The Cafe

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
looking forward to the cafe..hope it it as good as the royal family, and early doors.. anyone know when it starts???

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't find any other threads on this but it starts (with a double bill) tomorrow on Sky One 9pm.

Will definitely be watching as it's set in my hometown of Weston-super-Mare :)

http://sky1.sky.com/sky1hd-shows/the-cafe
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope it's anywhere near as good as 'Early Doors'.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to this! I'm away for December, abroad - so I've just set to record the series. Something to look forward to when I get home after The Royle Family disappointment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably being picky but the accents are cringeworthy! Nothing like Weston accent!

Aside from that I'm enjoying it, slow starter though, looking forward to seeing the other characters.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,914
    Forum Member
    Missed most of the first episode, about to watch the second. Like it so far.

Anyone else watching?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Oh dear.
    Was looking forward to this but Im afraid its very poor so far.
    Listed as a comedy ? when does the comedy actualy kick in?
    Its a cross betrween a low budget Doc Martin and a very dated Last of summer wine.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Comedy seems to be full of new ideas.
    Gervais comes up with a fly on the wall type docu comedy
    Cash comes up with a subtle comedy with a bunch of characters who congregate in the same place day after day....
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crap it twas
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Missed most of the first episode, about to watch the second. Like it so far.

Anyone else watching?

Saw both episodes, and yes I like it
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listed as a comedy ? when does the comedy actualy kick in?
    It simply didn't.
    I watched the first episode, which was slow like waiting for the tomato sauce to come out of the bottle. When it never did I came to the conclusion (after a similar experience with the first ep. of Threesome) that Sky's comedy bottle is empty.

it wasn't a subtle comedy that I didn't "get". It wasn't sharply observed comedy, or a slow burner it was just dull and devoid of humour.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked it, but didn't find it really funny, just mildly amusing
  • The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The odd amusing one liner but it didnt really work for me as a comedy. Shame, I was looking forwards to it but I think they showed the best bits in the trailers
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Comedy seems to be full of new ideas.
    Gervais comes up with a fly on the wall type docu comedy
    Cash comes up with a subtle comedy with a bunch of characters who congregate in the same place day after day....

I believe Ralph was the brainchild of this one and he asked Craig to produce and direct.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was OK, not anything to shout about. May improve.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - not good.

Giggled a couple of times but no lol moments.

Will give episode two a try tomorrow but not holding out any hopes :(
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, I had such high hopes, the only good thing was the lovely Weston as a backdrop, laughed once, cant remember what at, I dont think I shall watch next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    It simply didn't.
    I watched the first episode, which was slow like waiting for the tomato sauce to come out of the bottle. When it never did I came to the conclusion (after a similar experience with the first ep. of Threesome) that Sky's comedy bottle is empty.
    Threesome doesn't have anything to do with Sky - Comedy Central original production. (It's also pretty funny, but that's by the by!)

Regardless of how much I like or dislike each individual programme, the fact that digital channels are taking a proper stab at commissioning new, scripted comedies - and commissioning them in their droves, what's more - can only be a good thing. Comedy Central have filmed their own TV show! That's superb. More and more opportunities for scriptwriters, more and more options for comedy fans... The Café doesn't look like my cup of tea, but the fact that Sky haven taken a chance on it makes me very, very excited.
  • Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think It has been written to be a laugh a minute comedy, maybe people who watched it were expecting a Royale Family or Early Doors type show.

I think it is a little slow but there was some funny lines and will be watching next week.
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Poorly written to formulae in order to make money, or to fulfil a contract! Absolute rubbish!
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    Threesome doesn't have anything to do with Sky - Comedy Central original production. (It's also pretty funny, but that's by the by!)
    Ooopsie, you're right. I stand corrected - except for thinking that 3some was completely unfunny - I stand by that and none of the content or any of it's trailers persuaded me otherwise.
    Regardless of how much I like or dislike each individual programme, the fact that digital channels are taking a proper stab at commissioning new, scripted comedies - and commissioning them in their droves, what's more - can only be a good thing. Comedy Central have filmed their own TV show! That's superb. More and more opportunities for scriptwriters, more and more options for comedy fans... The Café doesn't look like my cup of tea, but the fact that Sky haven taken a chance on it makes me very, very excited.
    Up to a point. But their efforts are so hopeless that I find it hard to conclude they're putting any effort into it. It's a bit like when a small child does a painting. Everyone goes into patronising mode and says "how lovely - what a good painting" when in fact it's just a few random daubs on a sheet to paper. That's all The Cafe was. There was no comedy in it and for people to go round and saying "but at least .... " means that Sky or CC will take that as the minimum standard that they can get away with and not aim any higher.
    In fact, The Guardian's review of the show was funnier than anything in the programme itself. So maybe it did make some (small) contribution to the net total of funnies - albeit unwittingly.

Sky can, and occasionally do (ref: Mad Dogs) produce some good, local content. So we know they can raise their game. That they either chose not to, or forgot how is not something that should be applauded. The Cafe was rubbish and a complete waste of half an hour and the commissioning people need to be told that, or they'll keep producing more dross like it.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Review from today's Independent is just about spot on.
    Ralf Little and Michelle Terry's new comedy for Sky, The Café, is one of those sitcoms that despises the belly laugh and the punchline.

In fact, you're unlikely to get a punchline at all unless one of the characters tells a knowingly corny joke, and in that case the whole point is that it isn't funny. It's a distinctively modern mode this, pioneered by programmes such as The Royle Family and Craig Cash's Early Doors, and, far from shying away from banality and tedium – as most other kinds of comedy do – it embraces it affectionately, as the common grain of daily life. From the opening lines of last night's episode – an inconsequential, lopsided conversation about a binman falling over (and then getting up again unharmed) – we knew where we were and, more importantly, what was expected of us. Not hilarity or the guffaw, but fond recognition and a wry smile. By the end of the episode, we knew a bit more: that almost every encounter would begin with "Arroight?" and end with "Laters"; that there would be an undertow of melancholy and disappointment beneath the surface placidity; that the dialogue would be stitched together from clichés, not because the writers can't think of anything better, but because that's mostly how people talk.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/last-nights-viewing-the-caf-sky1br-your-money-and-how-they-spend-it-bbc2-6267091.html
  • MissyQMissyQ Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Wasn't there a comedy set in a cafe in London with much of the same characters. Especially the guy who did the statue thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The odd amusing one liner but it didnt really work for me as a comedy. Shame, I was looking forwards to it but I think they showed the best bits in the trailers

They did that with Trollied as well
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bullman wrote: »
    They did that with Trollied as well

At least Trollied had some funny bits unlike this show..it was cringeworthy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    it was a nice time out, i think it will have legs,the characters are good and will grow...will watch again!