• BigDuckBigDuck Posts: 4,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was sad to see Tom go.

But I'm gonna miss Jack and Liberty more!! :(
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    I must be the only one who enjoyed the Lula stuff, I'm disappointed they dropped Esther after it and I hope we get more new teachers next term as with Tom gone and Grantly leaving, their staff numbers are severely depleted.

I thought Esther was a promising character, but they consigned her to the one storyline and it was, for me, the weakest and most pointless storyline of the series - it didn't go anywhere, it didn't contribute to the ongoing plotlines in the end and you could have watched all ten episodes without it happening, and everything else would have ended the same. In other words, it was filler material.

I'm going to miss Jack... he never really had much of a story of his own. Aside from a slight history with Barry Barry, he was always quite a normal student without any drama. It allowed him to shine as a more believable character.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    I won't miss Jack or Liberty much, but I will miss Tom.

Only Kevin, Connor, Grantly, Christine and Sonya are keeping me watching this now...
    Forum Member
    I think I quite enjoy many of the characters now.

In the space of a series Christine has turned around and become a brilliant addition. I think she makes a great head.

Sonya is lovely, I don't mind Audrey, Grantly and Maggie are a brilliant duo and I dare say I even began to like Michael just before he went.

Student wise, I think they're establishing quite a solid selection too. Kevin and Connor are fantastic, Imogen and Dynasty are as well. It's only really Rhiannon I don't like... her character is written all over the place and I can't tell if it's deliberate or not :o

I also began to realise how difficult things must be for Rose Kelly, back in Rochdale. She's lost Sambuca, Denzil and Tom in the space of less than two full seasons, whilst Kyle is in prison too!
  • Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    I think I quite enjoy many of the characters now.

In the space of a series Christine has turned around and become a brilliant addition. I think she makes a great head.

Sonya is lovely, I don't mind Audrey, Grantly and Maggie are a brilliant duo and I dare say I even began to like Michael just before he went.

Student wise, I think they're establishing quite a solid selection too. Kevin and Connor are fantastic, Imogen and Dynasty are as well. It's only really Rhiannon I don't like... her character is written all over the place and I can't tell if it's deliberate or not :o

I also began to realise how difficult things must be for Rose Kelly, back in Rochdale. She's lost Sambuca, Denzil and Tom in the space of less than two full seasons, whilst Kyle is in prison too!

Kyle? I don't think her son's name was Kyle - can't remember what it was, but someone soon will. :) Something like Earl?

I liked Rose's character.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I watch Waterloo Road only very rarely, but I watched yesterday's episode because I noticed that George Sampson was going to be back in it.

But it was interesting to notice that the trauma of being married to Ian Beale has caused the 4th Mrs Beale to become Scottish, and to want to live in a world which is even more violent and dysfunctional than Walford.
    Forum Member
    Do we believe Kyle has genuinely turned over a new leaf? I can't work him out.

I think so, but I haven't watched much of it before.
    Forum Member
    Whovian wrote: »
    The thing that killed the series off was moving it to Scotland. Most of the plot lines are ridiculous but this was the icing on the cake.

Oh I see! Like Grange Hill moving from London to Liverpool (or whatever it was)? That explains it. Completely logical and realistic, just like everything else in Waterloo Road.

I've not watched it much, but whenever i do watch an episode, they always seem to have a new teacher, or a new pupil, arriving at the school for the purpose of one particular storyline which lasts for the episode, but then they disappear again as if they were never there.
    Forum Member
    Rosie Red wrote: »
    Kyle? I don't think her son's name was Kyle - can't remember what it was, but someone soon will. :) Something like Earl?

I liked Rose's character.

Sorry, yes... it is Earl. Must have been off some place else when I typed that :p

I liked Rose's character as well. The best characters are the ones you hate when you first see them, and they win you over week by week. Christine is the most comparable to that these days for me. Coincidentally, they were both alcoholics :p
    johnloony wrote: »
    But it was interesting to notice that the trauma of being married to Ian Beale has caused the 4th Mrs Beale to become Scottish, and to want to live in a world which is even more violent and dysfunctional than Walford.

The Scottish accent you hear is her genuine accent. Her Eastenders accent is put on, admittedly rather brilliantly. :)
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The writers have been merciless with that poor woman. Four kids when we first met her, and now two are dead and one in jail. At least she's still got Marley.
  • Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think perhaps people criticising the post-Scotland WR are missing the biggest problem with the show now. The budget.

I only started watching around Season 5 but been a fan ever since. Back then you had three and a half "groups" and they made a much larger cast than currently. There were more teachers/staff with potential storylines, two groups of kids, a younger lot and an older lot and each on its own was larger than the current group (and I don't remember them all being cast of mid 20s) and you had more involvement of parent storylines.

Now you have a much smaller cast, and the storylines all get pushed on the same few people and in turn this has made the annoying interchangeable pupil years much worse and much more noticeable than before. The lack of budget has killed the whole show, far more than the fairly nonsensical move to Greenock.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enudzio wrote: »
    where did you hear that first bit from?
    Their Twitters
  • enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard Waterloo Road returns on August 22 this year for Series 9
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's possible to lay bets on whether this will be the last ever series? I think it will be.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the last few episodes over the past couple of days, RIP Tom :(

Hes gona be a miss, been in it from the start, just won't be the same without him.

The way the camera followed him down at the end, before switching to the side for the thump :(

Just Grantly to go now, he'll be a miss as well, another thats been there from the beginning. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigDuck wrote: »
    It was sad to see Tom go.

But I'm gonna miss Jack and Liberty more!! :(

Liberty will be a big miss, she was hot :(:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Just watched last weeks ep and they keep saying Rihannon is in yr 5 is this scoland type yrs because in u.k yr 5 is known as primary school :confused:
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all - here we go..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are Scottish years reset after primary/secondary etc - cos i remember that...

Christ - Deayton's still on an old PS/2?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaand... George's marriage is going down the toilet...
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY

seen it coming
    and BUSTED TOO
    teehee
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    This George is a very interesting character to watch out for. Very manipulative and obviously out for himself. Could he be more than just a Grantly substitute as previously thought? He's been very quick to make enemies with the new Tom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been catching up on this again, and im starting to flag now, beginning to lose interest fast, shame tbh, as it used to be great, and wtf at the Emergency Assembly, where there was only about 20 pupils there, surely the school has more than 1 class :p
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Just been catching up on this again, and im starting to flag now, beginning to lose interest fast, shame tbh, as it used to be great, and wtf at the Emergency Assembly, where there was only about 20 pupils there, surely the school has more than 1 class :p

If they did, they wouldn't have enough staff to teach them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Christine said to George he has to teach year 3 WTF :confused: