A Brilliant Ending ruined by the next film.

Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm talking about Halloween H20, the ending was just perfect but they went and ruined it in the seventh installment (Ressurection)

Comments

• Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    It's physically impossible for one film to ruin another. Everything is in your head.

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    It's physically impossible for one film to ruin another. Everything is in your head.

Regards

Mark

.QFT.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I'm talking about Halloween H20, the ending was just perfect but they went and ruined it in the seventh installment (Ressurection)

T'was the ambulance driver was it not that lost his head?
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that the start of Alien 3 ruined the end of Aliens.
    It made all of Ripley's efforts going back to get Newt pointless.
  • Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    T'was the ambulance driver was it not that lost his head?

yes. :)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »

That's the example I immediately thought of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It tends to be a horror film thing as the next disconnected entry in the series has to find a get-out for what happened at the end of the previous one. Usually it's because someone died in the end and they need them back for the sequel:rolleyes:

The Descent 2 making a mess of our Descent ending (as compared to the American one) is a good example of this.

Hammer's Revenge of Frankenstein had to do something similar when the Curse of Frankenstein turned out to be a hit.
    Forum Member

Aside from Newt being a pain in the arse....seriously though, I thought it makes it all the more tragic. All that for nothing.

I personally think films like these should be adult only affairs. In a similar vein the kids in Jurassic Park and its follow up were mind bogglingly annoying.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member

On the contrary, it actually set the tone that this film wasn't going to be the cute Hollywood sentimental twaddle that was expressed in the end of Aliens. If anything drags Aliens down, other than the cliched marine characters and overuse of the alien creatures (because quantity must trump quality... :rolleyes:), it's that silly, Hollywood styled ending.
    The autopsy scene was also quite satisfying in that regard, too. ;)
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    On the contrary, it actually set the tone that this film wasn't going to be the cute Hollywood sentimental twaddle that was expressed in the end of Aliens. If anything drags Aliens down, other than the cliched marine characters and overuse of the alien creatures (because quantity must trump quality... :rolleyes:), it's that silly, Hollywood styled ending.
    The autopsy scene was also quite satisfying in that regard, too. ;)

I can't agree with you any more.

Hated that overblown Colonial Marine stuff. Dialog like "Game over maaaan, game over" was utterly cringeworthy as was the marine posturing.

Out of the four Alien films (not counting AvP) Cameron's was the most saccharine sweet. Funny that.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

this is also the first example i thought of.
    i quite like an alternate continuity made in (a pre alien 3) Aliens: book 1 comic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Except that Newt was so friggin annoying, her death actually improved the third film.

Plus what Gort said.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raise the Titanic was annoying , just a cheap sequel to cash in on Cameron's epic .
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The start of Irreversible ruined Seul contre tous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    sbds1 wrote: »
    .QFT.

What does this mean?
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    i agree resurrection Fd up h20s classic ending big time i cant watch h20 in piece anymore knowing the ending to the 1st halloween franchise is Fkd up

1,2,h20 the perfect trilogy

but ressurections connection to it ruins it big time for me i always watch h20 now knowing laurie dies in the next one and thats not micheal in the mask so the beheading is not as good or final for me i know people say just forget ressurection but i cant seem to do it because it is a connecting sequal

nightmare on elm street got a perfect close in the franchise with freddys dead and new nightmare at least it has a beginning middle and end

halloweens franchise didt get an end to its thorn sequals or the laurie strode based sqeuals we got resurrection but he was still going in the end of that one what a terrible movie

the remake franchises are new storys so they dont count but zombies halloweens are god awfull but nightmare could get back on track with a decent sequal
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The beginning of Psycho IV makes no sense in the context of the series. How the Hell could Norman be free again within 4 years of being caught red-handed (literally) with a load of dead bodies at the end of Psycho III?
  • misterelimistereli Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »

Regards

Mark

I disagree. You can try to ignore it, but they're still part of the same story.

I can ignore Rob Zombie's crap Halloween series because it is a reboot with different actors. If Jamie Lee Curtis wasn't in Ressurection, I could ignore that too. But she and her character was. Would have been great if they left it with H20. It was the perfect ending. But like it or not, the story got continued and so H20's ending is no longer an ending really.

I still think H20 was a worthy sequel, but the ending doesn't have the same effect now that we know what happens next.

Also, I hated Alien 3. That too made the Aliens ending lose its impact because we know how the characters end up.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    What does this mean?
    Yes, I had to look that up. It means 'Quoted For Truth'.

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donnie Darko's ending was ruined by S. Darko the very much un-needed sequel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raise the Titanic was annoying , just a cheap sequel to cash in on Cameron's epic .

love it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people keep mentioning Halloween H20 was ruined by Halloween Resurrection

But Halloween H20 ruined Halloween 6!!!!!! the continuity changed - and parts 4, 5 and 6 apparently never existed according to H20.

yes, i know they where crap. but part 4 was there first!
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Highlander, in the first one the immortals were mysterious, cursed people in the shadows.
    In Highlander 2 they were Alens, absolute shite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Highlander, in the first one the immortals were mysterious, cursed people in the shadows.
    In Highlander 2 they were Alens, absolute shite.

aye!! big budget as well, and it was pants!!!
    they tried to forget about it for part 3 - by setting it before part 2!!!
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say The Matrix...but is that actually a case of "Which film shouldn't have had a sequel?", which is a slightly different question?