What ID required for UK internal flights?

RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
Forum Member
✭✭
I've a friend who's travelling from Aberdeen to London & she's been told that her DHL photo id is all that is required to travel.

Does anyone know if she's likely to have problems getting on the flight?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    RubusRoo wrote: »
    I've a friend who's travelling from Aberdeen to London & she's been told that her DHL photo id is all that is required to travel.

My experience tells me that it will depend very much on the airport. Photo ID will definitely be needed. Her DHL badge might be enough in Aberdeen but I doubt that it will get her through security in London coming back. I would strongly advise her to take her passport or photo driving licence.

FYI Here's the RyanAir policy :RyanAir policy I doubt that the others will be much different as the security is handled by the airport not the airline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    If its no great inconvenience for them to take their passport, I'd say take it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    My Dad once used his train photocard to Ireland and back (into Luton)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its no great inconvenience for them to take their passport, I'd say take it.

I agree.
    Whenever I fly, domestic or international I take my passport.
    It makes it easier all round.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just need photo ID - valid forms of photo ID include a passport or a UK driving licence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be on the safe side if your friend can take a passport or drivers license I would because as others have mentioned security is handled by the airport not airline

AJxx
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCUK wrote: »
    My experience tells me that it will depend very much on the airport. Photo ID will definitely be needed. Her DHL badge might be enough in Aberdeen but I doubt that it will get her through security in London coming back.
    there won't be any security/customs/immigration control in london to get through coming off an internal flight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    there won't be any security in london to get through coming off an internal flight

And on the way back............they will have to go through security just like everyone else flying! :eek:
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your answers. She doesn't have a driving licence or passport unforunately.

DHL said it would be ok so I hope it works out for her.
    Forum Member
    With all due respect, DHL don't run the security at Britain's' airports. In my opinion as a very frequent flyer, both Domestic and International, they will have a problem with security. Be clear here, I don't mean Immigration (as they are staying domestic), but the security checks before being allowed airside. I doubt they would get that far, however, as they won't be allowed to check in without valid photo ID that meets the rules.

The only valid acceptable photo ID is a Passport (International) or Photo driving licence (Domestic ONLY) (or maybe European photo ID card like Germany issue) The list on the RyanAir site in post #2 is ideal - I don't see where it says "A DHL photo ID card"? The valid items are known items, in a fixed format, with dedicated details on that they can tell if fake or not - I could photoshop a DHL ID with my picture on FFS!. :eek:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to get my son a passport to fly to Scotland, however, if we get a boat you don't need anything except your ticket.

Not only that but the last time I went I took two completely different people from those named on the original booking and was only asked about the number of people - never identity.

It seems a bit strange but I'm sure there is a good reason for such a lackadaisical approach to security for ferries. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your answers. She doesn't have a driving licence or passport unforunately.

DHL said it would be ok so I hope it works out for her.

Thats nice of them. :D

Of what I have seen, only passport, photo driving licence is acceptable, even on domestic flights.
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    With all due respect, DHL don't run the security at Britain's' airports. In my opinion as a very frequent flyer, both Domestic and International, they will have a problem with security. Be clear here, I don't mean Immigration (as they are staying domestic), but the security checks before being allowed airside. I doubt they would get that far, however, as they won't be allowed to check in without valid photo ID that meets the rules.

The only valid acceptable photo ID is a Passport (International) or Photo driving licence (Domestic ONLY) (or maybe European photo ID card like Germany issue) The list on the RyanAir site in post #2 is ideal - I don't see where it says "A DHL photo ID card"? The valid items are known items, in a fixed format, with dedicated details on that they can tell if fake or not - I could photoshop a DHL ID with my picture on FFS!. :eek:

I rather suspect you're right. I've seen too many episodes of "Airport" etc where people have been turned away because their ID doesn't meet the airports standards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad once used his train photocard to Ireland and back (into Luton)
    :eek: When was that? When I was looking to go to Ireland last year I was told that I'd need a passport as it'd be a flight to a different country. Bit of a bugger really as I was kind of looking forward to it :D (well, for the week that the plan was in the pipeline anyway...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    From Aberdeen - if it's BA then no photo ID if no bags to be checked in - if you have to check in bags then photo ID is required. Most other airlines require photo ID ie passport or drivers license.
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    And on the way back............they will have to go through security just like everyone else flying! :eek:

Yeah? Is there something special about Aberdeen airport?

When I fly Birmingham - Edinburgh and back you just walk off the plane, claim baggage and then walk straight out to the exit of the airports.

Flying back from a few EU countries the last few years (including a couple of times this year), when landing in Birmingham it was the same, except this time you did have to walk past customs of sorts however there is never anyone one there and you don't go through any passport control.
    Forum Member
    FlyBe: http://www.flybe.com/flightInfo/1checkin.htm

Domestic/Republic of Ireland travel

* A valid passport
    * An expired passport (can be used on domestic flights for up to two years after expiry)
    * Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
    * Valid photographic driving licence
    * Valid armed forces identity card
    * Valid police warrant card/badge
    * Valid airport employees security identity pass
    * A child on parent’ s passport is an acceptable form of ID
    * CitizenCard
    * Valid photographic firearm certificate
    * Valid Government-issued identity card
    * SMART card
    * Electoral identity card
    * NUS cards photographic (National Union of Students)
    * Photographic University/College ID card
    * Company ID cards of Nationally recognised companies (photographic)
    * Council issued bus pass (Senior Citizens only)
    * Pension book (as only acceptable form of non-photographic identification)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is another country you know - I have a Scottish passport from when I lived near Edinburgh:D;)

Seriously, like the OPs said, a passport or driving licence is fine. We hired a car when going down south so had our licence for that.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wonder how older people manage? I mean not everyone has a driving licence or passport, if they don't drive or go abroad...
    Forum Member
    Yeah? Is there something special about Aberdeen airport?

When I fly Birmingham - Edinburgh and back you just walk off the plane, claim baggage and then walk straight out to the exit of the airports.

Flying back from a few EU countries the last few years (including a couple of times this year), when landing in Birmingham it was the same, except this time you did have to walk past customs of sorts however there is never anyone one there and you don't go through any passport control.

You misunderstand me sir, when they are returning to Aberdeen and they want to go airside from check-in (at whichever London Airport) then they need to go through security - who WILL require valid photo ID (Passport or Photo driving licence depending on International or Domestic as shown on boarding card). Assuming, as I said, that they have been able to check in without it (which I doubt).

I agree that arriving domestic passengers walk straight out of the airport (pretty much) without being subject to any immigration/passport control/security checks, but when returning they have to pass though security to be able to go airside/ board, domestic or not!
    Forum Member
    You misunderstand me sir, when they are returning to Aberdeen and they want to go airside from check-in (at whichever London Airport) then they need to go through security - who WILL require valid photo ID (Passport or Photo driving licence depending on International or Domestic as shown on boarding card). Assuming, as I said, that they have been able to check in without it (which I doubt).

I agree that arriving domestic passengers walk straight out of the airport (pretty much) without being subject to any immigration/passport control/security checks, but when returning they have to pass though security to be able to go airside/ board, domestic or not!

Sorry, yes, I did misunderstand! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyBe: http://www.flybe.com/flightInfo/1checkin.htm

Domestic/Republic of Ireland travel

* A valid passport
    * An expired passport (can be used on domestic flights for up to two years after expiry)
    * Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
    * Valid photographic driving licence
    * Valid armed forces identity card
    * Valid police warrant card/badge
    * Valid airport employees security identity pass
    * A child on parent’ s passport is an acceptable form of ID
    * CitizenCard
    * Valid photographic firearm certificate
    * Valid Government-issued identity card
    * SMART card
    * Electoral identity card
    * NUS cards photographic (National Union of Students)
    * Photographic University/College ID card
    * Company ID cards of Nationally recognised companies (photographic)
    * Council issued bus pass (Senior Citizens only)
    * Pension book (as only acceptable form of non-photographic identification)
    Hmmm - why don't you need a passport for Eire flights - and, perhaps more importantly, why did the people at the travel agents tell me that I did? :confused::p
    Forum Member
    Dissonance wrote: »
    Hmmm - why don't you need a passport for Eire flights - and, perhaps more importantly, why did the people at the travel agents tell me that I did? :confused::p

There's a no passport required agreement between the UK and Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to bump this from so long agoim jsut wondering if any laws have been changed

do u still need a driving license to go from london to aberdeen?

my husband has no license no passport and only his security (sia) id with his picture on it

would that be acceptable does anyone know? you would think so as he had to have police checks to get it but who knows
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to bump this from so long agoim jsut wondering if any laws have been changed

do u still need a driving license to go from london to aberdeen?

my husband has no license no passport and only his security (sia) id with his picture on it

would that be acceptable does anyone know? you would think so as he had to have police checks to get it but who knows

Worst case you can get a provisional license for £50 and that is valid for anywhere asking for ID.