Manipulative production to sir bruce Forsyth.

Comments

• *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    The BBC doesn’t need me to tell them Brucie is a good host as it’s fact as far as SCD is concerned. The BBC recommission the show each year and offer or retract the contracts. I’m also a license holder and in agreement with the BBC. Those who want to grumble do it incessantly intertwining opinions with non fact and optimising them as truths. I’ve never denied it.
    Stating something as 'fact' doesn't make it a fact and does nothing to strengthen your argument.

He's a good host as far as you and his supporters are concerned but to many others he's not. I'll concede he was good for the show when it first started - indeed I've said many times that I've liked him in the past and he's one of the reasons why I first tuned in - up to the last few series I didn't have many issues with him as host, but all I see now, particularly in the last series is a man who much of the time is floundering at his job.

By the way - I can't speak for anyone else but I've not stated my opinions as fact - they're just my opinions ;)
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    Stating something as 'fact' doesn't make it a fact and does nothing to strengthen your argument.

He's a good host as far as you and his supporters are concerned but to many others he's not. I'll concede he was good for the show when it first started - indeed I've said many times that I've liked him in the past and he's one of the reasons why I first tuned in - up to the last few series I didn't have many issues with him as host, but all I see now, particularly in the last series is a man who much of the time is floundering at his job.

By the way - I can't speak for anyone else but I've not stated my opinions as fact - they're just my opinions ;)

What are you trying to suggest. SCD are lying or Brucie is holding the BBC to ransom?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you trying to suggest. SCD are lying or Brucie is holding the BBC to ransom?

It's just a difference of opinion - nothing as melodramatic as you want to interpret.

As I said before I don't think he's a good host anymore.

Over the past few years his work load has been reduced which to me speaks volumes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    It's just a difference of opinion - nothing as melodramatic as you want to interpret.

As I said before I don't think he's a good host anymore.

Over the past few years his work load has been reduced which to me speaks volumes.

I don’t need Brucie to be anything other than what he is as his ability to entertain me hasn’t diminished. Probably it’s best to leave it at that.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brucie’s said himself he’s not getting any younger but just like everyone else he doesn’t know when he’ll take the final bow. I’ve never anticipated working until I‘m Brucie age but that‘s what he wants to do and I’ll very happily watch him hosting the show until he retires. Whoever takes over will have enormous dancing shoes to fill but with him gone I’d still watch SCD if the show doesn’t go into retirement with him.

As well as a great dancer throughout his career I was unaware until recently that Sir Bruce is also an accomplished pianist.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    The BBC doesn’t need me to tell them Brucie is a good host as it’s fact as far as SCD is concerned.
    No it isn't a FACT. It's your, and many others, opinion that he is, just as it is mine an many others opinion that he isn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t need Brucie to be anything other than what he is as his ability to entertain me hasn’t diminished. Probably it’s best to leave it at that.

I want a host to be a fully competent host and to me Brucie is not that anymore.

So probably best to agree to disagree.
    Forum Member
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    As well as a great dancer throughout his career I was unaware until recently that Sir Bruce is also an accomplished pianist.
    How many more times - he isn't a DANCER; he's a HOOFER who can also do the Salsa. Nothing wrong with that. In his day he was a very good HOOFER, even if he did wrongly think he was better at it than Sammy Davis Jnr.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    How many more times - he isn't a DANCER; he's a HOOFER who can also do the Salsa. Nothing wrong with that. In his day he was a very good HOOFER, even if he did wrongly think he was better at it than Sammy Davis Jnr.

I'm not over familiar with street slang, but Sir Bruce has without doubt been a great dancer away from his Strictly Come Dancing presenting role throughout his career, you can be forgiven for not being aware of the full range of his many talents on stage, as I mentioned I have only just recently become aware that Sir Bruce is an accomplished pianist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't a FACT. It's your, and many others, opinion that he is, just as it is mine an many others opinion that he isn't.

The fact is you're not doing the hiring and neither are you doing the firing. :D
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not over familiar with street slang, but Sir Bruce has without doubt been a great dancer away from his Strictly Come Dancing presenting role throughout his career, you can be forgiven for not being aware of the full range of his many talents on stage, as I mentioned I have only just recently become aware that Sir Bruce is an accomplished pianist.

Take the rose tinted glasses off Terry and get real.

He's a "hack" pianist, no better and a lot worse than many amateurs. "Accomplished," he ain't.
    He plays "There will never be another you" quite often as a party piece, but not particularly well.
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Think the trouble is the management and what they expect from him, the management obviously get themselves into a regime of wanting brucie to be entertaining - but he oversteps the mark at times, so therefore it generates disgust on here, FB and twitter. BBC really do have a hard business hat on and they are entrepreneurs just like brucie himself. :mad:

It is contempt to the paying customers who watch that he is still there to be honest and that they have allocated another season for him. The fools at SCD are just keeping him in so they can maximize revenue and get their quarterly figures up between October - December. :mad:

What BBC really need to do is cost cut so that way brucie can be pensioned off, that way we can have a presenter who genuinely enjoys their job, does it well and doesn't do it for thick wads of cash like brucie obviously has done. :mad:
    Forum Member
    Hoofing isn't street slang Terry. Look it up. It's a style of tap dancing where the feet stay fairly close to the ground without flamboyant swings and kicks, and the arms do little except balance the person. As I said Sammy Davis Jnr was an excellent hoofer, but, as a fan of Bruce, I expect you saw him outshine Bruce when they hoofed together.

I know he can play the piano - so can I. So obviously I'm talented too but I don't brag about it or have a silly "look at me" face when I play. Nor do I expect a round of applause when I've finished a piece. You're obviously not aware of my full range of talents.

Another mention on a repeat on HIGNFY on Dave last night. When talking about what you'd find in a morgue, Ian's comment was Bruce Forsyth. Like me, Ian really doesn't like him.

Oh, and what was his one man show like Terry? You said you'd be going.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect Ian would have made the same joke, but swapping in the name of Nicholas Parsons, if he'd have been on the News Quiz and HIGNFY had gone off air for ever instead of sacking Angus Deayton.
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    I suspect Ian would have made the same joke, but swapping in the name of Nicholas Parsons, if he'd have been on the News Quiz and HIGNFY had gone off air for ever instead of sacking Angus Deayton.
    Just shows that any show is bigger than the host.
  • pabirdpabird Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by TerryM22

Sorry Terry but Bruce was an OK tap (only) dancer but no special dance skills
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he reached his peak as the "dummy" in the BBC radio show "Educating Archie" in the fifties.
  • Miss_EdithMiss_Edith Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I almost cried yesterday when, at my tutoring session, the phrase "it's nice to see you" came up (mostly because I had to explain the significance and was then subjected to my student repeating the stupid catchphrase on a loop...the fewer reminders of BF the better).
    Originally posted by Janet 43
    Just shows that any show is bigger than the host.
    In a nutshell!

Terry, how did you like the one-man-show?
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another mention on a repeat on HIGNFY on Dave last night. When talking about what you'd find in a morgue, Ian's comment was Bruce Forsyth. Like me, Ian really doesn't like him.

It may be that ian doesn't actually dislike Bruce as a person so much as just (like so many of us) he's just fed up with seeing him on tv now that he proves, over and over on SCD (if nothing else) that he is long past his sell by. Unfortunately, like too many over-the-hill entertainers & singers (Paul McCartney is but one) he just doesn't understand the meaning of retiring gracefully.
    Forum Member
    Miss_Edith wrote: »

Terry, how did you like the one-man-show?
    You won't get an answer to that. I suspect he didn't go in spite of saying he would.

I looked at some of the reviews, which were glowing. But then you wouldn't spend even one pound on tickets to see someone if you weren't a fan so obviously those who actually went thought it was wonderful. That's why I'll kept my pound in my purse until I find something worthwhile and pleasurable to spend it on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I really don't get the level of hostility towards Bruce. Yes he has his faults, flubbing the autocue being a big one, contributing to the script another, but hearing some opinions you'd think they wanted him sent to a care home and bottle fed. He's arguably not even the worst of the two presenters!

He's not as slick as Ant & Dec, not as cool as Reggie Yates & Holly Willoughbooby. But he's not really trying to be. He presents the family show for the grandmas, grandkids and everyone in between. He is a very popular man who is probably the BBC's best-known Saturday night host ever, fronting their most popular Saturday night vehicle. He will never, ever be thrown from the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get the level of hostility towards Bruce. Yes he has his faults, flubbing the autocue being a big one, contributing to the script another, but hearing some opinions you'd think they wanted him sent to a care home and bottle fed. He's arguably not even the worst of the two presenters!

He's not as slick as Ant & Dec, not as cool as Reggie Yates & Holly Willoughbooby. But he's not really trying to be. He presents the family show for the grandmas, grandkids and everyone in between. He is a very popular man who is probably the BBC's best-known Saturday night host ever, fronting their most popular Saturday night vehicle. He will never, ever be thrown from the show.

Many of us on here think SCD is successful in spite of Bruce rather than because of him, as some would have you believe.
    He tries to make it all about him. It was clearly evident that it managed quite well without him for a week, with just Tess and Claudia, in fact the ratings increased.
    If he were less constantly, "in your face" there would be fewer complaints and because he is always so, his frequent mistakes and poor etiquette, like talking over the judges when they are "doing their act" (lets not take things too seriously), he becomes more noticeably irritating.

Time for him to go, as quietly as possible.
    Forum Member

It's no difference to some people's hostility to some sports programmes. I don't understand why people complain about F1 being shown live on a Sunday evening, but there were many vehement complaints about it.

We know that complaints don't have any effect, but forums like this are for expressing your own opinion on any subject. No-one is right and no-one is wrong.

What does strike me is that the more complaints there now seem to be about Mr Forsyth, the more he seems to be appearing everywhere. If it's an attempt to persuade us how great he is, the more pathetic I think he is needing to be in the limelight and the more I dislike him. And while I'm saddened to see the likes of both of the the knowledgeable and modest Mick Aston and David Barby pass away, I won't feel the same when Mr Forsyth's time comes.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's no difference to some people's hostility to some sports programmes. I don't understand why people complain about F1 being shown live on a Sunday evening, but there were many vehement complaints about it.

We know that complaints don't have any effect, but forums like this are for expressing your own opinion on any subject. No-one is right and no-one is wrong.

What does strike me is that the more complaints there now seem to be about Mr Forsyth, the more he seems to be appearing everywhere. If it's an attempt to persuade us how great he is, the more pathetic I think he is needing to be in the limelight and the more I dislike him. And while I'm saddened to see the likes of both of the the knowledgeable and modest Mick Aston and David Barby pass away, I won't feel the same when Mr Forsyth's time comes.

BIB Isn't it bizarre :confused::confused:That's also what I noticed recently :confused:.That's the reason why I stopped complaining hoping that maybe then maybe he will finally retire :o:D:D.
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    This mark linsey fella is to me a bit like Richard Desmond on channel 5, both guys have zero time for ethics - hence picking the presenters what they like when they like. :(