Want to try something different.

Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
Forum Member
Hi im looking for a bit of advice.

All my life ive only ever worn tom boy clothes. Im always in jeans, t shirts and converse shoes.

Id like to try wearing more feminine and flattering clothes but have no idea where to start.

I see dresses and shoes i love online but they are all the sort of thing youd wear for a night out. Im looking for more items that can be worn at home, at the cinema, restaurants etc.

I love looking at high heels but ive never been able to walk in them!

When i go shopping i try and look for feminine items to give me a different look but always end up buying more jeans tshirts or hoodies!

Im basically like that woman from miss congeniality but i want to look girly and pretty but have no idea where to start!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    hi

I have the exact same problem. I'm ok when I'm actually going out and i can dress up but I struggle to wear anything other than jeans and converse on a daily basis.

I think the best thing (in cold weather) is flat mid-calf boots like these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rocket-Dog-Womens-Sugar-Daddy/dp/B002JM1UEC

With either leggings or tights, and a jumper dress, or if its slightly warmer a tea dress something like these:

http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Sleeveless-Smock-Dress-In-Swallow-Print/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2793458&cid=8799&Rf980=3675,3672,3668,3674&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Print

http://www.asos.com/Vero-Moda/Vero-Moda-Mini-Belted-Dress-With-Aeroplane-Print/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2787582&cid=8799&Rf980=3675,3672,3668,3674&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Rapturerose

I think its a nice easy casual look, which is still feminine because your wearing a dress, but it wont put you too much out of your comfort zone and you can build from there. If you struggle in heels i'd definately reccommend trying out clarks shoes. In the summer you could maybe wear something like these:

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20354055

They should be easy to walk in as they are not too high by the look of picture ( cant believe clarks do not give the heel height!) and they are feminine and should be comfy

Hope this helps :)
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Thanks :) i can just about walk in wedges and the shoes like what you linked from clarks. The problem i had when i looked in town is a lot of the wedges were thin at the back so when i tried them on they felt like heels.

I wondered if the hidden wedge boots that look similar to converses would be any good to wear with jeans? I know they arent really feminine but reviews ive read say they are comfortable and easy to walk in. I wonder if that would be a start to wear something that would make me walk like i had heels but without the worry of falling over!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't walk in heels either so I always wear either flat shoes or boots on a night out.

It means I have to bear that in mind when choosing an outfit but it hasn't restricted my choice that much. There are plenty of dresses which look good with flats or boots.
  • LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »

All my life ive only ever worn tom boy clothes. Im always in jeans, t shirts and converse shoes.

Id like to try wearing more feminine and flattering clothes but have no idea where to start.

I see dresses and shoes i love online but they are all the sort of thing youd wear for a night out. Im looking for more items that can be worn at home, at the cinema, restaurants etc.

When i go shopping i try and look for feminine items to give me a different look but always end up buying more jeans tshirts or hoodies!

Im basically like that woman from miss congeniality but i want to look girly and pretty but have no idea where to start!

You sound like me! I'm just wondering whether you would feel comfortable dressing in a more feminine way? I've tried to change the way I dress a few times but I feel uncomfortable and in my eyes, never seem to look right even though I'm petite etc and not manly looking! :D
    Forum Member
    Hmm i know what you mean! I think its just i watch tv and see other women wearing nice clothes and shoes and i want to try wearing similar stuff but when i go shopping i always get drawn to what i already have!

When i was about ten or eleven i was overweight (well i always have been but didnt notice it until that age!) and through my teens my highest size was around a 16. I always wore jeans and baggy tops to try and hide it. In my later teens i lost weight and am now a 10-12 but i still wear the same sort of clothes ive always worn.

Its only now i feel confident enough that i could wear different styles without the worry of what i look like!
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member

How old are you? If you wanted to wear a dress now and then, but not feel over-the-top, a jersey dress would be perfect.

Like this.

http://www.very.co.uk/holly-willoughby-floral-printed-jersey-dress/1140173156.prd?aff=google&affsrc=froogle&cm_mmc=froogle-_-CLOTHING_AND_FOOTWEAR_LADIESWEAR_LADIES_DRESSES_HOLLY_DRESSES-_-2974A-_-Floral_Printed_Jersey_Dress&istCompanyId=3bdc6c74-7f2d-4594-839e-e5b39b2661fb&istItemId=qimrltrr&istBid=t

Or this

http://www.next.co.uk/x512126s3#138659x51

You can dress plainer ones up too with a bold necklace.
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »

Im 24. Thanks for the links i will check them out :D i guess im looking for a way to gradually start wearing more flattering feminine clothes and shoes without going from one extreme to the other!
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At 24 it's time to ditch the teenage boy clothing, so don't buy anymore unisex stuff like hoodies and converse trainers. Think about what colours suit your colouring and buy a few investment pieces, such as nice leather boots to wear with skirts/dresses , a ¾ raincoat, well cut jeans and good black trousers. Opaque black tights look smart with flats or heels , dresses and skirts, and dress up a plain coat with a bold statement scarf. Classic pieces like these will always stand you in good stead . Well done on the weight loss - makes for a happier you when clothes shopping :)
  • cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP you sound just like me when I was that age :)

It's a good idea to ease yourself in gradually and I think Winter/Spring is a good time to start because you can wear thick tights or leggings and more 'sensible' shoes.

Footwear-wise, I think there's a lot of choice around at the moment if you don't want girly high heels: wedges, ankle or calf-length boots, ballet pumps, loafers, brogues, moccasins - any of those would look fine with a dress.

You could wear dresses with a blazer, boyfriend cardigan or denim or leather jacket to de-girlify them a bit more too. You're young enough to experiment so go for it!

I like boohoo.com for cheap dresses. If you look through their 'day dresses' section, there are some nice ones in among the mega-short ones and the ones with bits cut out!

Paisley dress with pockets and three-quarter length sleeves:
    http://www.boohoo.com/restofworld/dresses/day-dresses/icat/daydresses/day-dresses/amelia-paisley-pocket-front-contrast-dress/invt/azz62781

Flowery dress with three-quarter sleeves (but not too girly I don't think):
    http://www.boohoo.com/restofworld/dresses/day-dresses/icat/daydresses/day-dresses/hannah-belted-34-sleeve-dress/invt/azz62548

T-shirt midi dress:
    http://www.boohoo.com/restofworld/dresses/day-dresses/icat/daydresses/day-dresses/lucy-cap-sleeve-tshirt-midi-dress/invt/azz53371

Skater dress:
    http://www.boohoo.com/restofworld/dresses/day-dresses/icat/daydresses/autumn-winter-tv-ad/polly-folk-print-skater-dress/invt/azz62759
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gosh I do feel for you

I hit my forties and now at 47 for some reason I've lost my way in clothing. No idea why, I always wore classic clothes, very feminine, pretty makeup and hair done and always looked smart. Was never really fashionable but you could say I was stylish but in a classic way.

I struggle to find things, and I love looking at clothes online or in the shops and pick up and tryon and just look at myself in the mirror and think what a mess, I look like a frump and just awful in anything. I put everything back and end up in my same old clothes which are jeans, a rubbish cheap top and walking boots

Just can't seem to get out of it at all
    Forum Member
    Footwear-wise, I think there's a lot of choice around at the moment if you don't want girly high heels:

Thank you for the links, i love boohoo!

The problem with the bit i quoted is although i only wear converse, these are my dream shoes that id love to wear

http://www.boohoo.com/restofworld/footwear/high-heels/icat/highheels/new-in-footwear/belle-pink-metallic-trim-platform-heels/invt/azz64928

However i fear that is probably a bit drastic :D

I see plenty of shoes and things i like but have no clue putting things together without it looking over the top.

And muddipaws i know the feeling! I have loads of clothes but always seem to wear the same few items and when i buy new clothes which isnt very often, i tend to stick to similar things to what i already have!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the links, i love boohoo!

The problem with the bit i quoted is although i only wear converse, these are my dream shoes that id love to wear

http://www.boohoo.com/restofworld/footwear/high-heels/icat/highheels/new-in-footwear/belle-pink-metallic-trim-platform-heels/invt/azz64928

However i fear that is probably a bit drastic :D

I see plenty of shoes and things i like but have no clue putting things together without it looking over the top.

And muddipaws i know the feeling! I have loads of clothes but always seem to wear the same few items and when i buy new clothes which isnt very often, i tend to stick to similar things to what i already have!

Oh wow, those shoes are quite a change from Converse! You couldn't wear those with jeans and hoodies :D
    Forum Member
    Oh wow, those shoes are quite a change from Converse! You couldn't wear those with jeans and hoodies :D

:D

Thats my problem. I like wearing converse because theyre so comfortable but the shoes i love the look of are like the ones i posted.

Various places suggest buying a small heel and working up but i just look at high shoes and love them and can picture myself wearing them but when i try any on in the shop i cant stand up!

At the minute im debating trying to get some wedge ankle boots and maybe wearing them with skinny jeans and a nice girly top. Thats a bit of a change from my usual but not so drastic that my friends and family will think im a bit loopy :D

Eta atm i have one pair of skinny jeans that actually look quite nice. All my other jeans are baggy and faded and just a bit horrible lol i know jeans arent the most feminie thing but if i team skinny jeans up with a nice top and maybe some jewellery it will look different to scruffy jeans, baggy t shirt and a hoody!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go for it, that sounds really nice! I think skinny jeans can look feminine and even smart, depending on what you wear with them. You could try some pastel or bright coloured ones to be more girly.

I like wedges, they're a good compromise between flats and heels, they're easy to walk in and go with just about anything.
    Forum Member
    I have a dentist appointment next thursday so im thinking of going shopping afterwards to reward myself. Thinking of getting some wedges to try, skinny jeans and maybe a few tops and see how it goes.