Films with a unique style or format

13»

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    Open Your Eyes / Vanilla Sky. In and out of the lucid dream.

Mmm, I'd say they share too many similarities with Jacob's Ladder to be regarded as unique.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of foreign language films have a 'unique' narrative structure, one example being the Polish film Blind Chance.Krzysztof Kieślowski's film presents a character who runs for a train and there is three different scenario 's for the outcome in which he misses the train or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    A lot of foreign language films have a 'unique' narrative structure, one example being the Polish film Blind Chance.Krzysztof Kieślowski's film presents a character who runs for a train and there is three different scenario 's for the outcome in which he misses the train or not.

So as far as uniqueness goes I guess that puts Run Lola Run out of the...running.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pulp Fiction.

Star Wars in that they were Prequels made many years later than the originals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    So as far as uniqueness goes I guess that puts Run Lola Run out of the...running.

Run Lola Run as well as Blind Chance are both good films, if you get a chance to see the one I have mentioned, you will will be intrigued by the narrative structure and it forces you to think about how life is a game of chance.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The Princess Bride

It starts of in reality with the grandfather being the narrator. It then goes into the fairy tale but a few times breaks backout into reality with the grandfather and grandson talking.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit

There must have been earlier films that combined live action with animation. Did Mary Poppins do it?
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit

There must have been earlier films that combined live action with animation. Did Mary Poppins do it?

Mary Poppins had them jumping into a picture scene and dancing with Penguins and horses. There was also Song of the South.

Terry Gilliam films all have this sort of otherworldly fantasy feels that are unique to him.

The Company of Wolves is also quite an interesting movie. Following into the fairytail dreams of a girl coming into puberty.

And if you want really surreal then The City of Lost Children.

Identity is also another interesting style. I won't spoil it by saying why though.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Gene Kelly danced with Tom & Jerry in Anchors Aweigh [1945]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Mary Poppins had them jumping into a picture scene and dancing with Penguins and horses. There was also Song of the South.

Terry Gilliam films all have this sort of otherworldly fantasy feels that are unique to him.

The Company of Wolves is also quite an interesting movie. Following into the fairytail dreams of a girl coming into puberty.

And if you want really surreal then The City of Lost Children.

Identity is also another interesting style. I won't spoil it by saying why though.

I keep meaning to see that. It was directed by Jean Paul Jeanut who also directed 'Ameile' and 'Delicatessen' is that film any good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buried

(whole film in a coffin)
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I keep meaning to see that. It was directed by Jean Paul Jeanut who also directed 'Ameile' and 'Delicatessen' is that film any good?

It's very good but you probably do need a wide lens of understanding to enjoy it.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Tron. Which still looks pretty good today to me :)

Irreversable, complete backwards film which is a bit hurtful to the brain but makes sense only when you have watched the entire film.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit

I lost 5 points in a pub trivia contest for believing Song of the South (1946) was the first film to combine live action and animation.

The correct answer is Anchors Aweigh (1945), starring Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly. The animation comes in form of Jerry, the bloody mouse from the Tom and Jerry cartoon series. :cry:

The screaming pain of losing five points still echoes within me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Irreversible, complete backwards film which is a bit hurtful to the brain but makes sense only when you have watched the entire film.

That was just copying the Seinfeld backwards episode. :p
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was just copying the Seinfeld backwards episode. :p

Or Memento

What about the original Thomas Crown Affair - loved the way they used the split screens scenes during the film

http://youtu.be/ELgjuHTbT3o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    What about the original Thomas Crown Affair - loved the way they used the split screens scenes during the film

http://youtu.be/ELgjuHTbT3o

Same with Grand Prix and a Doris Day film (can't remember which). I enjoyed those split-screen scenes.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The Asphyx", a classy horror movie in which most of the action takes place in long shot so it's like watching a play.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I lost 5 points in a pub trivia contest for believing Song of the South (1946) was the first film to combine live action and animation.

The correct answer is Anchors Aweigh (1945), starring Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly. The animation comes in form of Jerry, the bloody mouse from the Tom and Jerry cartoon series. :cry:

The screaming pain of losing five points still echoes within me.

I'm not sure even this is correct. Live action and animation had been combined in silent movies, e.g. Gertie the Dinosaur.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    I'm not sure even this is correct. Live action and animation had been combined in silent movies, e.g. Gertie the Dinosaur.

Gertie is a short film, isn't it? The question was something like "What is the first feature-length film to feature live action and animation?"

Having said that, I Googled Gertie the Dinosaur after reading your post and discovered that Anchors Aweigh could be the wrong answer, anyway. The actual first feature film may be The Three Caballeros (1944).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Gertie is a short film, isn't it? The question was something like "What is the first feature-length film to feature live action and animation?"

No mention of feature-length in the question, just "films"...but you knew that ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No mention of feature-length in the question, just "films"...but you knew that ;)

What kind of a pub trivia contest would focus on short films? :confused: Come on, you knew that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Godfather Part II and Once Upon a Time In America would have been unique for their time because they both juxtaposed between different eras. In the case of The Godfather II it told two narratives simultaneously.