What happened to James Bond games?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
the news of the layoffs at eurocom after the failure of 007 legends has me thinking, where have the bond games gone wrong

Goldeneye is by some (but not me) thought of as one of the greatest games of all time and i enjoyed the bond games made by EA from the world is not enough through, agent under fire, nightfire, everything or nothing and from russia with love, the only not great EA game being Goldeneye rouge agent

Then activision took over the license and well, it has been bad games ever since with only bloodstone being worth a playthrough but i won't hold my breath for the cliffhanger to be resolved

I never thought i'd say this but EA need to get the rights back so they can save us from more bad bond games

Comments

• The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    They apparently turned into shitty cod clones. That was when I bailed.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blood Stone was the last bond I played, very good game.

I've seen Quantum of solace on xbla, tempted.

Yes I would love to see some new bond games.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Goldeneye 007 N64 is still the best Bond game ever made by some margin, I still play it from time to time and it's a game that sucks me in when I do, I find myself so addicted to it and compelled to play through the entire game, multiplayer is great fun too but in my case hard to find someone who is any good due to the controls, which takes some adjusting to these days.

TWINE on the N64 was also one of the better Bond games, also developed by Eurocom. It might not have come close to Goldeneye but it still had a lot going for it and way more so than the pathetic run of EA Bond games we got last gen.

The only other Bond game I really enjoyed was the Wii reboot, it's not that the game was anything particularly special outside of the references to the original but the controls made it feel special, the Wiimote & Nunchuk really added an extra level of control and interactivity for me.

Blood Stone was ok but it borrowed far too much from Splinter Cell Conviction, so much so that it came off as being a poor clone with some average driving bits thrown in. I enjoyed it in places but it wasn't anything special.

I've not played 007 Legends and don't want to either, I hope the licence goes to some talented developers though. Eurocom are great devs but they were no doubt under pressure from Activision to shit out Legends in time for Skyfall's release.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    They apparently turned into shitty cod clones. That was when I bailed.

^this.

CoD is all bombast and action and spectacle, which is the opposite of James Bond. Just forcing a bloke in a tux into a CoD engine isn't going to cut it.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Blood Stone was the last bond I played, very good game.

I've seen Quantum of solace on xbla, tempted.

Yes I would love to see some new bond games.

Not bad at all. Far better than the film but that's not saying much...
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they just wanted to make a quick buck with the license so paid peanuts for the games and wanted them made in 9 months! The publisher will get what they pay for!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got 007 Legends free with my phone 2 months ago and it's still in the cellophane wrapper. Will get round to testing it sometime :rolleyes:
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legends is terrible but it had so much potential. Goldeneye reloaded is bad too. Bloodstone was the last good Bond game.

I'd like Rare to be given another go at a Bond game. The original Goldeneye was fantastic, shame it's aged badly.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    the only not great EA game being Goldeneye rouge agent

Well, what do expect with a whole game based upon Bond wearing makeup! ;)
  • cockneycockney Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odie8391 wrote: »
    I got 007 Legends free with my phone 2 months ago and it's still in the cellophane wrapper. Will get round to testing it sometime :rolleyes:

Same here, Xperia T & mine is still unopened
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »
    Legends is terrible but it had so much potential. Goldeneye reloaded is bad too. Bloodstone was the last good Bond game.

I'd like Rare to be given another go at a Bond game. The original Goldeneye was fantastic, shame it's aged badly.
    Whats wrong with it?. I thought it was brilliant . Last level on single player was frustrating though.