Schindler's List

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read the book before seeing the film. But I've always wondered, why did they change the original name, Schindler's Ark to Schindler's List when they made the film?

Comments

• Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Americans would probably expect Harrison Ford to be in it.
  • PemblechookPemblechook Posts: 2,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gather the book was published as 'Schindler's List' from the beginning in the USA and changed to that name in other countries later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gather the book was published as 'Schindler's List' from the beginning in the USA and changed to that name in other countries later.

But why? what was wrong with the original title?

ps. It's a great book and better than the film, so are so many others. The Silence of the Lambs for example. They left so much of the forensic details in the film that made the book such a page turner. I saw the film at the cinema and came away disappointed.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Just watching as recorded last night..I also read the book first..am currently reading a book written by Schindlers survivors..according to them the film was very accurate apart from a few scenes..they even recall the actual incidents in the film.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Perhaps because "Ark" has more of a feeling of safety as in Noahs Ark rather than just a list of names.
  • nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic but I was at the dentist the other day, using the lift and noticed it was made by 'Schindlers" A Schindlers lift?:confused:
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ^ Google is your friend.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Thomas kenneally wrote a follow up called searching for schindler and it's explained in that.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A possible explanation on the title change for the US version of the novel:
    When Thomas Keneally came this week to discuss Schindler's Ark, the very first questioner asked him why the book was known as Schindler's List in the US. One might have guessed that an "issue" had been raised. Someone at the American publishers had thought that the metaphor of the ark was unacceptable: it implied Jews meekly going off two-by-two like obedient beasts. No, no, said the author. What about the other "ark", the ark of the covenant? Wasn't this novel about a saving covenant? "No one will get it," the marketing man replied. The title was duly changed.

From Guardian Book Club: Out of character
    John Mullan on readers' responses to Thomas Keneally's Schindler's Ark
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    A timeless film. I'm currently reading a book about Dr. Mengele from the perspective of one of the Jews recruited on arrival at Auschwitz to assist him in his experiments. I think he only appears in one scene in the film but it's still chilling to see him portrayed with his polite, welcoming manner.
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »
    But why? what was wrong with the original title?

ps. It's a great book and better than the film, so are so many others. The Silence of the Lambs for example. They left so much of the forensic details in the film that made the book such a page turner. I saw the film at the cinema and came away disappointed.

Interesting way to put it... when I read it I found myself stopping in my tracks unable to take in any more of the horrors, knowing this was a true story... , and needing time to stop and absorb the enormity of what I was reading before being able to continue .... Everyone should read this book, especially young people as it's too easy for them to underestimate what happened and think it won't happen again...
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Schindler's List is a better title .

when you watch the film its amazing how often people are reduced to just names on a list for the horror of the bureacracy of the Nazis , but this is then turned around by Schindler who creates a similar list but one for life , the Nazi goons obey both sets of lists .

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Schindler's List is a better title .

when you watch the film its amazing how often people are reduced to just names on a list for the horror of the bureacracy of the Nazis , but this is then turned around by Schindler who creates a similar list but one for life , the Nazi goons obey both sets of lists .

The Nazis were absolutely obsessed with lists and bureaucracy. They of course had precise figures for the amount of people they were exterminating in the camps, everything down on paper.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    Everyone should read this book, especially young people as it's too easy for them to underestimate what happened and think it won't happen again...
    Good idea. It would be easy for them to underestimate what happened by watching Schindler's List certainly.

As Kubrick once commented, the holocaust is about 6 million people who get killed. Schindler's List is about 600 who don't.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    Interesting way to put it... when I read it I found myself stopping in my tracks unable to take in any more of the horrors, knowing this was a true story... , and needing time to stop and absorb the enormity of what I was reading before being able to continue .... Everyone should read this book, especially young people as it's too easy for them to underestimate what happened and think it won't happen again...

I agree..my teenagers watched it with me..also encouraged them to watch the boy in the striped pajamas and life is beautiful..I know none of these can really portray the enormity of the horrors but at least it promoted discussion and they learnt a little..if anyone mentions the holocaust they are fully aware of what happened,names involved and both sons just sat in silence through Schindlers list when they first saw it in their early teens..it did affect them
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    I read the book before seeing the film. But I've always wondered, why did they change the original name, Schindler's Ark to Schindler's List when they made the film?

I can see the point of Schindlers ark but the main focus of the film is the list of the names of those to be saved.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    The final speech at the end and his leaving are up there with the great film moments of all time.

It's a real 'shut up and listen' film and Spielberg leant that less is more. It's worked!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    "List" sounds better

Pretty much a perfect movie. No flaws whatsoever.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe because the initials would have been SA.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The final speech at the end and his leaving are up there with the great film moments of all time.

It's a real 'shut up and listen' film and Spielberg leant that less is more. It's worked!

I watched it this morning and I cried a little when Schindler broke down and the bit where the Jews were walking in line and we got a close up of some of the faces. :cry:

It's a profound movie every time you watch it.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic but I was at the dentist the other day, using the lift and noticed it was made by 'Schindlers" A Schindlers lift?:confused:
    I think of that every time I get into our lift lol :D