Anyone having trouble with BT Broadband?

Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone having trouble with their standard BT Broadband? My hub cuts out all the time and the support staff are useless.

I can't be the only person having this trouble, can I?

Comments

• albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't be the only person having this trouble, can I?
    You might be the only one if it is a fault with your line and nobody else's.

Have you tried contacting the mods on the BT forum?
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had major issues with my broadband the last few weeks. My speed has dropped from 6Mbps to 1Mbps. Initially my IP Profile was reset and it sorted the problem for a few days, but then my line levelled out at 3Mbps. The profile is set at 7. Today I've been told it could be the hub that's the problem, so I've been persuaded to take out a new 12 month contract to receive a new hub. I'm not convinced it's the hub, but I'll find out. I only called to arrange an engineer because one had been out today while I wasn't home. :eek:

If the fault isn't with the hub then I still have to arrange an engineer, which may cost me £99 if they say the fault is within my house, and I feel like I'm getting absolutely nowhere with them. Different technical advisors over the last few weeks have all told me it sounds like a "throughput?" problem. Today, the advisor told me that they just say that to everyone, and that they just say it's a network problem without actually knowing what the fault is, so that's nice to hear. Not all bad, though. Taking out a new 12 month contrat has saved me £20 a month and I get a nice, new hub. I just hope it's all worth it to get my speed back up to 6Mbps. :(
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first thing to do to track down problems with broadband is to go to the master socket. This assumes you have an NTE5 type socket with the two part faceplate. If not exit now :). If you are still here, remove the lower section of the faceplate. This will reveal the test socket which is wired directly across the incoming line. It also isolates any extension wiring you may have.

Plug the router directly into the test socket and leave it on test for a few hours at least. If the problem goes away when using the test socket then most likely the fault is with your internal wiring. If however the fault remains then chances are it is on the incoming line. Or the filter you are using, so always use a couple of filters just to be on the safe side.

This test could save you a call out charge if the fault is found to be a dodgy extension cable for example.

If the test socket reveals a problem with your internal wiring then the most likely cause is damage to the cable. So you need to trace all the extension wiring and inspect carefully for signs of damage. Favourite sites are where cables have been run under the carpet across door openings or round door frames instead of doing the job properly.

It could also be a dodgy phone or some other device plugged into the line. Or a dodgy filter on an extension socket. (I assume all extension phones, Sky boxes etc etc are filtered?). Unplugging everything then plugging one device in, testing then plug the next device in and so on to find the culprit is the only way to work out what is causing the problem.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The first thing to do to track down problems with broadband is to go to the master socket. This assumes you have an NTE5 type socket with the two part faceplate. If not exit now :). If you are still here, remove the lower section of the faceplate. This will reveal the test socket which is wired directly across the incoming line. It also isolates any extension wiring you may have.

Plug the router directly into the test socket and leave it on test for a few hours at least. If the problem goes away when using the test socket then most likely the fault is with your internal wiring. If however the fault remains then chances are it is on the incoming line. Or the filter you are using, so always use a couple of filters just to be on the safe side.

This test could save you a call out charge if the fault is found to be a dodgy extension cable for example.

If the test socket reveals a problem with your internal wiring then the most likely cause is damage to the cable. So you need to trace all the extension wiring and inspect carefully for signs of damage. Favourite sites are where cables have been run under the carpet across door openings or round door frames instead of doing the job properly.

It could also be a dodgy phone or some other device plugged into the line. Or a dodgy filter on an extension socket. (I assume all extension phones, Sky boxes etc etc are filtered?). Unplugging everything then plugging one device in, testing then plug the next device in and so on to find the culprit is the only way to work out what is causing the problem.
    I don't have a socket with the test socket inside, so I haven't been able to do that, but I've tried everything else. My hub is connected to the phone line via a filter, only a couple of feet from the socket so no extension cable required, with the phone also connected to that filter. My other phone socket only has my Sky box connected to it when I do a manual callback every couple of weeks. My Sky box is connected to the hub via ethernet cable, though. I did disconnect that for a few days and saw no improvement in speeds, so I don't think that's the problem.

I'm tempted to try disconnecting my phone, as you suggest, to see if that makes any difference. I've tried different filters, but I might try that again, too. My original hub, which was the very first BT hub, was working fine until a few weeks ago. I replaced that with the second BT hub that I had lying around brand new in its box that BT sent me out a few years ago. It's working fine but the speeds are still slow. When the tech advisor suggested it was the hub today I just couldn't get my head around how it could suddenly go really slow. Maybe it can, but I don't know how. He said that the new BT hub is designed to be much faster and is probably going to fix the issue.

The socket is never touched so I don't know how the internal wiring could get damaged, and it goes directly to the outside of the house where the phone line comes into the house. I'm sure it will end up being a problem my end and I will have to pay the £99, but as long as I get my speeds back up it's not that bad. I just hate being told it's definitely a network problem and that engineers are being sent out to work on the exchange, only to be told today that they don't know what the fault is at all.
  • BT SupportBT Support Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Hi Simon,

I would like to take a look at your Broadband for you. Please could you send me in your details using the link below?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

Thanks

Paddy,
  • Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a bit of hassle with BT Broadband. My friend (who is disabled) asked me if i could set it up for him. No problem so I thought. Plugged it in as per instructions. Looked fine. 3 blue lights on hub as should be. Broadband working fine via a LAN cable. But not wireless. Neither my phone, Tablet or Laptop could find the router. Tried all the usual resets etc. but no. Still no wireless. To me it looked like a faulty router DESPITE the fact BT had printed on the box that 80% of the "faulty" routers returned to them were actually working fine!
    So I called customer services who did try, but were not really helpful. They suggested the network card on my laptop was faulty! When I insisted that my laptop (& Tablet & phone) were most certainly NOT faulty,they had the cheek to pass me through to some premium rate (£2 a min,) technical service!
    In all fairness to them (after my initial rage & refusal to pay £2 a min.) they soon agreed with me that the router WAS in fact faulty & sent out a new one. It is working fine now with the new router. :D
  • thespooksterthespookster Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I had issues a few months ago where my broadband went down from around 16mps to around 1 or 2mps with multiple disconnections a day. After a few tests by myself and BT and trying all the usual suspects like filters, cables, etc, it turned out it was the Hub at fault. Looks like a lot of the original V1 hubs are either failing or not completely compatible with current broadband speeds. Got sent the latest V3 hub and everything nice and fast now.
  • ken190ken190 Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a problem with BT Internet on the BT forum there been posting on there people have been having problems with their Internet and BT are blaming it on Windows 10 has all over the weekend with people having no Internet according to BT forums bt spokesman said that the problem will be fixed today but it has not been fixed so it's still going on BT have got a lot of problems at the moment with their Internet someone phoned me from India CallCenter to tell me that someone is wrong with my window 10 and I've got no problems here i do not know wy there phoneing me just lot off people had know internet all over the weekend in the uk
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ken190 wrote: »
    ..... someone phoned me from India CallCenter to tell me that someone is wrong with my window 10 and I've got no problems here i do not know wy there phoneing me just lot off people had know internet all over the weekend in the uk
    That sounds like a coincidence. Probably one of the scam calls that we all seem to get from time to time.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2065195
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ken190 wrote: »
    There is a problem with BT Internet on the BT forum there been posting on there people have been having problems with their Internet and BT are blaming it on Windows 10 has all over the weekend with people having no Internet according to BT forums bt spokesman said that the problem will be fixed today but it has not been fixed so it's still going on BT have got a lot of problems at the moment with their Internet someone phoned me from India CallCenter to tell me that someone is wrong with my window 10 and I've got no problems here i do not know wy there phoneing me just lot off people had know internet all over the weekend in the uk

Is your keyboard broken ?