Game Dev Simulator launches, upsets pirates

jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
Forum Member
After two years of development the game went up for sale yesterday, but the developers also considered those who might want to pirate it.

In addition to putting out a legit copy the brothers also released a cracked game which they voluntarily shared on The Pirate Bay. This modified version of the game comes with a slight change in gameplay.

A few hours into the game players of the “cracked” copy see a rather depressing in-game note, telling them that their virtual game is being heavily pirated.

Soon after that the player’s funds start to decrease. The other games they release are hit by piracy as well, resulting in the bankruptcy of the virtual gaming company they had just built up.

initially we thought about telling them their copy is an illegal copy, but instead we didn't want to pass up the unique opportunity of holding a mirror in front of them and showing them what piracy can do to game developers,” Greenheart’s Patrick Klug explains in a blog post.

Soon after Greenheart Games uploaded the cracked copy thousands of people downloaded it, and some pirates started to share their struggles online. As it turns out, pirates can get very frustrated with their virtual counterparts.

“Why are there so many people that pirate? It ruins me!” one pirate complained.

“I even tried making a cheap shitty game so the pirate message will pass, but the next game I make with the rest of my money will be pirated too,” another one whined.

http://torrentfreak.com/game-pirates-whine-about-piracy-in-game-dev-simulator-130429/

This just made my day, got to be funniest thing I've seen in gaming industry for a while.

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D

Awesome
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Rather ironic seeing as they ripped off Kairosoft's Game Dev Story.

Then they uploaded a pirated version of their own app to demonstrate how pirated it was - PR stunt because the game was selling well as a clone of a mobile game and wasn't getting good reviews.

Still it seems to have worked for them in terms of publicity.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seoulite wrote: »

Then they uploaded a pirated version of their own app to demonstrate how pirated it was - PR stunt because the game was selling well as a clone of a mobile game and wasn't getting good reviews.

Still it seems to have worked for them in terms of publicity.

A good point about the "rip off" aspect of the game, but I still think this is an excellent way to live "with piracy". Seed a "pirate" version of your game with some small difference that makes the game playable to a certain point, and then change the balance of gameplay so that they player looses.

You're unlikely to get any more sales from that method, but you'll certainly have some satisfaction of having pissed off some free loaders, and making it less likely that the actual build of your game will end up being pirated.

I like it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seoulite wrote: »

Yep, When i first heard about it, i thought it was Game Dev Story but for the PC.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Ingenious isn't it. Love it.
    Forum Member
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    A good point about the "rip off" aspect of the game, but I still think this is an excellent way to live "with piracy". Seed a "pirate" version of your game with some small difference that makes the game playable to a certain point, and then change the balance of gameplay so that they player looses.

You're unlikely to get any more sales from that method, but you'll certainly have some satisfaction of having pissed off some free loaders, and making it less likely that the actual build of your game will end up being pirated.

I like it.

The thing is though it that far from responding to piracy they actively precipitated the piracy.

Before they uploaded the torrent there was hardly a clamour for a pirate version (a la SimCity).

It's simply a marketing stunt which like you say probably won't generate many more sales but it has been relatively successful in spinning the fact they've blatantly ripped off another firm's IP and are charging double for the privilege.

I've no sympathy at for this dev at all.

If he thinks any of the 90% plus who pirated would have paid $8 for a PC clone of a mobile game then he's crazy.

I bought for little more you can have the Complete GTA collection on Steam (I picked up LA Noire Complete Edition for $5.75).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this game developed purely to do this?

What other games have had stuff like this, I think batman couldn't fly (glide) in arkham asylum and there was an invincible monster in serious sam.

Pretty funny, but also pretty dangerous if not done right and legit customers get hit with it (not heard of any yet though).
    Forum Member
    Anyway, the pirates released a working version earlier today.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not possible for devs to upload sh!t loads of files the same size as the legal download so that pirates eventually get fed up with having to download gigs of data to get to the working pirate version? Would that not discourage piracy to a degree? Or does it not work like that?
    Forum Member
    That's been a tactic of many of the big media / games companies in the past but I'm sure as any half-baked lawyer would have told them (especially after the Sony DRM lawsuit) you're on very shaky legal ground employing those kinds of tactics (ie. you could been seen to be promoting / condoning piracy).

The new tactic seems to be working with (especially freeware - who are also trying to up-sell to their freeware customers mind) AV companies to get cracks reported as false positives (to reinforce the "virus" laden pirate version image).
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This guy just had a fantastic idea on his stream

http://www.twitch.tv/sevadus

Take all the simulator games, and merge them into one MMO

Train Sim, Flight Sim, Farm Sim, Euro Truck Sim... all part of a big MMO world, so all the
    vehicles you see in the game, are player controlled

I'm sure endless fun could be had.... it's gotta happen
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PR Stunt or not, it's a great idea :)
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Several developers have been doing this for years to annoy pirates. Although in this case I think it is more for publicity as I doubt the pirates would even have bothered to crack this game.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a "pirate" I applaud this. What a great tactic. :D