Importing video from Sony DV

Hello everyone

Hope you can help me, I have a Sony mini DV camcorder, and I have been using Windows Movie Maker to put the video footage from the camcorder to my computer, I have contacted Sony about the quality reducing when recording it
to the computer and they said it is because windows movie maker reduces the resolution, so they said use a program that imports the footage in full resolution, so does anybody now any software that can do this, I would like it to be
free software, but if not then that is OK.

Thanks for your help

Many thanks
Charlie

Comments

• peeblypeebly Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone

Hope you can help me, I have a Sony mini DV camcorder, and I have been using Windows Movie Maker to put the video footage from the camcorder to my computer, I have contacted Sony about the quality reducing when recording it
    to the computer and they said it is because windows movie maker reduces the resolution, so they said use a program that imports the footage in full resolution, so does anybody now any software that can do this, I would like it to be
    free software, but if not then that is OK.

Thanks for your help

Many thanks
    Charlie

are you using USB or firewire.

i have a sony DV camera, firewire is loads better then USB for image quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pinnacle Studio - latest version is V10, and is only about £50.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm with robant on this one - pinnacle studio 10, for full quality use DV capture, if you want to eventually burn it to DVD then capture in mpeg mode.
  • tekmobiletekmobile Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows Movie Maker can still capture in DV format with no loss in quality (at least mine does) just dont capture using WMV format
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always capture via firewire as it is basically a file transfer from the camera to the PC. This will give perfect quality, but the file sizes are large (13Gb an hour) then edit this with Ulead, Pinnacle, Adobe, etc and save out as an MPEG2 file, ready to burn onto a DVD.
  • banbury_oddballbanbury_oddball Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have used Windows Movie Maker and all seems fine. Picture quality when converted to DVD seems reasonable, the only thing I find is that the sound is very digitalised and if noisy sounds pretty rank to be honest.

It seems to take forever to convert the video, and an eternity to convert the sound.

Is Pinnacle ok for sound ??? as this is my major problem with WMM
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I concur that if you have WMM set up correctly there is no quality loss as it just shifts the uncompressed AVI from DV tape to a big file on your PC.

What you then do with it will determine the quality of the finished product.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If using pinnacle and planning to output to dvd rather than back to dv tape one can capture in mpeg2 from the outset.
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote:
    If using pinnacle and planning to output to dvd rather than back to dv tape one can capture in mpeg2 from the outset.

Only if you don't intend editing anything. MPEG2 is a mastering format and not an intermediate/working format.