How long does it take to receive a speeding ticket?

CHaV sTicKCHaV sTicK Posts: 868
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi guys..

I read that it can take up to 14 days after you commit the 'offence' before you get the fine?

Does it usually take this long? ie. after 7 days can I relax if it hasn't arrived already? :D

Thanks for any help. ;)

Comments

• CHaV sTicKCHaV sTicK Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and before anyone asks I was doing 60 on the motorway when I didn't realise there was a temporary 50 limit. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it's 14 days yes. What makes you think you've been caught anyway?
    CHaV sTicK wrote:
    Hi guys..

I read that it can take up to 14 days after you commit the 'offence' before you get the fine?

Does it usually take this long? ie. after 7 days can I relax if it hasn't arrived already? :D

Thanks for any help. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Embrace wrote:
    Think it's 14 days yes. What makes you think you've been caught anyway?
    There were loads of those SPECS cameras that I went through. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    CHaV sTicK wrote:
    Hi guys..

Thanks for any help. ;)

i got caught speeding though i had no idea at the time, it was 3 weeks before i got the bad news, £60 fine and 3 points :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gossip_Gal wrote:
    i got caught speeding though i had no idea at the time, it was 3 weeks before i got the bad news, £60 fine and 3 points :(
    3 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!?????? :eek:

What kind of camera was it, and what speed were you doing? :(
  • andyinteractiveandyinteractive Posts: 945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok....WHY was there a temporary speed limit? was anyone in danger when you done 60mph instead of 50mph? (ie....was there people working at the time of the speed increase?) - remember the motorway has a maximum limit of 70mph....

I ask this because if no-one was actually working on the motorway and there were no specific conditions then you were NOT at fault and the fine should NOT be imposed.

If all the above are irrelevant then i would definately challenge this!

Threads like this really anger me because you were 10mph below the maximum speed limit and if there was absolutely no danger to anyone else then i fail to understand as to WHY you have been given a speeding fine!????

If there was no danger to anyone else then DONT pay...as simple as that!

Cameras are there to make revenue...regardless of the actual conditions!

It;'s a bit like doing 20 mph in a 30 mph zone and getting flashed for it!

They know idiots are stupid enough to pay...you are British...so course you will pay up regardless...thats how they have gotcha!!!!

That has always been the problem with the British...they moan...pay up...and shut up because they cannot be arsed to contest to what is morally correct!

If there were no men working on the motorway and no logical reason why you were delibrately speeding 10mph less than the legal speed limit...then i would write back stating the reasons i have mentioned and agree that if they wish to take you to court..then let them go ahead...and refuse to go to court because you have done nothing wrong and even state the fact that you will let them send you to prison....THAT is VERY unlikely to happen...you are making a point...and stating to them that you wiah to go to prison before you pay will wake them up because i dont think the government are prepared to pay almost £100 a day to send someone to prison for driving 10mph BELOW the legal limit on a motorway.

At the end of the day they will not want to go through court costs and prison fees (THINK logically!!!!) - shit like this wakes THEM up as it will cost THEM more than you...they are just trying it on to ween money out of you for no reason...thats all!

It is about time people WOKE-UP instead of paying up, and shutting up...because they know Brits are thick where money is concerned!

Contest it....and FFS...DONT pay!!!!!!!! (you are a typical British fool if you do!)

If push comes to shove....PM me with the exact location and details and i will gladly assist you further - but DONT be another British mug who pays up because they cannot be arsed to fight for their rights!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy, thanks for that. Perhaps I should explain exactly what happened.

I am 20 and have been driving just over a year. I try very hard to stick to the speed limits..

I was driving back to Birmingham from London (the longest journey I've ever done) and it was the M42 approaching Brum.

I had been going along at about 70mph for most the journey (if I noticed I was creeping over 70 then I immediately eased off a bit)...

Anyhow, I suddenly noticed those overhead notices were lit up with '50' on them. Now I have to admit I had forgotten what they actually meant - ie. are they a guideline or compulsory etc?

I started to go down to 50 just to be on the safe side and indeed many other cars slowed down too... but lots didn't, and in the middle and right lanes there were cars going at normal speed.

I was worried.. I don't often go on the motorway and I genuinely didn't know what to do... the next sign I saw was lit up with '40' but as soon as I started to slow down firther the lorry behind me started flashing and beeping at me etc... :o So I carried on at about 60+ and hoped for the best.

I was in the left lane and I noticed I was passing loads and loads of those SPECS cameras directly above me.

I was just tired and very anxious and confused... maybe I did totally the wrong thing but my intention was, as always, to do my best to not go over the limit.

I just hope very much I will not be penalised if indeed I was breaking the limits.

But to answer your question, I was aware of absolutely no reason as to WHY there might have been this temporary limit. There was nobody working there. :confused:
  • CocothekittenCocothekitten Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard it said (can't remember source - sorry I think it was top gear) that if you don't receive a speeding ticket within 14 days then you are ok.

edit
    Actually I just found this - read section 1B
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok....WHY was there a temporary speed limit? was anyone in danger when you done 60mph instead of 50mph? (ie....was there people working at the time of the speed increase?) - remember the motorway has a maximum limit of 70mph....

I ask this because if no-one was actually working on the motorway and there were no specific conditions then you were NOT at fault and the fine should NOT be imposed.

If all the above are irrelevant then i would definately challenge this!

Threads like this really anger me because you were 10mph below the maximum speed limit and if there was absolutely no danger to anyone else then i fail to understand as to WHY you have been given a speeding fine!????

If there was no danger to anyone else then DONT pay...as simple as that!

Cameras are there to make revenue...regardless of the actual conditions!

It;'s a bit like doing 20 mph in a 30 mph zone and getting flashed for it!

They know idiots are stupid enough to pay...you are British...so course you will pay up regardless...thats how they have gotcha!!!!

That has always been the problem with the British...they moan...pay up...and shut up because they cannot be arsed to contest to what is morally correct!

If there were no men working on the motorway and no logical reason why you were delibrately speeding 10mph less than the legal speed limit...then i would write back stating the reasons i have mentioned and agree that if they wish to take you to court..then let them go ahead...and refuse to go to court because you have done nothing wrong and even state the fact that you will let them send you to prison....THAT is VERY unlikely to happen...you are making a point...and stating to them that you wiah to go to prison before you pay will wake them up because i dont think the government are prepared to pay almost £100 a day to send someone to prison for driving 10mph BELOW the legal limit on a motorway.

At the end of the day they will not want to go through court costs and prison fees (THINK logically!!!!) - shit like this wakes THEM up as it will cost THEM more than you...they are just trying it on to ween money out of you for no reason...thats all!

It is about time people WOKE-UP instead of paying up, and shutting up...because they know Brits are thick where money is concerned!

Contest it....and FFS...DONT pay!!!!!!!! (you are a typical British fool if you do!)

If push comes to shove....PM me with the exact location and details and i will gladly assist you further - but DONT be another British mug who pays up because they cannot be arsed to fight for their rights!
    Excuse me, but do you have any links to substantiate that there are any "legal rights" for which to fight based on this content.

Or is it just your own anarchic opinion that people should ignore the laws of this land they don't personally agree with?

Also, there are other reasons why temporary speed limits are imposed on motorways that have nothing to do with people working on the road e.g. to improve traffic flow. (yes, some motorways have imposed mandatory temporay speed restrictions for this as opposed to advisory speed limits)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In circumstances in which an oral notice is not given at the time, then either a summons or a written notice of intended prosecution must be served within 14 days. In reckoning a period of 14 days, the day on which the offence was committed is ignored. A notice sent by post must be despatched so that in the normal time of postal delivery it will arrive within 14 days. If it is so posted but is held up in the post and is delivered outside the 14 day period, it will be deemed to have been served in the 14 day period; consequently the driver can still be convicted.

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Rules_useage/The_Law.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John, wrote:
    In circumstances in which an oral notice is not given at the time, then either a summons or a written notice of intended prosecution must be served within 14 days. In reckoning a period of 14 days, the day on which the offence was committed is ignored. A notice sent by post must be despatched so that in the normal time of postal delivery it will arrive within 14 days. If it is so posted but is held up in the post and is delivered outside the 14 day period, it will be deemed to have been served in the 14 day period; consequently the driver can still be convicted.

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Rules_useage/The_Law.htm
    Cheers.. I was just wondering though if they say 'up to 14 days' but that in reality it usually comes within 5 or something!?! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the NIP should arrive with 14 to the address of the registered keeper - arriving after this invalidates it.

www.pepipoo.com has lots of information to help people fight back against this stealth tax... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    the NIP should arrive with 14 to the address of the registered keeper - arriving after this invalidates it.

www.pepipoo.com has lots of information to help people fight back against this stealth tax... ;)

Oh poo - if I'd known this I wouldn't have just paid my fine...the thing is, I was doing 59 on a dual carriageway in a temporary 40 zone (roadworks, even though there was no-one around :confused: ) and if that's multiplied up, it equates to doing over 100 mph on a motorway :o so when put that way, I totally deserve it! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we're travelling on the motorway and there is a restriction, say 50mph we move over to the slow lane and obey the limit, but most of the cars are still doing 70 and coming past so that's a hell of a lot of people who are going to be fined.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amazing how other drivers behind (in this case a lorry) start flashing headlamps when all you have done is gone down to the legal speed for that stretch of road (provided you dont slow to quickly ofcourse which can be dangerous). I know of someone else who had to drive a stretch of the M4 in the last year several times and was faced with a 40mph limit, and again many people just move out into the middle or outside lane and blast past despite the presence of camera's. They clearly dont mind paying.

Dave
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you saw SPECS cameras? From doing a quick search, the only SPECS cameras in the West Midlands are on the M6.

If you are not a regular motorway user, you might be confusing the other cameras that are often on bridges etc., that are merely there to monitor traffic flow etc. and are not used for fines.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok chaps, this is an old thread, but I wondered if the advice is still valid.

Is there still a limit of 14 days after the event by which you should have received the ticket?
    In which case, speeding in Aug, and receiving the ticket in October wouldn't be good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've pretty sure its still 14days, however you can receive a letter asking to confirm who was driving the car. I've not sure if that needs to be sent out within 14 days or just the charge.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 14 day limit is not as straightforward as people might have suggested. It is 14 days, excluding postal delays, to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

There are a number of circumstances where you, as the driver, will receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution much later, especially if you are not the registered keeper (or the RK details are defective at the DVLA).
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    The 14 day limit is not as straightforward as people might have suggested. It is 14 days, excluding postal delays, to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

There are a number of circumstances where you, as the driver, will receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution much later, especially if you are not the registered keeper (or the RK details are defective at the DVLA).

AIUI:

They have 14 days to send the NIP to the registered keeper.
    The registered keeper then has 28 days to return the NIP either accepting blame for it, or naming the driver (as it's an offence not to return this, and if you do return it you're incriminating yourself, this is against the BOR (as you've not been cautioned) and the ECHR).
    I think then they have 14 days to contact the real driver...
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know, my friend was flashed twice in the same week some time in August, once in nottingham, once in Leicester. She ended up not paying one in time as her paperwork wasn't back from the first one. She says she didn't get any notification until October.
    She ended up with a court summons in February, but wrote (I'm getting a bit vague here) but in the end the fine was doubled, plus court costs.
    I don't know if she has any grounds for appeal, as she's paid up, and readily admits that she was speeding.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    AIUI:

They have 14 days to send the NIP to the registered keeper.
    The registered keeper then has 28 days to return the NIP either accepting blame for it, or naming the driver (as it's an offence not to return this, and if you do return it you're incriminating yourself, this is against the BOR (as you've not been cautioned) and the ECHR).
    I think then they have 14 days to contact the real driver...

Sounds about right to me. (Though any defence under the ECHR is dead in the water after the ECJ ruled against it).

I've always wondered whether it would be possible to chain together enough nominations to cause the offence to time out. That takes 6 months, I believe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    CHaV sTicK wrote: »
    I was worried.. I don't often go on the motorway and I genuinely didn't know what to do... the next sign I saw was lit up with '40' but as soon as I started to slow down firther the lorry behind me started flashing and beeping at me etc... :o So I carried on at about 60+ and hoped for the best.

What a chav of a lorry driver, there must have been a good reason for such a speed restriction. You did the right thing, the limit at that time was 40 and was mandatory.

The other thing I hate are either the people who tailgate you as you approach a speed camera, or the wallies doing around 50mph in a 30mph zone only to slow down as they approach a speed camera, and then speed back up again as soon as they are off the speed lines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting on my ticket for doing 59 on the north end of the Edinburgh City Bypass, which is 70mph to a 50mph stretch. Camera flashed, but still waiting for it. Mind you I did sell the car a about 6 months later, so maybe that explain it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    I'm still waiting on my ticket for doing 59 on the north end of the Edinburgh City Bypass, which is 70mph to a 50mph stretch. Camera flashed, but still waiting for it. Mind you I did sell the car a about 6 months later, so maybe that explain it :D

im sure i heard somewhere that a lot of speed cameras dont have any film in and just flash you with no consequences if you are speeding.