What if it got canceled? (Again)

Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lets imagine the show got canceled after the first new series
Would Rose have been considered one of the best companions
Would it have been giving a 3rd chance?
Would the classic series still have had the DVDs released?
Would they have done anything for the 50th (ala Dimensions In Time)
Would Chris feel more or less bitter to a return?
I know these questions could never be answered but i like what if's :cool:

Comments

• DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    The classic series DVD's were being released before noWho came along so they would have continued but I guess more people buy them these days then before so they have larger budgets for more extras and special editions now.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if it had failed again with a writer and fan like RTD at the helm, an actor of the caliber of Ecclestone and the budget and timeslot it was given it would have finished the show off, if not permanently then for decades more. It would have been considered damaged goods and not worth the risk. Thankfully it didn't!
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Rose have been considered one of the best companions?

i can only speak for myself, not all fandom.

I quite liked her with Nine, but couldn't stand her with Ten, so I'd have rated her somewhere in the middle of the my list of favourite companions, rather than where she is now, which is right at the bottom of that list.

Anything's possible, but not for several years.

Would the classic series still have had the DVDs released?

Yes.

Would they have done anything for the 50th (ala Dimensions In Time)

Yes.

Would Chris feel more or less bitter to a return?

Who knows?
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »

Isn't this the third chance?

The 1963 start, the 1996 (very) short-lived revival and the current 2005 revival.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »

The 1963 start, the 1996 (very) short-lived revival and the current 2005 revival.

Despite the 7 year gap many consider the 1996 film old who and apart of that era even though it hadn't been on air for about 7 years as I said :p
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the 7 year gap many consider the 1996 film old who and apart of that era even though it hadn't been on air for about 7 years as I said :p

While I understand that people do that, doesn't the first revival have a lot more in common with the new stuff? 1. It is a revival. 2. The Doctor had "touchy-feely" feelings (non-platonic love) for his companion. 3. The longer run time of the episode. and 4. The larger budget and higher production values.

The first revival seems a closer cousin to the current one than it does the original run of the show. Nevertheless, I do understand how people consider it "Classic Doctor Who" if for no other reason than it is not part of the current revival. I just consider it a critter all on its own (because it was and is). :)
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »

Sorry my mistake that was a typo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I think if Who got cancelled agin, it woudl be allowed to rest and be ressurected again at soem point in the future. The series is timeless can be brought back in the future adapted for the audience at the time.

Star Trek is another of those. It got cancelled, got revived years later and even had various spin offs and movies. Now it has been revived again, and they have found a way of going back to the very origins and starting afresh for a whole new generation.

Given the very nature of Who and its time travel theme, Who would have it even easier than trek to find a similar concept to revive (and reboot if they saw it fit) itself from the ashes. It woudl be very easy to introduce a new concept which erases time and takes us back to the origins of the story complete with a new start for a new Doctor at the point where he escapes Gallifrey with the tardis and it could easily be an all new First Doctor. Im sure if they needed to they could easily develop a story to this or similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC decide to rest the show after the next (last?) actor decides to leave the role.

Even if they find a way to reboot his regenerations , I wouldn't
    Put anything past 'that lot'
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    I think if Who got cancelled agin, it woudl be allowed to rest and be ressurected again at soem point in the future. The series is timeless can be brought back in the future adapted for the audience at the time.

Star Trek is another of those. It got cancelled, got revived years later and even had various spin offs and movies. Now it has been revived again, and they have found a way of going back to the very origins and starting afresh for a whole new generation.

Given the very nature of Who and its time travel theme, Who would have it even easier than trek to find a similar concept to revive (and reboot if they saw it fit) itself from the ashes. It woudl be very easy to introduce a new concept which erases time and takes us back to the origins of the story complete with a new start for a new Doctor at the point where he escapes Gallifrey with the tardis and it could easily be an all new First Doctor. Im sure if they needed to they could easily develop a story to this or similar.
    This idea was flying around when the rumour-mongers (or, as I prefer to call them, cranks and liars) were claiming that Matt Smith would be playing a young version of the Hartnell Doctor. But seriously, what would a reboot add to Doctor Who? The regeneration limit can be reset without a series reboot, so there would be no benefit whatsoever in junking the previous fifty years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    This idea was flying around when the rumour-mongers (or, as I prefer to call them, cranks and liars) were claiming that Matt Smith would be playing a young version of the Hartnell Doctor. But seriously, what would a reboot add to Doctor Who? The regeneration limit can be reset without a series reboot, so there would be no benefit whatsoever in junking the previous fifty years.

I agree. I just commented on the OP and threw about ideas for the hell of it LOL. It would be an enormously stupid decision from a marketing perspective disregarding the previous 50 years with a complete reboot IMHO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    I agree. I just commented on the OP and threw about ideas for the hell of it LOL. It would be an enormously stupid decision from a marketing perspective disregarding the previous 50 years with a complete reboot IMHO

Seconded! :D Besides its not going to get canned anytime soon. It is one of the BBC's most successful franchises currently and they are literally raking it in. The DVDs are selling like hot cakes, not to mention t-shirts, toy models, dolls, sonic screwdrivers and other such collectibles. It would take more than relatively low viewing figures to cancel the show, it would have to become unimaginably unpopular around the world. In other words its not happening, ok I don't know what's going to happen way down the line but as things currently stand no fan has anything to worry about. :sleep: :D :cool: