The Hobbit....so Excited

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I saw it at the weekend and enjoyed it alot.
    I'm looking forward to owning it on Blu Ray, but am wondering if a release day purchase is a good idea or is there going to be an extended edition?
    An extended edition with 25 or so minutes of extra footage was confirmed by Peter Jackson recently. It's expected to be released in Autumn.

Part of me really wants to get this when it comes out as I loved the extended editions of LOTR, but another part of me wants to wait until all 3 parts are in a box-set. But that would mean waiting until end of 2014 / early 2015. :eek::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Nothing to do with the films, but I thought I'd share these rather lovely photos of John (Beren) and Edith (Luthien) with all the Tolkien fans who keep an eye on this thread.

http://www.topfoto.co.uk/gallery/jrrtolkien/index.html

As for AUJ, the Blu-ray cover has been confirmed and a preliminary release date as well.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10372
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with the films, but I thought I'd share these rather lovely photos of John (Beren) and Edith (Luthien) with all the Tolkien fans who keep an eye on this thread.

As for AUJ, the Blu-ray cover has been confirmed and a preliminary release date as well.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10372

Aww what lovely photographs of the lovely couple. Their home looked as cosy and as snug as a hobbit-hole. :)

I'm on a Tolkien readathon at the moment. I've just read LotR, and am now reading his excellent 'Letters of JRRT' along with his 'Tree and Leaf'. :)

Back on topic: I got to see the Hobbit film at last, but haven't posted before now, as I'm still having mixed feelings about it tbh. Some parts I enjoyed very much and others not so much. I'll try to get a review up sometime soon.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for posting that, Edmond. They are indeed lovely photos. :)
    Forum Member
    There and Back Again moved to Dec 17 2014 release

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/01/uk-hobbit-idUKBRE92004O20130301

Certainly makes sense. It is tradition after all for Middle-earth films to be released in the run-up to Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    There and Back Again moved to Dec 17 2014 release

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/01/uk-hobbit-idUKBRE92004O20130301

Certainly makes sense. It is tradition after all for Middle-earth films to be released in the run-up to Christmas.

I'm glad about this, seeing one of these films in the middle of the summer would just feel weirdly wrong to me after all of the other LOTR and Hobbit films were released at Christmas. In a roundabout way, they're Christmas films to me.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I'm glad about this, seeing one of these films in the middle of the summer would just feel weirdly wrong to me after all of the other LOTR and Hobbit films were released at Christmas. In a roundabout way, they're Christmas films to me.

Ditto. I relate LOTR to Christmas aswell, it just wouldn't feel right if the last one was released in the middle of summer.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Storywise, I found The Hobbit a bit too similar to the Fellowship of the Ring.

However I did thoroughly enjoy it and the time just flew by.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched this and after enjoying LOTR trilogy i was hoping this would be just as good but it falls short for me. The film seems really padded out (what's the extended edition going to be like??) and could have been at least 30mins shorter. But the biggest gripe for me was the silly moments like 13 dwarfs and Gandalf falling 100's of feet down a cavern on a bridge and landing safely at the bottom, or that bit with the mountain rock creatures fighting and they all manage to cling on, or the fight with all the goblins. I realise its a fantasy film but something didnt sit well with me, felt abit like that bit in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on the traintrack where they jump over a gap in the track and land perfectly on the other side. Cringy moments of unbelievablity and the LOTR didnt have many of those moments and you actually felt the characters were in danger - in the hobbit I didnt feel any moments where they were in danger and some magic of CGI would see they through. Also, i didnt really feel anything for the characters, don't know if its because they were dwarfs and I just couldnt relate or if the casting was wrong. Bilbo was better than expected, Gandalf is Gandalf but it was just missing emotion for me. There was a good moment with Gollum in the cave which i think saved the film but nothing much else was that great. Run of the mill Peter Jackson action sequences with lots of shots of New Zealand to make it feel epic.

Other than that, i enjoyed the film but its a pale imitation of the 3 LOTR's fims, heres hoping the second part is better but i give it a 7/10
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a footnote to all these opinions, The Hobbit became only the 15th film to take a billion dollars at the weekend.

So its done pretty well I reckon.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Just a footnote to all these opinions, The Hobbit became only the 15th film to take a billion dollars at the weekend.

Yeah, I think some people were expecting it to make upwards of $1.5 billion, and then called it a flop when it didn't :yawn:

Or they were expecting it to reach $1 billion in the space of 5 minutes.

Does anyone know when the first trailer is out for the next one?

Only about 9 months to go :D
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Yeah, I think some people were expecting it to make upwards of $1.5 billion, and then called it a flop when it didn't :yawn:

I know different people interpret the term flop differently, but there was no way, at any stage, this film was a flop.

You are prob right about some peoples expectations, fools.

I'm delighted The Hobbit hit the billion.

But I don't think we'll see a trailer until mid summer, if not after the summer. They might release it to show before some of the late summers major releases.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the later release of the 3rd movie
    But a 3rd movie, or even a 2nd, feels a bit wrong for this film. I guess I am all caught up with the nostalgia vibe of LotR movies really....!!
    Will wait for the EE of all releases. Not double dip with the primary releases, especially the first steel book, matter how much it looks nice. It all feels a bit wrong to be fair....:(
    Forum Member
    PinSarla wrote: »

The trailer is expected in May. In the meantime there's the sneak preview presented by Peter Jackson on 24 March to coincide with the US release of the Blu-ray/DVD to look forward to.

http://www.thehobbit.com/sneak/
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »

50% 3D in US, 60% worldwide.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailer is expected in May. In the meantime there's the sneak preview presented by Peter Jackson on 24 March to coincide with the US release of the Blu-ray/DVD to look forward to.

http://www.thehobbit.com/sneak/

i wont be buying the Blu-Ray so wont get the sneak peak,the way i see it,its pretty pointless buying the Blu-Ray just to rebuy it again in its extended form at the end of the year(saying that i said that about the DVDs and Blu-Ray's of LOTR and got suckered into buying them anyway:D )
    Forum Member
    i wont be buying the Blu-Ray so wont get the sneak peak,the way i see it,its pretty pointless buying the Blu-Ray just to rebuy it again in its extended form at the end of the year(saying that i said that about the DVDs and Blu-Ray's of LOTR and got suckered into buying them anyway:D )
    I'm sure the sneak peak will be uploaded on to Youtube sooner or later.
  • NefratiNefrati Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was just bad, like the lord of the rings films before, filled with bad story telling...things like deus ex machina do not impress, they are only jarring to the viewer, when the stories rules are arbitrary, you can't invest.

I think people need to understand whats going on, Peter Jackson is like if George Lucas were the only game in town in hollywood, in New Zealand, Peter Jackson IS hollywood, he owns the Weta fx company behind all the CG. He has friends and family all making their living from his productions, he is a New Zealand jobs program, he has all sorts of conflicts of interest from keeping people in jobs to keeping his fx companies pipelines full that keep him from really prioritizing his films storys as #1 anymore.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Nefrati wrote: »
    It was just bad, like the lord of the rings films before, filled with bad story telling...things like deus ex machina do not impress, they are only jarring to the viewer, when the stories rules are arbitrary, you can't invest.
    If you thought The Lord Of The Rings trilogy was bad then why even bother with the Hobbit?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know when the trailer for The Desolation of Smaug comes out?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much would an 'extended edition' be extended? It already felt extended. More like it was a well written fan tribute to Tolkien than actual Tolkien. The thing about LotR was that the film was so much smaller than the book so the extended version was amazing. With The Hobbit, the book is so much smaller than than the film!
    Forum Member
    OodSigma wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the trailer for The Desolation of Smaug comes out?
    The full trailer is expected in May. The sneak peek on Sunday will most likely feature some footage too.
    Voynich wrote: »
    How much would an 'extended edition' be extended? It already felt extended. More like it was a well written fan tribute to Tolkien than actual Tolkien. The thing about LotR was that the film was so much smaller than the book so the extended version was amazing. With The Hobbit, the book is so much smaller than than the film!
    Peter had confirmed that the extended cut will be 25minutes longer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    The full trailer is expected in May. The sneak peek on Sunday will most likely feature some footage too.

I watched the "Sneak peek" last night.
    A bit like previous video blog's. The only actual footage of the 2nd film was a couple of minutes of Gandalf entering the cavern containing the tombs of the 9 Kings of men.
    Radagast the Brown appears whilst Gandalf is in one of the tombs and they discuss how dark/evil the place is.
    There's some behind the scenes footage of the Master of Laketown played by Stephen Fry & Bard the Bowman ( Luke Evans ) ,Thranduil ( Legolas's Father ) , Legolas and new character Elf "Bodyguard" Tauriel played by Evangeline Lilly. :cool:
    A lot of the webfeed was Peter Jackson & Jed Brophy ( Nori ) in the editing suite with Peter answering questions from youtube video and twitter posts.
    I was really hoping for a sneek peek of Smaug but Peter wasn't having any of it. He played along allowing "possible" Smaug's on several computers to be seen. All being daft mock ups.
    I suspect the full feed will have been recorded and be on youtube or thehobbit website soon.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    So I finally have got to see this.

Some of my fears were pretty well founded, it's full of bloated over CGI'd action sequences, Jackson seriously needs somebody to reign him in!

Azog looked seriously rubbish and had zero screen presence, his character is completely unnecessary and having him full on CGI just makes it even worse, he just looks fake. With the trolls, stone giants, goblins and wargs there was plenty of action to be had anyway, just another case of Jackson trying to add tension to the movie by shoving in completely unneeded additions, see the warg attack from The Two towers.

The wargs look rubbish once again. The Goblin sequence is a poorer version of the mines of Moria with none of the tension. I did like the Goblin king though.

But right with all that being said I did like it, it was awesome being back in Middle Earth, I'm hoping the extended edition is extended with character stuff, I think that would help a lot.

There is soo much that is good about the film that I'm willing to over look the bits I'm not keen on, if the whole Azog subplot was removed and the balance between CGI and real shifted a little towards the real side I would rank it along side the LOTRs movies.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I think this should have been 1 movie not 3. Just been reading the book again and its quite clearly not an epic story, and it just doesn't work for me as a 9 hour trilogy. The book is more a childrens novella than an epic novel and the film has way too much padding and unnecessary bits that slow the movie down to snails pace for me.