raider is currently the best selling game of 2013 and Zavvi are selling it cheaper and they change their prices almost daily. Right now Syndicate (awesome game) is £8.98. Check back in a day or two and it could be under £8 or it might go back up to £14.99.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the GOW games, but haven't played GOW3 for years.

I'm a bit confused with this new one.... it hasn't said when it's set? Is it set before the original GOW? What's the plot?!

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    I love the GOW games, but haven't played GOW3 for years.

I'm a bit confused with this new one.... it hasn't said when it's set? Is it set before the original GOW? What's the plot?!

Thanks
    Yes it is set before the first game. Plot.