Samsung 5 series TV

Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have just bought a new TV as mentioned above. It is a Smart TV and we have set it up as recommended with an HDMI lead to the BT Vision box and all seems to be OK.

However, I cannot access the Internet despite purchasing and fitting a dongle into the USB port. I have typed in the name of the Home Hub but it always comes up that it cannot connect to the Internet.

We have a laptop which uses wireless connection but the PC is wired. Do you think this is the problem? The Home Hub is upstairs in the bedroom and the TV downstairs in the lounge.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Which model is the TV?
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The model number is UE40EH5000 and it is 40" full HD LED. Does that help?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong, or have misunderstood the question, but looking at this http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40EH5000KXXU-spec
    The TV does not appear to be internet enabled for accessing apps (IPlayer etc) but will connect to a network so that network connected device (i.e. a PC) can be managed.

Looking at the e-manual there is no reference to apps
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201203/20120307193044523/X9DVBEU4E-ENG.pdf

Found this in the manual

If Your TV Fails to Connect to the Internet
    Your TV may not be able to connect to the Internet because your ISP has permanently
    registered the MAC address (a unique identifying number) of your PC or modem, which
    it then authenticates each time you connect to the Internet as a way of preventing
    unauthorized access. As your TV has a different MAC address, your ISP can not
    authenticate its MAC address, and your TV can not connect.
    To resolve this problem, ask your ISP about the procedures required to connect devices
    other than a PC (such as your TV) to the Internet.
    If your Internet service provider requires an ID or password to connect to the Internet,
    your TV may not be able to connect to the Internet. If this is the case, you must enter
    your ID or password when connecting to the Internet.
    The internet connection may fail because of a firewall problem. If this is the case, contact
    your Internet service provider.
    If you cannot connect to the Internet even after you have followed the procedures of your
    Internet service provider, please contact Samsung Electronics.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Sorry OP, but this TV is not a Smart TV and has no Internet capabilities.
    It seems your only able to connect to your own network to play back media from other devices on the TV.
    According to their web page for this model
    40" EH5000 Series 5 Full HD LED TV

Connectivity

Ethernet (LAN) No

Smart TV Functionality
    Samsung Apps No
    Family Story No
    Samsung SMART TV No
    Search All No
    Fitness No
    Skype™ on Samsung TV No
    Kids No
    Smart Hub No
    Social TV No
    Web Browser No
    Your Video No
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry I put the wrong code in my previous post. It should be UE40ES5500.

Samsung
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    I am sorry I put the wrong code in my previous post. It should be UE40ES5500.

Samsung

Try the general advice about
    "If Your TV Fails to Connect to the Internet"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried an experiment. As I already have BT Vision, I took out the ethernet lead which is in the Vision Box and plugged it into the TV. Lo and behold I could get onto the Internet and all seems well.

However, after ringing the people at "Knowhow" (very helpful), the man I spoke to said that I might have a faulty dongle! :eek: (No it isn't painful). I am now debating whether to buy another ethernet lead and powerline adaptor, or swap the faulty dongle at Currys.

I didn't tell you that when I originally tried to access the Internet on the TV the only router listed was "gingercat" which is my neighbours! And we are in detached houses. :confused:
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried an experiment. As I already have BT Vision, I took out the ethernet lead which is in the Vision Box and plugged it into the TV. Lo and behold I could get onto the Internet and all seems well.

However, after ringing the people at "Knowhow" (very helpful), the man I spoke to said that I might have a faulty dongle! :eek: (No it isn't painful). I am now debating whether to buy another ethernet lead and powerline adaptor, or swap the faulty dongle at Currys.

I didn't tell you that when I originally tried to access the Internet on the TV the only router listed was "gingercat" which is my neighbours! And we are in detached houses. :confused:

When you are connecting to your router using your dongle are you inputting the network key (your router's password) correctly. It will be case sensitive so if it's in capitals only like a Sky router for example, then it has to be inputted as capitals when connecting via your tv.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As the dongle is detecting your neighbour's router it seems unlikely to be faulty.
    You may need to configure the settings manually especially if you have a BT Vision box connected by LAN (and the TV is also working with a LAN connection) as well as other PCs connected to the router (wired or wireless).

This from the manual may help:

IP auto setting failed.

Try the following to set your IP address automatically or set your IP address manually by selecting IP Settings.

• Ensure DHCP server is enabled on router and unplug and re-plug-in the router
    • Check if you need to enter a security key to use the router.
    • Contact your Internet Service Provider for more information
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am definitely inputting the network key correctly, as well as the security key. I have done it about five or six times so far and the last time I tried I was on the phone to the bloke from Knowhow! I have even found out how to input a symbol!

I might have to get onto BT - perhaps I might do it online!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "....set your IP address manually by selecting IP Settings."

This may help - older TV but the principle is the same
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1059465-how-configure-samsung-led-tv-internet-connectivity.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have changed the dongle and will try that. The man at Currys said that the next thing would be to have a word (or two) with BT to upgrade my Home Hub.
  • JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have bought the Samsung SmartTV dongle and not just a random wireless usb dongle?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's to be hoped/seems like it's a Samsung dongle as the neighbour's router is detected

I have a Sony and this an example of Network Settiings . It should read something like this:

IP Address 192.168.1.xxx
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.xx
    Default Gateway 192.168.001.xxx
    Primary DNS 192.168.001.xxx This is always the same as the Default Gateway

On another item connected to the network it reads as above *except* that the last three numbers of the IP address are slightly different
    The PC reads the same but again the last three numbers of the IP address are different

So, for example, if the PC IP address is 192.168.1.456
    The TV IP address would be 192.168.1.457
    And the other item 192.168.1.468

I have had a similar problem when the TV would not connect to the internet but on checking the settings the TV had assigned automatically (wrongly) an IP address the same as one of the others - they must be different.
    Changing the IP address sorted the problem.
    This has to be done through manual settings

How to find your IP address (you probably already know)
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2091470_computer-ip-address-windows.html
  • koiboy01koiboy01 Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    Does your router have a push button on the front , mine does and when I connected my samsung smart tv I just pushed the button on the front of the router and it found it straight away it also had the samsung dongle plugged in.
    koiboy01.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have had a long online and phone conversation with BT and the outcome is that my Home Hub is out of date and I have to ring to order a new one. I'll keep you posted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said I will keep you posted, here is the next episode of the saga of the smart TV!

The new new router arrived this morning and all is well. The Smart TV is working well and I can get the Internet connections such as iPlayer and ITVPlayer now. We have also reduced our download amount as we were not using it sufficiently. So it is costing far less than before. So all in all a good result.

Thanks for any advice you have given me. :D
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Dont know why you have reduced your download limits because watching iPlayer etc will eat up a massive chunk of your download availability.