Daybreak - New Look from Jan 3rd

Comments

• yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Why would there be any novelty value when there has been no relaunch, no major changes, where even the change of Sian to Susanna/Susanna to Louise/Chris Hollins to Sally Nugent were phased in a few weeks prior to the move, and where the format, approach and content is to all intents and purposes, the same?

The only real change is the move to HD and the studio backdrop.

Well I made a point of tuning in on Tuesday for the new set and I am sure I am not the only one
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    Well I made a point of tuning in on Tuesday for the new set and I am sure I am not the only one
    But the set is pretty much the same, no change of red sofa, even the presenters' seating positions on screen are the same, only the backdrop has changed. :D

Yes, of course there will be some new/casual viewers (there always will be), but as there was no trailed relaunch, no real fuss made on the programme about about the Salford move prior to its move, I doubt whether that many of the general public (outside of people with an interest in broadcasting of course) would have watched "just to see what the set or studio was like".
  • YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First ad break only happening now. Is it usual for the first ad break to be after 45mins?
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe no one has booked any ad slots !!!!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When GMTV had its ''Newshour'' from 6-7 am there were rarely any ads (other than promos for ITV programmes). I believe it was something to do with the averages so ITV could have more ads later in the day.
  • GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    When GMTV had its ''Newshour'' from 6-7 am there were rarely any ads (other than promos for ITV programmes). I believe it was something to do with the averages so ITV could have more ads later in the day.

Or .... more likely .... they couldn't sell any advertising space, due to poor viewer demographics and viewing figures ?

A bit like early TVam, with it's endless public info films, and went round interviewing members of the public to get it's viewing figures up, or at least that was the standing joke in-house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    So next week Lucy will move to ITV Nationals next week with Alex Beresford will takeing over. Also has anybody heard any confirmation of Lorraine taking over. I hope these rumors aren't true!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At Last the Axe has Fallen ???

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tv-film-news/daybreak-axed-with-gmtv-style-show-to-replace-809738

ITV is dumping Daybreak - just two years after its disastrous £10million launch.

Alarmed by the defection of thousands of viewers to the BBC, bosses have pulled the plug on the replacement for GMTV.

Bosses fear Daybreak is still *associated with flop presenters Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley and want to return to a GMTV-style setting to win back fans.

A source said of the humiliating U-turn: “If anything this shows that GMTV wasn’t a failing formula after all and should never have been axed.”

Daybreak will be dumped in the autumn, and producers want to dream up a new name after it was decided the “toxic” title was too tied up in the failure of former hosts Chiles and Bleakley.

One suggestion for the new breakfast show is to call it Lorraine after likely host Lorraine Kelly.
    Forum Member
    The new program will be called Good Morning or GMTV!

Kate, Andrew and Lorraine will host!
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate err sorry still BBC for me I cannot stand that Kate G. Her repolsive fake smile and trying to make herself look 20 years younger. Also too many adds for me. I think they should scrap morning tv altogether esp when big breakfast starts later in the year on ch 4.
    Forum Member
    Kate err sorry still BBC for me I cannot stand that Kate G. Her repolsive fake smile and trying to make herself look 20 years younger. Also too many adds for me. I think they should scrap morning tv altogether esp when big breakfast starts later in the year on ch 4.

The thing is The Big Breakfast isn't coming back. Channel 4 are using the Big Brother house fir there para Olympics coverage
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    The new program will be called Good Morning or GMTV!

Kate, Andrew and Lorraine will host!

RUMORED by basically only you! :rolleyes:
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the over trivial This Morning style approach doesn't work any more. Having seen Daybreak last week, the show seems dominated by soap chat, celebrity gossip, phone in competitions and not a lot of real news.
    I think ITV would be best employed dropping the whole breakfast format and showing cartoons, repeats and news updates between 6.30 and 8.30.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, On the first day I said it would not work. Im not going to miss it. What a waste of £10,000,000.:eek:
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,926
    Forum Member
    As the saying goes...

"You can polish a turd but it is still a turd..."

They never learn - if reverting to Garraway et al and upping the orange content didn't improve matters when Chiles and Bleakley went, then bringing back Lorraine Kelly, changing the name and moving back to the GMTV studio set won't either. They are in a death spiral.

Now where is that number for Roland Rat....

Bring back Anne and Nick...all is forgiven! Mind you that is probably their next move.:D
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the News hour 'idea' for ITV's Breakfast programming between 6 and 7. I'd personally just brand that section as a 1 hour 'ITV News' bulletin, with a 5 minute Regional News (Weather and Travel) bulletin at the end*.

* With the other minutes required at present scrapped by Ofcom/ITV (probably as part of ITV News's rumoured rebrand).
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Maybe the over trivial This Morning style approach doesn't work any more. Having seen Daybreak last week, the show seems dominated by soap chat, celebrity gossip, phone in competitions and not a lot of real news.
    I think ITV would be best employed dropping the whole breakfast format and showing cartoons, repeats and news updates between 6.30 and 8.30.
    Perhaps ITV will finally understand that this format of breakfast TV is dead.
  • epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some asked Lucy Verasamy on her Twitter account did she regret leaving Sunrise for Daybreak and her response was "Not at all."

Hardly surprising really she has got more exposure on Daybreak than she did on Sunrise and she's soon going to be doing the ITV national weather at prime time, which will get her a lot more exposure than remaining on Sky News. She's probably the one person who has furthered her career by moving to Daybreak.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope that Dan gets the chop. When he was the guest sports guy on GMTV with his cute smile I loved him. Then he moved to Daybreak as the sports presenter, and I loved him. Then he became the main anchor ... and I wanted to murder him. The guy believes he is the best thing since sliced bread, and he aint. I even think Kate wants to murder him at times. The highlight was when they had a bloke from Emmerdale on last week who shares a snog with a co-actor and Dan said "wow, just wow ... was that as HOT as it looked". It was cringeworthy.
  • philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will they understand its not the name or the set or the presenters (although Kate is terrible).... its the content.

I usually get to see about 30mins whilst getting ready for work.

This consists of about 15mins of ads, 3 mins of plugging an 0898 competition, 5 mins of plugging BGT, 5 mins of Martin Lewis acting like a retard in a park and 2 mins of the special guest ( "Hi.. what are you up to at the moment?" "Well I've got a film/book/soup out soon" "Great.. lets go to an ad break" )
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say Helen fospero looked hot today and fitted in well with Dan. I would watch it more if she was in it more and I cannot stand that Kate garrow woman as main presenter. I take it she is off this week. More of Helen please they looked good together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lobb has said on his Twitter that he has ASKED to leave and ITV have agreed
  • DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ch4 are not bringing back The big breakfast then itv should!

That should be the replacement for Daybreak and would give

Bbc breakfast a run for their money if done in a similar style

like ch4 did- wacky and fun instead of old and fuddy
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say Helen fospero looked hot today and fitted in well with Dan. I would watch it more if she was in it more and I cannot stand that Kate garrow woman as main presenter. I take it she is off this week. More of Helen please they looked good together.

Helen and John this morning, I thought they worked well together too. Helen is like a breath of fresh air on the show.

Lucy Watson continues to impress at the newsdesk too, I hope Helen and Lucy have a big part to play once Lorraine takes over.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fospero and Stapleton are by far the least irritating pair they have.

She's about a million times better than Gurning Garraway.