Swimming shorts

Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Firstly I'd like to assure you all that I'm not some pervert posting this to get cheap thrills. I was advised on this forum a couple of weeks ago that I should get out more, so I'm thinking of starting going swimming because I need to get more exercise and I enjoyed it when I was a child. The council are opening a new pool near me next month so I'm keen to give it a go. However, I haven't been in a swimming pool since I was 11 so I'm a bit stuck on what shorts to get. I know you get baggy ones and ones like cycling shorts, but I don't know what men wear to swim these days and I don't want to look like either an idiot or a weirdo. I'll mostly be swimming to get fit but I imagine I'll probably fancy a trip down the flumes now and then, if it makes any difference. Any recommendations?

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ron_J wrote: »
    Firstly I'd like to assure you all that I'm not some pervert posting this to get cheap thrills. I was advised on this forum a couple of weeks ago that I should get out more, so I'm thinking of starting going swimming because I need to get more exercise and I enjoyed it when I was a child. The council are opening a new pool near me next month so I'm keen to give it a go. However, I haven't been in a swimming pool since I was 11 so I'm a bit stuck on what shorts to get. I know you get baggy ones and ones like cycling shorts, but I don't know what men wear to swim these days and I don't want to look like either an idiot or a weirdo. I'll mostly be swimming to get fit but I imagine I'll probably fancy a trip down the flumes now and then, if it makes any difference. Any recommendations?

Plain shorts, not long ones.. No speedos
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not speedos.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    AnitaS wrote: »
    Definitely not speedos.

Unless you are Uber fit and a member of a swimming club...
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you are Uber fit and a member of a swimming club...
    Oh yes, Tom Daley is allowed speedos. No-one else though.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mid length (about half way down your thigh) should be fine. You can pick them up in sports direct for between £5 and £10.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I wear long ones, but short ones are fine too. I find they tend to come without "built in pants" a lot more these days.

As long as its not speedos you will be fine.
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, speedos didn't even figure on my radar. I was wondering about the tight ones but they might be a bit too speedo-like..?
  • LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for something you feel comfortable in. It's you who will be wearing them.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ron_J wrote: »
    Yeah, speedos didn't even figure on my radar. I was wondering about the tight ones but they might be a bit too speedo-like..?

The tight ones in theory have less drag but I am guessing that you are swimming at a level where you won't don't the difference.
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    The tight ones in theory have less drag but I am guessing that you are swimming at a level where you won't don't the difference.

Absolutely. I got a pair of plain ordinary not-too-long-not-too-tight ones at the sports shop this afternoon and I'm looking forward to trying them out tomorrow after work. Hopefully I'll remember how to swim! Thanks for the advice everyone.