Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Thanks. Just watched rafella. :)

Loving her crazy whiplash dance that she does! Classic. :D
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick clarification for myself, and anyone else who needs or wants to know, but are we "officially" transferring over to this thread as of the now new year, or keeping with 1977 until the debut 1978 episode of TOTP later this month. I presume the latter is the case. The 1977 one must be close to being locked anyway by now, so the decision may be made for everyone.
  • darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Just a quick clarification for myself, and anyone else who needs or wants to know, but are we "officially" transferring over to this thread as of the now new year, or keeping with 1977 until the debut 1978 episode of TOTP later this month. I presume the latter is the case. The 1977 one must be close to being locked anyway by now, so the decision may be made for everyone.

I would have thought that there would be some discussion on "The Story of 1978" and "Big Hits 1978" on Friday evening, and that should certainly take place in here.
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Bit of a spoiler (but it wont ever be shown on TV again ;) ) But there is a savile hosted show from 27th April 1978 on the bbc motion gallery http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/gallery/clip/2B00DE104_xxx.do?keywords=top%2Cof%2Cthe%2Cpops worth it to see rafella carla singing do it again :D

This is a really good Saville episode. Shame we won't get to see it on BBC4. Foreigner Feels Like the First Time doesn't get repeated on any other episodes :(
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Thank god today's exposed Jim Davidson did not present Top of the Pops. :D
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Start of 1978 gives us the fab Love Is Like Oxygen, by the brilliant Sweet, if I recall rightly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god today's exposed Jim Davidson did not present Top of the Pops. :D

I was thinking just the same! :D

Anyway I think his reputation has already been sullied a bit in recent years anyway. The DLT answering bail will certainly be interesting and significant to us TOTP 1978 fans. My instinct is that he will have nothing to answer. What do others think?
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Start of 1978 gives us the fab Love Is Like Oxygen, by the brilliant Sweet, if I recall rightly.
    Not too long now,Its on the 16th feb 1978 episode (one of the best episodes of the year with kate bush making her totp debut :) )Thank heavens it's a kid jensen show :D As for the DLT charges,i doubt they will go any further with the case
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I was thinking just the same! :D

Anyway I think his reputation has already been sullied a bit in recent years anyway. The DLT answering bail will certainly be interesting and significant to us TOTP 1978 fans. My instinct is that he will have nothing to answer. What do others think?

I agree, DLT will have no case to answer.
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Not too long now,Its on the 16th feb 1978 episode (one of the best episodes of the year with kate bush making her totp debut :) )Thank heavens it's a kid jensen show :D As for the DLT charges,i doubt they will go any further with the case

BIB - this performance of 'Love Is Like Oxygen' by The Sweet is a repeat clip from 19 January 1978 (introduced by DLT) and 2 February 1978 (presented by Tony Blackburn) so if the DLT hosted shows are reinstated in time there will be at least three opportunities to see it (more if the late-night extended editions continue).
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the late nigth runs - are we going to have to hassle the Beeb again?
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1978 to '81 is, for me the greatest period in music ever! I have so many great musical memories of this era. I wish I could again see all the TOTP's from these years. Punk, disco, new wave, new romantics, electronic synth, mod revival, ska as well as well-established acts like Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Billy Joel and Abba making some of their best music. :-)
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Oh - here you are! I was still looking at the 1977 page! :(
    Forum Member
    spaceygal wrote: »
    1978 to '81 is, for me the greatest period in music ever! I have so many great musical memories of this era. :-)

Me too 77 - 83 covers just about all the best of chart music!:) - And I'm so glad Kate B got her CBE - her best period was around that time too! ;)

Roll on the 78 shows! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Oh - here you are! I was still looking at the 1977 page! :(

I think the general concensus seems to be that the official switch over will take place later tonight when The Story Of 1978 is being, or has been aired. I myself have just posted over on the 1977 thread. I imagine it will be closed by the moderators very soon now, having close to 5,000 posts. ;)
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for 1978 to officially kick off tonight!
  • Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I think we can safely assume that most if not all of the DLT editions of Top of the Pops will be shown this year; they were supposedly just suspended whilst police enquiries were taking place (even if they really didn't need to do this), therefore regardless of the outcome they should be back on air later this year.

The same also applies to Savile, but whether the BBC will pluck up the courage to show them remains to be seen, even if there's theoretically nothing to stop them doing so. (As a very dead presenter, he's no longer a danger to anyone and it's not a condonation of what he did elsewhere at the time.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if digiguide has been updated to show whether we definitely get the 2nd 1978 show,?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Merton wrote: »
    I think we can safely assume that most if not all of the DLT editions of Top of the Pops will be shown this year; they were supposedly just suspended whilst police enquiries were taking place (even if they really didn't need to do this), therefore regardless of the outcome they should be back on air later this year.

The same also applies to Savile, but whether the BBC will pluck up the courage to show them remains to be seen, even if there's theoretically nothing to stop them doing so. (As a very dead presenter, he's no longer a danger to anyone and it's not a condonation of what he did elsewhere at the time.)

I don't think the BBC will ever show Jimmy Saville, not for a few years at least till all this has died down and the investigation is finished, and even then I can't see them showing his editions, maybe xmas specials that he featured in. It's a shame because, despite what he did, I still miss seeing him present TOTP, he was a good presenter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zimbo78 wrote: »
    Anyone know if digiguide has been updated to show whether we definitely get the 2nd 1978 show,?

I keep looking but the listings only go up to friday the 18th January. It's strange because there's 2 weeks worth of listing that should be on there, maybe the time of year? I think there's a digiguide app you can get on your phone, and there's often listings on that that aren't on the website
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the 1978 launch tonight, shame they won't be showing a full episode for another two weeks.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to 1978. Hope they can keep showing weekly shows. the period 1978-1982 was one of the best for pop music ever (along wth either side of the next decade - 1988-1992).

Time to relive my youth in the heyday of new wave and electronica.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to 1978. Hope they can keep showing weekly shows. the period 1978-1982 was one of the best for pop music ever (along wth either side of the next decade - 1988-1992).

Time to relive my youth in the heyday of new wave and electronica.

Strange how tastes can be so different - 1978 and 79 are quite good (though far too much disco) but for me the nadir of pop music is 1980-2 with things only really picking up in 1984.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the BBC will ever show Jimmy Saville, not for a few years at least till all this has died down and the investigation is finished, and even then I can't see them showing his editions, maybe xmas specials that he featured in. It's a shame because, despite what he did, I still miss seeing him present TOTP, he was a good presenter.

It will be interesting to see if Big Hits 1978 will show some Saville show clips minus Saville tonight?
    Forum Member
    Strange how tastes can be so different - 1978 and 79 are quite good (though far too much disco) .

But even the disco was catchy and had decent tunes - not like some of the repetitive dance music that was out by the end of the 80s! :eek:
This discussion has been closed.