Apollo 18

spolierspolier Posts: 410
Forum Member
Anyone seen this or is going to see it? I'm seeing it Friday but not heard much about it.

Comments

• welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to see it on Sunday
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going next week.

I've been looking forward to seeing it since earlier this year when I saw a poster advertising it in the cinema.

I must admit that I've not heard much about it either.

It's not even reviewed in the Friday film sections of 4 different newspapers I've read to day either, even though Fright Night (which is also out today) has been extensively reviewed.:confused:
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gets a "good" review here:

http://www.themovieboy.com/reviews/a/11_apollo18.htm

I always go by this sites reviews, very detailed and never arse-kissing like Empire's etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just got back from seeing it, and unfortunately it is not that good. Die hard fans of Paranormal Activity might get a little kick from it, but apart from that avoid.

The main problem with the film is that it is boring. I know that is a pretty lame description, but that's the only way I can put it. 90% of the movie focuses on two astronauts, but their characters are so bland that it is difficult to tell them apart. The scares are not very good either. Most of them come from very cheap "BOO!" moments. They could have done something really creative with it being set on the moon, but they just use methods that have been done a million times before. You don't even get a sense of claustraphobia (two men stuck inside a tiny landing module for goodness sake!)

There are some good points. The damaged found footage look adds a little to the atmosphere, the moon setting is for the most part convincing and you get some lovely shots of the moon.

4 out of 10 for me. And I think I am being generous.
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to see it today, judging by your reviews though i'm not that excited
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just returned from seeing this. Absolutely dire movie. Whilst I can stomach other 'found footage' movies, the NASA-style video effect here was really irritating and nearly unwatchable. Constant shakes, transmission blackouts, fuzzy video etc, got real annoying. Very uncomfortable for the duration of the film.

Visual style aside, the film was just plain boring and not once did I experience even the siightest bit of tension or horror. Seriously, nothing happened for ages and my interest was lost. Was this actually supposed to be a horror? The cast are largely unknowns and were okay. But heaven knows how this managed to avoid going straight-to-DVD.

See only if you're at a loose end and have an Unlimited Card. Better still, dig out your copy of Apollo 13 and watch that instead. 2/10 - for the effort only.
  • spolierspolier Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I too found it terrible. As a pervious poster said Paranormal Activity fans will get a kick from it. I found it dull and wish I'd seen something else.
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it today and I didn't think it was that bad. I felt really bad for the atronauts at the end. It really made me jump out of my seat a couple of times. I agree that the the astronauts didn't have that much chemistry though.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    pants the best one of these type of movies IMO was cloverfield at least you could see what the heck was going on without showing everything of the damm monster

this was crap
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite enjoyed this movie,makes u wonder though...
    who found the footage?
  • frailfuryfrailfury Posts: 7,222
    Forum Member
    Saw it tonight. Pretty good, but yet again with this 'found camera footage' movies, the ending sucked.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say that I went to see this today with much trepidation following a large number of poor reviews, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

I didn't think it was a bad as many people have said it was.

I thought it looked quite authentic & almost believable.

I like the that the audience is left without the full picture of what really happened.

It's not a classic by any stretch, but it certainly isn't as bad as many folk have portrayed it IMHO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was absolutely guff, don't want to spoil it for the poor buggers that might go and see it but the "monsters" were totally ridiculous and disappointing after the tension that the trailer promised.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me this is not just the worst movie of 2011 but the worst movie I have ever seen at the cinema, to say that it is boring is an understatement, and there is absolutely nothing scary about it, a 5 year old would struggle to find this scary. Please can someone explain to me how this movie got rated 15, there is no strong language and no violence, it was more like a PG to be honest. Thank god I went to see this on a tueday when the tickets are half price, i would of been mightily cheesed off if I had paid full price to see this terrible movie. Also, 86 minutes is too short for a movie, in fact the trailers and end credits are about 10 minutes long so your only getting like 76 minutes of movie, when they expect you to pay over £10 for a ticket, its just not value for money at all..............
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to cinema this afternoon to watch this - Terrible boring film.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    What a shame - on paper it sounded like a good concept.

As it is, don't think I'll bother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking forward to watching this, don't think I'll bother now.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can't be worse than The Blair Witch Project? That's my worst ever movie that I was pissed I paid money to see.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ^^ For some reason I hated Cloverfield much more than I did The Blair Witch project.

Probably because I expected much more from the former, but it was absolutely dire.
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 5,977
    Forum Member
    It's not done too bad I think, the jumpy parts are jumpy. They have done them well enough to sneak them up on you. There is some tame backstory, but it is only on for 90 minutes so it is about right for the story that thay have told here, I would still on the whole recommend to someone to try it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rhodes666 wrote: »
    Quite enjoyed this movie,makes u wonder though...
    who found the footage?

I wondered that! Actually I was wondering:
    how the footage survived considering the two lunar pods or whatever they're called crashed at the end and the other recordings were left on the moon. Massive plot hole.... or should that be plot crater?
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awful
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went tonight without any prior knowledge of the film expecting at the least to get some sumptuous space effects.Took me 25 minutes to get used to the seventies home movie style but after this the thing the film reminded me of was an episode of modern Outer Limits series-the only difference being the capsule inhabitants were coming back from Mars.
    Wouldnt describe the film as a dead loss, some moments did make me jump and part of me wishes the storyline was true as things would be alot more intriguing if it was.
    About twelve in the audience(the air conditioning was trying to create atmosphere as it was bl**dy cold) so it doesnt look like this is going to be Blair Witch in space.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it today. Hugely disappointing considering the trailer and the overall concept. Really didn't do anything for me - completely suspense and horror-free and just a real let down.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I was going to go and watch it this week but I'm glad I came here and saw your comments first. You have saved me £6 :)