New Formula 1 deal - Sky and BBC

Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BBC will be only showing half of the races from 2013-2018 in a new deal just announced. Sky Sports will show all of them. Radio 5 will have the commentary to all races and BBC will also show highlights from the races it doesn't transmit as well as the qualifying sessions and practice runs for those it does.
BBCs transmissions will include Silverstone, Monaco and the concluding race.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

Comments

• peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats a loss for f1, I for one will watch itv motersport instead i won't get sky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Hugely disappointed. There is another thread covering this here where I've just vented some anger/frustration.

A very sad day for F1 fans. :mad: :cry::(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Quite agree, a very sad day for F1. My 4 year old is an avid F1 fan, will sit and watch entire races and knows most of the drivers, but new fans like him wont ever get into it when its on Sky. I certainly wont be buying it for the races but will miss watching them.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the ironic thing is most people I know already have a full sky sports subscription. I see it as a luxury product. But most people i know dont, and combined with the fact there was no digital tv here until recently apart from the sky option, its no wonder so many of them have it already.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who's desperate for it can add another LNB arm to their dish & point @ 19 deg E, it's free on RTL.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do they have a web feed (free).
    and, can the extra LNB be fitted to a Sky Mini dish?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will watch it on tf1 hd 13deg in hd
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    can the extra LNB be fitted to a Sky Mini dish?
    Anything can be engineered but it probably won't get much signal on a minidish. However, it might be adequate on a dry day if you are located near the centre of the satellite "footprint".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryhhh wrote: »
    Hugely disappointed. There is another thread covering this here where I've just vented some anger/frustration.

What brought down the News of the World wasn't people complaining to the editor but people complaining to the directors of the companies that advertised in the paper. The advertisers had the power to kill it!

If you don't like what is happening why not ask your MP why banks such as Royal Bank of Scotland are spending effectively what is tax payers money sponsoring F1? Why not contact the heads of the UK based companies sponsoring the events suggesting that they will be paying too much now that it may be seen by fewer people.

Personally, even though I watch F1 on TV I find it somewhat hyped up and most races are boring. There are much more interesting motor sports out in the real world that would be much more entertaining and cost the BBC a lot less to cover.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    do they have a web feed (free).
    and, can the extra LNB be fitted to a Sky Mini dish?
    Probably need a 60cm dish minimum, search for multi lnb and you'll find a load of help threads on it.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Anyone who's desperate for it can add another LNB arm to their dish & point @ 19 deg E, it's free on RTL.

Or watch the 'missing' races 2 - 3 hours delayed on the BBC, like many do for early morning races anyway. People just need to adapt.
  • jacko 2jacko 2 Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Don't see how this deal will be good for formula one the BBC could cover over 30 million plus more on Astra you can see this is a big money deal from Sky, and how many viewers
    will be viewing on Sky Sports they will be lucky if they make a million.
    The way Sky is going it's like a cancer it will end up taking all sports and movies this is unfair compotation.:(
    If it comes to the crunch Sky should offer it on pay pair view
    if you don't want to take the sport packages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have signed
  • carvellcarvell Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Or watch the 'missing' races 2 - 3 hours delayed on the BBC, like many do for early morning races anyway. People just need to adapt.
    I think Bernie changed his mind on that. He did initially say that the BBC will repeat them in full a couple of hours later, but then backtracked and said that BBC will only be able to show the highlights of the missing races, rather than the full thing.
    ‘Bernie assured me, and I asked him several times, the deferred coverage will not be highlights, it will be a full race. If it increases the total viewership, and it maintains the ability of free to air for all of the viewing public in the UK, then cautiously it’s good news, isn’t it?’

But the assertion that races not shown live on the BBC will be shown in full later was open to debate on Friday night. Ecclestone said later it was indeed a highlights package for the BBC.
  • MikembeMikembe Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »

Then just turn the sound off and listen to the commentary on Radio 5 Live :D

Mikembe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikembe wrote: »
    Then just turn the sound off and listen to the commentary on Radio 5 Live :D

Will it be on BBC radio?
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see from next year for me to watch F1 I will be watching the whole season on the internet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dagnabit1 wrote: »

But who is it aimed at? Bernie? BBC? The sponsors?
  • carvellcarvell Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan_m wrote: »
    Will it be on BBC radio?
    Yes, the deal only affects TV.

I will be adding another LNB to my minidish and picking up RTL on 19E. There are some success threads on here with a 45cm sky dish.
  • borisd0borisd0 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Simples,

Persuade ( I use this in the loosest possible way) the government to starve the BBC of money and all the Crown Jewels will fall into the $Ky basket sooner or later.

It may take a few elections though.

I believe the license payer has been asked to pick up some of the bill for the monitoring & external services. Seems like stealth tax to me,
  • MikembeMikembe Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    We'll have to "Hack" into the Murdochs' mobile phones and find out what their next "Take over the World's Media" plan is. :D:D:D

Mikembe
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikembe wrote: »
    We'll have to "Hack" into the Murdochs' mobile phones and find out what their next "Take over the World's Media" plan is. :D:D:D

Mikembe

I assume being quite bright they would have changed their voicemail PINs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter05 wrote: »
    I will watch it on tf1 hd 13deg in hd
    Is that not encrypted? RTL HD also seems to be encrypted so unless this is planned to change anyone hoping to get a 100% live free HD F1 may be disappointed. Although 4 Austrian HD channels seem to be testing in the clear: Sat 1 HD Austria, ProSieben HD Austria, Kabel eins HD Austria, Puls 4 HD Austria, don't know if they'll stay FTA or carry F1 though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I was also considering setting up another dish or LNB to watch on RTL but am concerned that RTL may like the BBC not have F1 next year. Will wait until the first race of 2012 before deciding.
    I have though just managed to have the race running via internet on RTL - reasonable quality and if they keep it in 2012 may be the easiest option!

http://www.rtl.de/formel1/livestream/index