Smart tv or smart blu ray?

Hi, planning on buying a new 40-42 inch TV & wondering weather to go for a smart tv or standard tv & smart blu ray?
Having good sound is important as is catch up TV as thinking about doing away with sky.
Any advice on pro's & con's of either would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you require 'good sound' then factor in the cost of (at least) a soundbar.
    The audio on TVs now is pretty dire due to small speakers and ever-thinner cabinets
  • es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    My samsung TV has BBC iplayer, ITV player, 4OD, Demand 5 whereas my Samsung Bluray just has the BBC iplayer.

Both have Blink, Lovefilm and I have noticed that TV has access to apps not on the bluray and vice versa.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using the apps on either isn't a great experience compared to an Xbox or airplay with an iPad or using a Roku or lots of other ways.

I generally recommend "dumb" TVs and smart little boxes to sit under your TV.

You can get an Xbox for about £100.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your response everyone ....

As the TV will not be wall mounted, we're more thinking that for sound we'll have to go for a blu ray home theatre system... Seems like if we choose a smart blu ray that has what we need we shouldn't be loosing much by not having a smart tv?

Thanks for the advice!
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox requires you to pay an annual fee (I think about £40) and to be logged into Xbox Live.

Not too sure what apps currently work with the Roku. Last time I looked it was the BBC iplayer, Netflix & LoveFilm and a whole host of next to never used apps.

There was no 4oD, ITV Player or Demand 5. Maybe someone who owns a Roku could confirm or correct this.

The Samsung F6500 has BBC iplayer, 4oD, LoveFilm, Netflix & YouTube apps.

ITV Player & Demand 5 are coming later this year according to their website.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get a smart tv, they are the future.

lg are the best on the market in my opion at the minute
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As here is big discrepancy between Smart devices on the apps available, I suggest you make a list of the key ones you would like to have and then take it from there.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smart tvs are not the future, they are only a present option. For any model that does what you want now, you are totally reliant on a firmware update for anything in the future, aside from whether the hardware will support it.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YouView has all the catch-up services and a whole lot more besides.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your comments everyone!

What is "you view"?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah_Cran wrote: »

What is "you view"?

http://www.youview.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Sarah_Cran wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments everyone!

What is "you view"?

Depending on your Internet provider you could get a heavily discounted Youview box, rather than paying £200+ for a retail model.

On your original question I would say "dumb" TV and SMART external device. With the money saved on the TV you could get either a decent Soundbar or a basic surround system.
    I bought a Samsung BD-F6500 3D Bluray player online for £109 which has BBCiplayer, 4oD and as of a couple of days ago ITVplayer.
    Demand5 is also promised soon.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the tv concentrate on pic quality, number of hdmi sockets, reliability. Don't worry about smart features, they are limited, not very good and vary from make to make. If u want 3d make sure its a 3d set.

For blue ray, make sure its a 3d one if u want it. Don't worry about smart features for same reason as above.

To cover the smart part, connect a pc to the tv (using an hdmi cord). This is not limited in anyway and faster with some degree of upgrade potential compared with a smart tv. You can use a wireless keyboard with in built trackpad for remote control of the pc content.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get too fixated on the smart aspects: they're totally underwhelming.
    LG used to include a free smart Blu-ray with their smart tv so it might be worth checking to see if they still do.