Tony Blackburn covering for Steve Wright

Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,690
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bank Holiday stand-ins on Radio 2 are generally average or poor and are best avoided, however Tony Blackburn this afternoon was brilliant.

No BS, no fawning over boring guests, just well presented grown up music radio.

Note to Bob Shennan: Radio professionals who know about the music they are playing and can present a good tight radio show = good.
TV personalities/comedians who the public may have heard of = (in most cases) bad.

Comments

• big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine and Simon Mayo were all working today, where as Steve Wright and Chris Evans were off for today, but are back later this week? I presume it's a contractual thing.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    How come Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine and Simon Mayo were all working today, where as Steve Wright and Chris Evans were off for today, but are back later this week? I presume it's a contractual thing.

You've answered your own question.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »
    Bank Holiday stand-ins on Radio 2 are generally average or poor and are best avoided, however Tony Blackburn this afternoon was brilliant.

Note to Bob Shennan: Radio professionals who know about the music they are playing and can present a good tight radio show = good.
    TV personalities/comedians who the public may have heard of = (in most cases) bad.

The "boring guests" are a BBC Trust service licence requirement for Radio 2 to have speech content during the daytime.

Three hours of continuous music radio is a bank holiday treat but it wouldn't be acceptable on a normal weekday afternoon.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »

Agree!

TB should be the regular stand in for Wrighty not the ego's of Tarrant or Kielty.

A great show, took me right back to the late 70's with Tony in the same slot on Radio 1.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've answered your own question.

Yes, but WHY do Steve Wright and Chris Evans "get away with it" (for want of a better expression) and the others don't? Is it just that Ken Bruce etc. just isn't bothered about having to work Bank Holidays yet Wright and Evans demanded it in their contract negotiations?
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TB should be a regular weekday cover he just brings such a fun relaxed quality feel to the airwaves
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Agree!

TB should be the regular stand in for Wrighty not the ego's of Tarrant or Kielty.

A great show, took me right back to the late 70's with Tony in the same slot on Radio 1.

Couldn't agree more I actually listened to Radio2 today normally the words "Bank Holiday" and "Radio2" means an empty studio running on autoplay (pretty much) with a string of nasty pre recorded shows given to overpaid TV presenters and/or radio friendly comedians etc etc

A good idea to get Tony on I think!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Listened to almost the whole show on a drive up to manchester, So much better than Steve. Great to hear him today on R2.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    You know what you're gonna get with Tony, a good solid show with great music and some of Tony's regular brand of humour.

It was simply Steve Wright In The Afternoon with Tony Blackburn. No special format, just the usual show with more added music and the non stop oldies of course.

I'd far prefer Tony than Tarrant or Keilty next time Steve is away which probably be in June.
  • mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    The "boring guests" are a BBC Trust service licence requirement for Radio 2 to have speech content during the daytime.

Three hours of continuous music radio is a bank holiday treat but it wouldn't be acceptable on a normal weekday afternoon.

The BBC trust service licence requirement should urgently reviewed on boring guests for the sake of speech radio on Radio 2 , continuous music radio should be acceptable 7 days a week .
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but WHY do Steve Wright and Chris Evans "get away with it" (for want of a better expression) and the others don't? Is it just that Ken Bruce etc. just isn't bothered about having to work Bank Holidays yet Wright and Evans demanded it in their contract negotiations?

They / their agent are better at negotiating to put it simply. At contract renewal time they will place down their demands and R2 and the BBC will either say Yep thats fine, not a chance or Heres what we want and then both parties discuss until in agreement. They would also discuss payment, holidays and any other clauses at contract renewal.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC trust service licence requirement should urgently reviewed on boring guests for the sake of speech radio on Radio 2 , continuous music radio should be acceptable 7 days a week .

Then it would be the same as commercial radio so the BBC need to provide something different. The BBC is built to provide an alternative, in Radio 2's case a more diverse mix of music and more speech based output than commercial radio.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member

Tune into Heart or Absolute if you want more music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    Then it would be the same as commercial radio so the BBC need to provide something different. The BBC is built to provide an alternative, in Radio 2's case a more diverse mix of music and more speech based output than commercial radio.

Radio 2's day time musical output is a very good alternative to most commercial radio stations , who seem to play the same records to death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjex wrote: »

If you want more speech radio , then you've got Radio 4 , 5 Live and BBC local radio - how much more speech radio do you want ?
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Blackburn in the Afternoon was brilliant. I wish he would cover sometimes when Wrighty takes holidays?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    He didn't sound tired. You cannot tell the guy is 70. Sounds fresher than Steve.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    Sean Park wrote: »
    He didn't sound tired. You cannot tell the guy is 70. Sounds fresher than Steve.

70 years old and still at the top of his game.

Sensational:D
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon he could adapt the show if he covered to a soul and motown non stop half hour with listeners choices?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I reckon he could adapt the show if he covered to a soul and motown non stop half hour with listeners choices?

That would be a good idea !
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member

How do you know that the others "get away with it" as you put it. For all you know they could have taken the day off but chose not to. Perhaps they are contracted to provide a certain number of shows and when or when they take days off within reason is up to them.

I doubt they're all BBC employees anyway so they can probably decide when they work knowing that a day off is a days less money. Perhaps they get double for doing the bh, who knows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    How do you know that the others "get away with it" as you put it. For all you know they could have taken the day off but chose not to. Perhaps they are contracted to provide a certain number of shows and when or when they take days off within reason is up to them.

I doubt they're all BBC employees anyway so they can probably decide when they work knowing that a day off is a days less money. Perhaps they get double for doing the bh, who knows.

I wouldn't be surprised if its to do with production staff/news team having the day off. For something like Chris Evans or Steve Wright that has a big back team it's better to have cover than a show that would have a different feel to it.

On Radio 1 pre Grimmy instead of a Chris Moyles team it would literally be Dev and an AP on bank holidays
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »

Yes, and it's hardly a hard and fast rule because Vine was on this Bank Holiday but wasn't at Easter, and I seem to recall that Steve Wright was on at Easter but wasn't this Bank Holiday. Ken Bruce normally takes off Christmas week and comes back for the New Year and Mayo often does the other way round. It all works out the same at the end. Some probably prefer to work the Bank Holidays and take time off elsewhere.

I also remember when he was on Radio 1, Chris Evans doing his show on 2nd January and reading out the rest of the day's schedule and finding out he was the only regular daytime presenter who was actually on air.
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And lots of adverts and station ID's :mad:
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is fine if you like hearing a small playlist aimed at 30 something females or a small playlist aimed at men that like Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Coldplay played constantly.