argan oil

chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
Forum Member
Hi
does anyone have any advice/recommendations about argan oil.
Id never heard of it until about a week ago but I keep seeing it all over, I even saw a product in the Avon catalogue.
Does anyone use it, will it make my hair shiny ?
Thanks

Comments

• nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all I use on my hair now. Brilliant. (The brown 12.99 bottle in Boots. ) Cuts drying time of my very thick hair, has rocketed growth and gives a lovely sheen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oo I've often wondered whether it really as wonderful as the brands say it is.
    What is the best way to use it? Is it like using olive oil on hair application wise, ie coat hair in it before washing then shampoo/condition? I think I will order some now.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I'm in two camps about argan oil, I use both the pure oil and the commercial brands but I have a specific purpose for their use. People rave a lot about Moroccanoil, and all of the other brands who have jumped on the argan oil bandwagon. A lot of talk is about how well it smooths and tames the hair, well yeah that's probably because these products are chock full of silicone and synthetics. I use Moroccan oil but I don't use it necessarily because I think it will do magical and nurturing things for my hair; I use it as a styling product, and it works well for that purpose. I'm not kidding myself that it's the argan in the product that gives my hair the glossy smooth sheen, it more than likely is the silicone.

If I want to use argan that will do a great job in conditioning and treating my hair I will use 100% pure argan. It won't smell as nice as the commercial brands but at least I'm getting the real deal. Alternatively use an oil blend with a mixture of good oils. I am currently using one with the following mix, Argan (and the argan is the first ingredient) camellia seed, sweet almond, jojoba, meadowfoam seed, wheatgerm, coconut and vitamin E oils, it has no pretty smell but it a very good oil. Another decent brand is Dr Organics Argan oil hair treatment, it's about £12 at Holland & Barrett and again the ingredients are awesome.

It's so important to know what you're buying and not fall too much for all the hype. There are lots of products that will make the hair shiny, coconut oil for a start.
    Oo I've often wondered whether it really as wonderful as the brands say it is.
    What is the best way to use it? Is it like using olive oil on hair application wise, ie coat hair in it before washing then shampoo/condition? I think I will order some now.

You can put some in the hair before shampooing, you can add it to your conditioner, you can use it on damp hair before blow drying, you can add some to the ends in between washes; it's a multi purpose product. I use rollers and I add Moroccanoil to the ends before rolling. It really does give a nice shine, but I don't think I'll repurchase...
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    I have fine but fizzy hair....Argan Oil, various types... this oil, leaves my hair greasy.. horribly hard to dry, and feeling lank... I've never yet mastered the amount required.. I'm clearly putting on too much, but I'm trying miniscule amounts... to no avail...

any advice .. other than that, I given up x
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I've just brought four bottles of 100% Argan oil back from Turkey and it's 55ml in size and costs just £4!

^^^ Bonny, are you only applying it to the ends of your hair? From the roots would prove too much.

A spray or few drops warmed in the palms of your hands are a great facial treatment too.:)
  • chicaxschicaxs Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Honestly, Argan Oil is the best treatment for your hair.

My treatment is as follows;

Once a month I cover my hair (A very good amount) of 100% Argan oil and sleep with it. Depending on the treatment/ state of your hair, you need can increase this to once a week. I wash the next day and it leaves its feeling super soft, shiny and extra strong. You will notice a difference straight away. It also is great for dry scalp/Hair. If Split ends increase this is your hair telling you - You need a cut. This happened to me, and now I have argan oil indicating when I am due my Hair cut :D

Every week before I wash my hair (I wash my hair 2-3 times a week - It's very thick and long so hard to maintain/increase of washing it damages my hair!) I soak my hair with Argan oil an hour before I wash. Then wash as normal.

After washing my hair a rub tiny amounts in my hair, concentrating on the ends (1-2 drops) then blow dry/style. Day to day, depending on the frizz, I would rub some on my dry ends. Do not put it on your roots. Your ends do that job for you.

I swear by it. I have used MoroccanOil but then heard horror stories about the rip off treatment the company does to berber women working for the project, so I buy mine directly from Morocco, supporting the berber women as a cause. Its much cheaper, pure and more effective. MoroccanOil works very well, but Argan Oil (100% Pure) is AMAZING, works amazingly well and better then the chemically infused products. Yes it stinks (Kind of like a very strong sesame oil) on your hair, but I never smelt it, especially since I use it before I wash. Its a natural deep conditioner so you can use it before you wash. To be honest even on my day to day use, I do not smell it in my hair.

If you ever go Holidaying in morocco, be sure to buy it - it's so cheap (around 5 pounds 500ml a bottle) but be sure to pack it in your suitcase. Note the Argan tree only comes from Morocco - so there is alot of rip off companies saying they sell it when in fact it isnt argan oil at all.

Try and ensure you do not use it on your face too much, this is a little misleading as I know there are two versions of argan oil, one for the face, another for the hair, I believe the difference is filtering, (The face argan oil is much more filtered and uses different parts of the argan tree.) In which I have that version and that too is great!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I use the Avon argan oil range, I use the shampoo, conditioner and then the oil itself, my hair is very long and thick and while it hasn't turned my hair into a silky Cheryl Cole mane it is nice to use and makes it easy to get the comb through my hair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's good stuff, feels like serum to me than oil where as moroccan oil is more darker in colour and feels like oil. It's ok. Some argan oils come in a spray thats what my hairdresser uses and spray all over my hair.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use the Avon range aswell. The shampoo and conditioner is great. I the little oil you can buy is good to use every so often. I cant use it every time as my hair gets greasy easily.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all your advice, I had forgotten about this thread.
    I'm going to try the avon stuff it seems to have good feedback, I am concerned about putting the neat oil on my hair as I do have greasy hair and don't want to make it worse.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone who finds argan oil a bit greasy (it can be too heavy for fine hair), try Body Shop's Grapeseed Glossing Serum. It's much lighter and really makes your hair shine. Smells lovely too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered/recieved the Avon set (shampoo/conditioner/oil and mask) earlier this week, I used it today for the first time (shampoo/cond and oil) and am really impressed by the results!

My hair feels amazing and has a beautiful sheen, am super impressed.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh I stupidly started another thread about the condition of my hair following a stint in hospital. This has thrown me a bit into confusion as what to do for the best I am leaning towards the Avon product as a start to hopefully get my hair something like healthy again. My hair is long, naturally curly but I do straighten it but only once a week. My hair is usually glossy and silky naturally but now it's dull, a bit lank and in desperate need of repair. Had it trimmed at weekend and its helped a bit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Avon stuff has been brilliant for my hair, this is the set I bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009JCDQH4/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359396439&sr=8-1&pi=SL75 . It's quite good value I thought, as you get 4 items.
    I keep having to have a couple of vain seconds every time I pass a mirror since using it on weekend as I just can't get over how shiny and luscious my hair is! It's seriously wonderful stuff and I wish I'd discovered it years ago!
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to give the Avon stuff a go. It's in the sale section of their (US) website, I just hope I don't fall in love with the stuff and they decide to discontinue it....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've ordered the Avon stuff fingers crossed it works. I found it difficult to justify the cost for Moroccan Oil as a first purchase
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I too just started using the Avon Argon Oil, great stuff.
    Will try the tip about putting it through my hair before I wash it tonight and see what occurs!
    I have really thick curly/frizzy hair, so any help is well appreciated!:p
  • chicaxschicaxs Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    The other hair product that is great is macadamia oil. Its 50% macadamia, 50% argan oil - I think it is much better for thinner/greasy hair. I use their deep repair masque once a week - that two does wonders, especially during this cold snap were experiencing!
    Forum Member
    well I've used the Avon shampoo, conditioner and leave in oil today and my hair is super soft and shiny I love it, my little girl who has long curly hair also had hair washed in it last night and her hair looks beautiful, really soft and her curls look lovely
    I'm another Avon argan oil range lover !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used the shampoo and conditioner tonight followed by the oil, so am hoping tomorrow I have lush gorgeous hair lol
    Forum Member
    fingers crossed!

I was worried about it making my hair greasy, I don't think it has but I cant keep touching it and running my fingers through it because it has made it so so soft that its going to end up greasy !
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I don't use Argan oil but I do use a hair oil. I don't think it needs to actually be Argan oil to make a difference to your hair. Avon has been raved about in this thread but actually has a minuscule amount of Argan oil in it (see here).

I received L'Oreal's Mythic Oil in a Glossybox about a year ago but never really used it as I hate having oil on my hands. But more recently my hair has been in a bad condition so I've started using it. It's really made a difference and I've nearly used it up. I've just bought their Extraordinary Oil so I can't wait to try that out.

My hair is naturally very greasy but it's been no more greasy using an oil.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I don't use Argan oil but I do use a hair oil. I don't think it needs to actually be Argan oil to make a difference to your hair. Avon has been raved about in this thread but actually has a minuscule amount of Argan oil in it (see here).

I received L'Oreal's Mythic Oil in a Glossybox about a year ago but never really used it as I hate having oil on my hands. But more recently my hair has been in a bad condition so I've started using it. It's really made a difference and I've nearly used it up. I've just bought their Extraordinary Oil so I can't wait to try that out.

My hair is naturally very greasy but it's been no more greasy using an oil.

No you don't need to use argan specifically, I actually think coconut oil has more conditioning properties than argan oil, but that's just in my experience. This is why I use a blend of oils, so I can get use the best of the best oils in one hit!
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I seem to be a bit behind you all in trying argan oil products, but I bought some from Asda today for only £1 and my thick wavy (although I straighten it) hair feels wonderful, soft and silky...still cannot believe it was only £1 :)

Edit: I know its an old thread but it seemed pointless starting a new one for the same subject.