Serena Williams calls rape victim 'lucky'

lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
Forum Member
✭✭
We watch the news for a while, and the infamous Steubenville rape case flashes on the TV – two high school football players raped a drunk 16-year-old, while other students watched and texted details of the crime. Serena just shakes her head. "Do you think it was fair, what they got? They did something stupid, but I don't know. I'm not blaming the girl, but if you're a 16-year-old and you're drunk like that, your parents should teach you: Don't take drinks from other people. She's 16, why was she that drunk where she doesn't remember? It could have been much worse. She's lucky. Obviously, I don't know, maybe she wasn't a virgin, but she shouldn't have put herself in that position, unless they slipped her something, then that's different."

Full interview http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/serena-williams-the-great-one-20130618#ixzz2WcTE2gzE

Comments

• lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    High school football players Trent Mays and Ma'Lik Richmond were each sentenced to a year in juvenile jail in March for raping the intoxicated teen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2344226/Outrage-Serena-Williams-says-Steubenville-rape-victim-lucky-shouldnt-position.html#ixzz2WcYtPDIZ
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    What moronic comments. I don't think she realizes what's going to be coming her way.....
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The girl probably was stupid to get so drunk, but what the rapists did was not stupid, or not only stupid, but wicked. Serena isn't the first to think that a rape victim being foolish somehow excuses her rapist's actions, but she's as morally bankrupt as everyone else who thinks that way. I hope she's left in no doubt as to what decent people think of this.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this case. A female journalist from the area wrote a strong article condemning the girl's rape and received all kinds of abuse and threats, even from people she had known. She was shocked at how seemingly 'decent' people had excused the rapists' actions and expressed dismay at how it would affect their 'careers'. Serena Williams has just proved that she might be a tennis ace but that in itself doesn't preclude her from being monumentally dumb on other matters. She should stick to whacking balls over nets and modelling. Even if the girl wasn't a virgin; even if she was drunk of her own free will, what happened to her was terrible and she did nothing to 'deserve' it. If there would have been anyone decent in these 'fine young men' (or women, present at the occasion), they would have covered her up and made sure she got safely home.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder whether she's sympathetic to the perps because they are 'sportsmen'
    Doubt she would have the same views if they were 'gang members'
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite disturbing how college 'football' players are revered so much and, in some cases, seemingly above the law because it will "hurt their careers".

One of the tweets published in that piece was very true ..
    'Pro tip for @serenawilliams or others discussing rape: if "I'm not blaming the girl, but…" exits your mouth, stop there. There is no "but.'

I certainly don't disagree with the notion of advising young women to be sensible and safe in situations like parties e.t.c., but there are certainly better ways of doing it.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Williams is a disgrace.

What a nasty person.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgusting comments.. Blaming a rape victim for their rape...
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a repugnant moron. She should have dinner with Nick Ross & Joanna Lumley:yawn:
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I remember this case. A female journalist from the area wrote a strong article condemning the girl's rape and received all kinds of abuse and threats, even from people she had known. She was shocked at how seemingly 'decent' people had excused the rapists' actions and expressed dismay at how it would affect their 'careers'. Serena Williams has just proved that she might be a tennis ace but that in itself doesn't preclude her from being monumentally dumb on other matters. She should stick to whacking balls over nets and modelling. Even if the girl wasn't a virgin; even if she was drunk of her own free will, what happened to her was terrible and she did nothing to 'deserve' it. If there would have been anyone decent in these 'fine young men' (or women, present at the occasion), they would have covered her up and made sure she got safely home.

The coverage of that case was horrendous, the amount of sympathy being directed at the 'poor rapists', plus the attempts by their coach and others to cover it up. Williams' attitude is sadly very much in the same vein. The worse bit of that is her "I don't know, maybe she wasn't a virgin..." and "..unless they slipped her something..", as if either of those factors has some possible significance. What an ignorant and offensive mindset she has.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The entire case is disgusting, not least the way it has been covered in the US media. Made me sick to the stomach.

As for Serena Williams, words fail me. How a young woman can be that willfully ignorant towards rape in 2013 is shocking and horrendous.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Serena Williams is UGLY in face and UGLY in thoughts!

There is a pic of her in the Daily Mail. She looks like that Chick with a D Ick RuPaul
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do see what she means by the "she's lucky, it could have been worse" comment as it could have been worse. But to suggest that she was some how at fault because she was drunk is completely ridiculous. Don't take drinks from other people? Sorry that some people in the world don't expect every person to spike a drink because they want to rape you. And what has whether she was a virgin or not got to do with it?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    What moronic comments. I don't think she realizes what's going to be coming her way.....

She's sort of right. The lass should never have accepted drinks from people she didn't know. No excuse to be raped, but maybe she'll know better not to accept drinks from people she doesn't trust next time. You can't just go putting yourself in complete risky situations and expect to be completely safe. A lot of men are not gentlemen at all and quite a few will take advantage of a situation like that.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serena grew up in a very strictly religious, sheltered family..I doubt she drinks and she was playing tennis so never went out....So she could be ignorant about the life she could of had, if her father had not found a way to use her and Venus to make them rich.....Now come on Maria or Victoria...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I do see what she means by the "she's lucky, it could have been worse" comment as it could have been worse. But to suggest that she was some how at fault because she was drunk is completely ridiculous. Don't take drinks from other people? Sorry that some people in the world don't expect every person to spike a drink because they want to rape you. And what has whether she was a virgin or not got to do with it?

Exactly. I really do not think Serena has been thoughtless here. She simply just meant that something worse could have happened to her. It's like you have to say the absolute perfect thing in order not to be slated by anyone. De hell with that.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Exactly. I really do not think Serena has been thoughtless here. She simply just meant that something worse could have happened to her. It's like you have to say the absolute perfect thing in order not to be slated by anyone. De hell with that.

Thing is, saying "I'm not blaming the girl but .." is, like it or not, placing blame with the victim. I agree that she is clearly trying to offer some common sense advice, but, in my opinion, the default response in this type of case, when referring to the victim, should be that she is completely blameless - no matter what.

She could have said "Let's get one thing straight, the girl is not to blame here. Young women do need to be careful in these situations though". Something like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why did she have to mention if the girl was a virgin or not..what does that have to do with anything
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, saying "I'm not blaming the girl but .." is, like it or not, placing blame with the victim. I agree that she is clearly trying to offer some common sense advice, but, in my opinion, the default response in this type of case, when referring to the victim, should be that she is completely blameless - no matter what.

She could have said "Let's get one thing straight, the girl is not to blame here. Young women do need to be careful in these situations though". Something like that.

Sometimes people forget to say things that should be said first though. If she is saying that the lass can't expect anything else, fair enough. If I was a lass, I'd try and avoid risky situations altogether. Accepting drinks from strangers that hasn't come from a bar is very risky indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did she have to mention if the girl was a virgin or not..what does that have to do with anything

Yeah, that bit puzzled me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, that bit puzzled me.

What puzzles me mostly..is why is she commenting about this case at all? The poor girl is being made to look at fault.. If those lads were decent they wouldn't of taken advantage of a very obviously drunken girl and made sure she was taken home or got help for her
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The worst bit is the 'virgin' query, the implication being that were she not a virgin, then it wouldn't have been so bad and/or were she not a virgin at 16, then she must have a 'loose' character... as in, well, these things happen to women with 'loose' characters. Judgement written all over it.

Seriously, this woman should be ashamed of herself for even thinking like this, let alone think it's a reasonable opinion to make public.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    The worst bit is the 'virgin' query, the implication being that were she not a virgin, then it wouldn't have been so bad and/or were she not a virgin at 16, then she must have a 'loose' character... as in, well, these things happen to women with 'loose' characters. Judgement written all over it.

Seriously, this woman should be ashamed of herself for even thinking like this, let alone think it's a reasonable opinion to make public.

Her comments are very old fashioned .. Like she can't believe nice boys do something wrong and this "jezzabelle" must of done something to cause it
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serena spoke the truth. The girl was "lucky" in the sense it could have been much worse. She could have been killed.
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

The truth is the girl put herself in a vulnerable position by being so drunk that these criminals took advantage of her. Of course, they may have done the same had she not been drunk but Serena's comments should be viewed in context. Having said all that, I'm not quite sure why being a virgin had anything to do with anything.