David Bowie Announces New Album

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Song's OK, nothing special. Pretty mournful ballad for a comeback.

Think it's deliberately meant to be reflective rather than mournful. It's a grower for sure.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that was really rather wonderful. Just wonderful.....
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say, I love the new single. What a lovely present David's given to all his fans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    It's grown on me more and more after further listens. Now I know some of the meaning behind the lyrics, it puts more heart into the song. I love it. Happy Birthday David!
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hope there's a vinyl edition
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Producer talking here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20953094

Album has been two years in the making. "Where are we now?" is a unique song and the rest of the album isn't the same style. Which makes sense. If the entire album was like that it wouldn't work.

I like the song and the video and I agree with others.. it's art. It's someone looking back at a particular time in their life. I really like it. A few people have said it will appeal more to an older audience who can perhaps relate to looking back. So maybe his older fans will appreciate it more.

I don't know why people are so worried the album won't work or will be bad. Why does it even matter? Bowie has nothing to prove. He's 66. He doesn't have to sell millions of albums. Take it for what it is.. a 66 year old artist creating something and sharing it with us. He didn't have to.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I hope the rumours are untrue that he's not ill..

If you turn that on its head somewhat and ask the question Does he look well?, it becomes difficult to believe he's in the best of health, something which is of course no one's business but his own. He's 66 years old. He's a human being, not an immortal alien. All people of his age have seen better days.

It would just be a shame that if his voice has gone due to illness or age, that no one close to him says that he should exit stage left and enjoy his retirement. No one wants to see a once great artist at the lowest ebb of their powers.

And as for people getting excited because they hope to see Bowie touring again, they need to grab Major Tom and get him to bring them back to Ground Control. The guy has completely lost his vocal ability.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy has completely lost his vocal ability.

I think you should have saved that comment until the album is released.

He first tried this world weary looking back remorseful vocal style (circa Johnny Cash - Hurt) back on his Baal EP (1981); and has done it a number of times since notably on Thursday's Child; The Loneliest Guy; Slip Away & Bring Me the Disco King.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The copy they have played on the media seemed to be some bad youtube rip of a rip, the HD version on Bowie's site/VEVO, now on youtube sounds better, although s'not my favourite, seems to use some annoying voice processing at times which grates on me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The album cover is both anarchic and disappointing. Did Banksy do it?
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He first tried this world weary looking back remorseful vocal style (circa Johnny Cash - Hurt) back on his Baal EP (1981); and has done it a number of times since notably on Thursday's Child; The Loneliest Guy; Slip Away & Bring Me the Disco King.

The style suits this song perfectly, and I love it. Tremendously evocative.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    The album cover is both anarchic and disappointing. Did Banksy do it?
    http://virusfonts.com/news/2013/01/david-bowie-the-next-day-that-album-cover-design/

Love the song. Love the video. Love the bit where he puffs his lips (made me laugh).

Dave, we've missed you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Finally listened to Where Are We Now (was frightened it would be awful) and I love it.
    He sounds so vulnerable and reflective. I think it works wonderfully.
    And..
    Dave, we've missed you.
    ..this. :)
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just gets better and better for me. :)
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie has nothing to prove. He's 66. He doesn't have to sell millions of albums. Take it for what it is.. a 66 year old artist creating something and sharing it with us. He didn't have to.

People on this forum are so ridiculously obsessive about sales figures it disappoints me. No one should need to be told what you've just said but apparently they do. I blame things like the X-Factor for this clinical obsession with sales as I'm sure people didn't give a shit before then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I The guy has completely lost his vocal ability.

Wow, do you think? While the song depressed the hell out of me, I thought David's vocals were haunting and lovely. Each to their own but I am really taken aback by this comment.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie's the only artist that I can think of that would get not only a mention of the front page of the Times but also a two page spread inside
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Bowie's the only artist that I can think of that would get not only a mention of the front page of the Times but also a two page spread inside

I was surprised too when it was featured in the scottish news last night on stv.
  • Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The single is growing on me.

I prefer Bowie when he's singing nice bouncy songs but even at his worst, Bowie is 10 times better than the rubbish that passes for pop music today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might even contemplate rejoining his website - I let my membership lapse a few years ago due to the lack of any news or info
  • rebelrebelrebelrebel Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I might even contemplate rejoining his website - I let my membership lapse a few years ago due to the lack of any news or info

Bowienet? Looks to have gone. His site has been revamped:
    www.davidbowie.com
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Apparently the woman sharing the puppet in the video is Bjork!!

apparently that's not the case after all. would be amaze if true though, imagine a bowie / bjork collab!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rebelrebel wrote: »
    Bowienet? Looks to have gone. His site has been revamped:
    www.davidbowie.com

Noticed that myself - I wonder what's going to happen to all the old members
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song's been in my head for the last day, which means it's achieved 'earworm' status. I like it.

Video isn't my cup of tea, but I like that Bowie is still doing weird experimental art stuff with videos rather than making a video that looks like everyone else's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The song's been in my head for the last day, which means it's achieved 'earworm' status. I like it.

Video isn't my cup of tea, but I like that Bowie is still doing weird experimental art stuff with videos rather than making a video that looks like everyone else's.

I've given it a few more listens today and it's grown on me too, though it's still extremely depressing.

I agree with your comments about the video. It's not my cup of tea either but it's always nice to see an artist doing what they want and not following the crowd, so respect to the man.