Rikomagic mk802 iii

BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Got one of these for Xmas along with an airmouse remote.

Its a dual core CPU with 8GB flash.

Seems to work OK, it fits really neatly flush with the back of my LG 47" and the power is provided by the TV USB port which is handily right next to the HDMI input used, so no unsightly leads.

The airmouse/keyboard is pretty rubbish though, i would not recommend it, many apps would not work with it as it didn't emulate a touchscreen properly.

Instead I downloaded the "Droidmote" app on my Android phone and it works perfectly, the phone touchscreen works as a mouse touchpad over the wifi.

Iplayer/ITV player all work although the resolution is nowhere near as good as the iplayer app on my LG smart bluray player.

In fact I have yet to find any version of iplayer on any device thats works as perfectly as the one on the LG bluray.

ITV player is pretty choppy, I think the Wifi chip on MK802 is not fast enough for real time video, even downloading apps seems a lot slower than I get downloading the same apps on my phone.

Still playing, I'll report back when I have tried more stuff.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Thinking about getting one. Please tell us more.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the mk2 version a few months ago - initially because I'd got good results attaching my phone to the tv via its mini hdmi. I'd thought having the same OS I would give same results, but it's not been as good as my phone. Won't recognise ch4 od, but I have been able to stream tv programmes off the net fairly successfully...I have one of the mini keyboard/mousepad gadgets, that's not brilliant either, very slow to respond. I'd not heard of droidmote - thanks for that, I'll be having a go with that later!

I think itvplayer is choppy in general, not nearly as good as iplayer on my tv.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot I promised to update this thread, so here's an update.

As I said above this is a MK3 version, it has a dual core processor, 8GB of flash and 1GB of RAM.

Had a lot of trouble on first use which put me off for a while but discovered that it was due to a poor Wifi connection. Turns out the aerial in these units is really poor so I moved the router from in the hall into the lounge. Its 8ft from the TV now but even so it still has only 2 bars on the Wifi meter. Seems to work perfect now, the unit is being powered from the USB port on my LG 47" 3DTV, luckily the other devices around the house don't seem to be affected by the new router position.

I got the MK802 with this keyboard

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Measy-RC12-Fly-Air-Mouse-Presenter-2-4GHz-QWERTY-Keyboard-for-Tablet-PC-Android-TV-Box/742338500.html

The keyboard is not good, the wireless is out of range if I sit on my settee 12 foot away, the buttons stick and there is no built in G sensors. Its just a standard general purpose keyboard.

Turns out the keyboard is unnecessary anyway if you have an Android phone, the free Droidmote App works perfectly it even uses the phone Gsensors.

http://liliputing.com/2012/06/droidmote-turns-android-phone-mk802-remote.html

So, after getting a decent setup, the next step was to set up the screen for 1080p, the settings are all there in the screen settings, its just not set to it as standard, presumably because some TV's cant work with that resolution and nothing would appear on their screens if was the default.

Downloaded "Temple run" just as a test game, worked OK with DriodMote, would not work with the keyboard. I think fast reaction games are out though, the reaction time from external controllers is too slow. The G sensors and swipe scroll controls on droidmote did work OK though.

So, the main reason I bought the device was to get access to catchup programs.

iplayer worked straight off as did ITV player. Spent a while trying to figure out how to get 4od before realising there is no 4OD app, you just watch in the browser like you do on a laptop.

You need to install the latest flash plugin from the Adobe website, the one on the App store does not work properly. Once installed 4OD worked perfectly, watched a few programmes on it already.

I have also installed an aquarium live wallpaper which is nice to have on if you don;t fancy watching TV.

That's about as far as I have gone for now, haven't investigated how to get channel 5 yet.

Point is, the device does exactly what it says on the tin. The only downer is the wifi aerial, I may take it apart at some point and see if I can design a better one.
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the mk802+ the least powerful of the lot,but use it for playing my downloaded films and my hd cam vids (all play perfectly with Mxplayer).Also use Movietube to stream films...All in all quite impressed for something that cost £29....
    I have no probs with my wifi signal.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boyzie wrote: »
    I have the mk802+ the least powerful of the lot,but use it for playing my downloaded films and my hd cam vids (all play perfectly with Mxplayer).Also use Movietube to stream films...All in all quite impressed for something that cost £29....
    I have no probs with my wifi signal.

What do you use to control it?

I also tried my logitek wireless mouse off my laptop and that worked fine too. There is a spare USB slot to plug in the dongle.

I also forgot to mention, it has ICS (Android 4.03) on it. I'm wondering if it can be upgraded to Jelly Bean.
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my wireless mouse at the mo,but the range aint good.I tried Droidmote server to try and control it with my Galaxy tab 2,it does connect but dont let me use the commands.Apparently the mk802 needs the input module in the Kernal,tho I did read that someone had used it straight out of the box with the mk802,so praps some have it.Think someone has to do a custom rom for Jellybean and praps would only slow it down.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1292627

http://www.videomap.it/droidmote-faq.html
    Faqs 25,26,33
    Will have a go later if I can work it out and its not too finicky.