Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    I see Rafa is releasing a book -- can't wait to get it.Champions League Dreams: How European Nights Gave Us Our Pride Back | Hardback

Author: Rafa Benitez |

Due for release on 13 September 2012.

Champions League Dreams is a stimulating and deeply insightful football narrative by Rafa Benitez which focuses on the legendary manager's dramatic six Champions League campaigns with Liverpool. Rafa expertly navigates fans through intriguing European adventures that embrace the triumph and despair of two Champions League finals, three semi-finals and five quarter-finals in what was a golden era for the Anfield club - an era that supporters felt gave them their pride back after years in the wilderness. What sets Champions League Dreams apart is the unique ways in which Rafa allows fans into his high-pressured world, the fascinating glimpses he offers of a top manager's thought processes and decision making during the cut and thrust of a high-octane European campaign. Understand how a great manager prepares for, then executes, a master-plan for European success

Cheers for the "thumbs up" on that. I shall definitely be buying it :)
    Dangerman wrote: »
    Anyone else watching Blackpool v Southampton.

Tom Ince showing us what might have been !!!
    I am yes. I remember posting on this thread that I was disappointed to see him go when he left.
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Yup - Was just thinking the same thing.
    As above I posted I didn't want to see him go in here, and at the time had replies from a couple of posters that they weren't that bothered, no loss etc. I could go drudging through the posts but I can't be bothered. :D

Ince showing more promise than Henderson has for us :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lfcred wrote: »
    Cheers for the "thumbs up" on that. I shall definitely be buying it :)

I am yes. I remember posting on this thread that I was disappointed to see him go when he left.

As above I posted I didn't want to see him go in here, and at the time had replies from a couple of posters that they weren't that bothered, no loss etc. I could go drudging through the posts but I can't be bothered. :D

Ince showing more promise than Henderson has for us :eek:

Not to say he'd perform this well in the PL and under the expectancy of our club though. As Henderson has found out.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I know he isn't even playing today and I am not watching the match tbh but I would really like us to sign Ricky Lambert. The lad is the best player in the Championship according to many, is a prolific scorer and is a fanatical Liverpool fan who would absolutely love to play for us - like Aldo maybe. I would estimate the cost to be 10m so to me its a bit of a no brainer - I know there is no certainty that he will score as much in the PL and he is about 28 which is getting on a bit in football terms but surely it would be worth a gamble to add him to the squad. As well as him I'd maybe want another proven scorer (from overseas?) in too so as to increase our options and competition for places as well as to allow for injuries and suspensions - and prob Carroll out or if not out then not playing much.

That business and some decent midfield creative players meaning 3 or 4 in altogether and we would be better for next season imo as largely the defensive squad is OK. I do not really want to see mega bucks signings (like Dzeko for instance who I see linked), I want low profile lads with talent and hunger to do the job, preferably under 25 - Newcastle can find them as can Sunderland so how about Comolli find some for us!!
    Forum Member
    Not to say he'd perform this well in the PL and under the expectancy of our club though. As Henderson has found out.

True but much less of a financial risk to have kept him and found out. Ince free - Henderson 18m, I know which risk I'd have preferred we took.
    Forum Member
    I know he isn't even playing today and I am not watching the match tbh but I would really like us to sign Ricky Lambert. The lad is the best player in the Championship according to many, is a prolific scorer and is a fanatical Liverpool fan who would absolutely love to play for us - like Aldo maybe. I would estimate the cost to be 10m so to me its a bit of a no brainer - I know there is no certainty that he will score as much in the PL and he is about 28 which is getting on a bit in football terms but surely it would be worth a gamble to add him to the squad. As well as him I'd maybe want another proven scorer (from overseas?) in too so as to increase our options and competition for places as well as to allow for injuries and suspensions - and prob Carroll out or if not out then not playing much.

I agree Alan, again I think a few of us on here have bandied his name about this season. With hindsight I'd have rather threw our money at Southampton when Torres left than at Newcastle. Hindsight I know, but maybe our scouts could have made that call?
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, this is where we need a Facepalm.....Epic Fail Lmfao - http://yfrog.com/od5qqabj
  • SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Tom Ince is doing well at Blackpool, but I'm not convinced he would have made much of an impact/had an opportunity at Liverpool

Shelvey won Championships Young Player of the month in the short time he was sent on loan. What is he doing now ? Warming our bench

It was the best option for Ince to move and get first team football or he'd probably still be stuck in our reserves
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That business and some decent midfield creative players meaning 3 or 4 in altogether and we would be better for next season imo as largely the defensive squad is OK. I do not really want to see mega bucks signings (like Dzeko for instance who I see linked), I want low profile lads with talent and hunger to do the job, preferably under 25 - Newcastle can find them as can Sunderland so how about Comolli find some for us!!

A year or so ago I watched him and thought "Wow, he's at the wrong level and could do a job for us". Then I saw his age. He is now in his 31st year and I don't think we'd take a chance on him now - if he was cheap in January, I'd have taken him as a stop-gap until the summer, definitely.

Dembele, Defoe and, if we can get him, Adam Johnson, would do for me unless we can pull a gem out of the bag from abroad - we're not going to be at the head of the queue for the big names, so I'm just being realistic. Of course, there are plenty of young talents in the lower leagues (Zaha, Rhodes, Powell, Redmond), so we may even take a chance on one of those but we need finished articles primarily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, this is where we need a Facepalm.....Epic Fail Lmfao - http://yfrog.com/od5qqabj

:D:D:D
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of who we could get up front, I want to be optimistic and say that I'd try and go and lure someone like Roberto Soldado and Jan Klaas Huntelaar.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Should have signed Huntelaar ages ago.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    A year or so ago I watched him and thought "Wow, he's at the wrong level and could do a job for us". Then I saw his age. He is now in his 31st year and I don't think we'd take a chance on him now - if he was cheap in January, I'd have taken him as a stop-gap until the summer, definitely.

Dembele, Defoe and, if we can get him, Adam Johnson, would do for me unless we can pull a gem out of the bag from abroad - we're not going to be at the head of the queue for the big names, so I'm just being realistic. Of course, there are plenty of young talents in the lower leagues (Zaha, Rhodes, Powell, Redmond), so we may even take a chance on one of those but we need finished articles primarily.

Is he really in his 31st year? - not so sure now then atlho even then i would not totally dismiss it.

Who to get as a striker is a tough one isn't it - Defoe i think has a bit of an ego which may not fit at LFC but may be an option. With non PL ones there is always the chance of them being a Jason Scotland or Ebanks.Blake who looked world beaters when not in the PL and then hardly scored at all in the PL - and yes there is the danger of that for Lambert too. I used to think Mackail-Smith was decent as he seemed a natural scorer and has a bit of the Dickov about him in that he was always being a nuisance to defenders but then i saw he could not even get in the Brighton side recently and has not scored that much for them so that worried me!! Jordan Rhodes? - well who knows - could be great, could be rubbish and like has been said getting someone as the saviour and seeing them fail is not really an option.

Dembele I think is a good call as a further midfield option.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nervous about the game today. Newcastle haven't got Coloccini but it's not like we're firing on all cylinders goals wise. May not make one iota of difference. Newcastle are totally fired up and they'll be very difficult to beat today.

Going down the pub to watch it with three magpies. Wish me luck :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their defence is as average as they come. Perch, Simpson and Williamson are there for the taking. Carroll and Suarez should be able to boss them you'd think.

Of course, they have Ba and Cisse, so this could be an absolute goalfest. 4-3 to Liverpool I think ;)
    Forum Member
    Their defence might be average, but I'm not confident at all that we'd be able to take advantage of that
    Forum Member
    Confirmed team

Reina Flanagan Carragher Skrtel Enrique Spearing Shelvey Gerrard Bellamy Carroll Suarez

Subs: Doni Aurelio Maxi Henderson Kuyt Coates Downing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confirmed team

Reina Flanagan Carragher Skrtel Enrique Spearing Shelvey Gerrard Bellamy Carroll Suarez

Carragher. Ba and Cisse could have a great time with him. :(

Happy to see starts for Bellamy and Shelvey though. I'm hearing rumours that Aurelio and Stirling are on the bench too, though I don't know how true they are.

EDIT: No Stirling :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bearing in mind our injuries I have no problem with that line up.

I don't think this is the game for the cameo youngster appearance so I'm reasonably happy with the bench.

As a few have suggested this game could be a cracker as I really can't see either defence staying secure for very long, we just need to make sure we convert a few of our chances
    Forum Member
    I never know what to predict with this team. We go from one extreme to another

Newcastle are ahead of us in the league though, so we might decide to up our game against one of the "bigger" sides
  • ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    Could go either way looking at your attack and their central defence .

Not too sure about your midfield today especially as Newcastle are looking good in midfield , in particular looks a threat today .

Can't believe you let Alonso and Mascherano leave , looking at your current options .
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Confirmed team

Subs: Doni Aurelio Maxi Henderson Kuyt Coates Downing

I prefer Skrtle at RCB. He's played his best games there with Agger on the left.
  • SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally Henderson is on the bench I predict a 2-1 win for us. Suarez and Gerrard with Ba getting one for them.
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I prefer Skrtle at RCB. He's played his best games there with Agger on the left.
    Unfortunately Carragher isn't going to move to the left, so Skrtel will have to settle for LCB today

The sooner Agger is back the better
  • Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no! Kenny is playing the slowest team possible today. There is no way Carragher, Flanagan and Skrtel will be able to handle Cisse, BA and Ben Arfa.

My prediction is 3-1 to Newcastle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ZicoZ wrote: »

Can't believe you let Alonso and Mascherano leave , looking at your current options .

What choice did we have? They both wanted out, and we were in colossal debt under Hicks and Gilett. Thankfully, Lucas has stepped up to fill the Mascherano role (sadly he is injured though) but we never did replace Alonso. I was still up for giving Aquilani another chance, but it doesn't look like happening now.
This discussion has been closed.