Utopia, C4&HD, 10pm, 15-22-29 Jan 5-12 Feb

Comments

• T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is.

I only post about every 24 hours or so because I am busy making programmes of my own while you, TK Mazin and Gatehouse live in your own alternative utopian universe and have time to argue and discuss these things amongst yourselves on what seems to be an hourly basis finding and discussing fantastical and unbelievable theories which I doubt even the writers had ever considered!

Why you attacking me?! :eek: What did I do?! :eek:
    I thought we reached an understanding and moved on? Jeez, seriously :rolleyes:.

Firstly, allow me to correct a few things for you... I don't sit on DS every hour of the day. No clue where you got that from :o. This is a public forum where we discuss TV shows... what else is there to say? If you don't like the discussion, don't post on the thread ;). Simple really.
    Secondly, as I told you once before, the theories we discussed were things we picked up from within the show, so I have no clue where you're coming out with this garbage that we invent "fantastical and unbelievable theories in our own alternative utopian universe" :rolleyes:. Do you always talk out of your arse? Besides, the whole point of theorising about a TV show is to consider all possibilties no matter how outlandish they are.
    Thirdly, at least Calvin, Gatehouse and I don't come onto this thread to make unconstructive, inane comments about how rubbish the show is and then mock other posters for enjoying it. It's like you have nothing better to do. Seems to me YOU'RE the one with too much time on your hands :o. Are you sure you're making programmes of your own? I have my doubts about that. You seem too immature. You act like a 13 year old in a 40 year old's body. It's embarassing. Grow up.

It's obvious Calvin Harris has struck a nerve with you, but don't take it out on me. I never said anything bad about you. So don't get me involved in your silly cat fights :rolleyes:. If you wanna have a go at a poster, go ahead, but leave me out of it. :)
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Picking up on the word "baddies"...

I had already decided the Network's plan was wrong, and knowing Milner was behind it made me even more against it. I find it hard to see her altruistically striving to prevent war and billions of deaths (by prevent billions from being born at all). Why would she care? Surely she keeps that rock on her desk to remind her that none of it would matter anyway? Especially since it took so many decades to track Jessica down that Milner will be too old to benefit.

I guess you don't really know what her motivation is, we just know she's a bad ass! Not being flippant, but to me, all we really knew in the end was she wanted Jessica's blood. What she actually really wanted to do with it was never explained.

I did wonder if it was more than sterilisation. That maybe it was based on destroying a race, like they originally believed after looking at the manuscript. After all, we only had the people in powers word that sterilisation was the aim.

So for her was it for power, glory or her just being a nut? I don't know. I think again series 2 would be helpful in finding those answers!!!

Oh and re the supernatural angle, after the first episode, I really did believe this was going to go into other worldly territory! I never expected it to be as it was! Not complaining at all, but it did seem to have a very heavy supernatural feel at first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched the whole series again, still don't have a clue wtf was going on. Glossy nonsense, haven't seen anything this pretentiously bad since The Shadow Line. The music was the only decent part of this drivel.

I'm normally one to vocally call out pretentious drivel and I never felt like that with this. But then again, I quite liked the Shadow Line.

I guess it didn't get your like bells ringing, but there you go, such is life!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    I guess you don't really know what her motivation is, we just know she's a bad ass! Not being flippant, but to me, all we really knew in the end was she wanted Jessica's blood. What she actually really wanted to do with it was never explained.

I did wonder if it was more than sterilisation. That maybe it was based on destroying a race, like they originally believed after looking at the manuscript. After all, we only had the people in powers word that sterilisation was the aim.

So for her was it for power, glory or her just being a nut? I don't know. I think again series 2 would be helpful in finding those answers!!!

Oh and re the supernatural angle, after the first episode, I really did believe this was going to go into other worldly territory! I never expected it to be as it was! Not complaining at all, but it did seem to have a very heavy supernatural feel at first.

Me too! The whole tone and feeling of the pilot episide felt quite otherwordly at times, that's why I thought there might be some supernatural elements in the show. And the way Milner described Mr Rabbit's backstory to Ian - he sounded like a force of nature that could kill anything in his path. But looking back, I think Milner was just exaggerating the story to make her alter ego seem scary lol.
    In reality, the Utopia comic was only to meant to be taken metaphorically rather than literally.

Interestingly, I read on one of Dennis Kelly's interviews that the original concept of "Utopia" did indeed have some sci-fi elements. Kudos had approached Kelly with the idea of "Utopia" and wanted him as showrunner. From the sounds of it, Kelly then reworked the concept of the show and scaled back all the sci-fi elements, because he wanted the show to be grounded in reality.

(By the way, sorry for the above rant and clogging up the thread. Just bemused at the inanity of Barrie Williams.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Me too! The whole tone and feeling of the pilot episide felt quite otherwordly at times, that's why I thought there might be some supernatural elements in the show. And the way Milner described Mr Rabbit's backstory to Ian - he sounded like a force of nature that could kill anything in his path. But looking back, I think Milner was just exaggerating the story to make her alter ego seem scary lol.
    In reality, the Utopia comic was only to meant to be taken metaphorically rather than literally.

Interestingly, I read on one of Dennis Kelly's interviews that the original concept of "Utopia" did indeed have some sci-fi elements. Kudos had approached Kelly with the idea of "Utopia" and wanted him as showrunner. From the sounds of it, Kelly then reworked the concept of the show and scaled back all the sci-fi elements, because he wanted the show to be grounded in reality.

(By the way, sorry for the above rant and clogging up the thread. Just bemused at the inanity of Barrie Williams.)

I always think DS is a good place to have a rant, whatever the rant may be. :p

Yeah that is interesting re the original concept, would explain the whole feel. I think when Ian, Becky and Wilson first met up, their chat also added to this. I must admit though, it's the ground in reality part I did like. I mean I'm a big fan of supernatural stuff, yet I do love some nice grounded reality too!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only post about every 24 hours or so because I am busy making programmes of my own while you, TK Mazin and Gatehouse live in your own alternative utopian universe and have time to argue and discuss these things amongst yourselves on what seems to be an hourly basis finding and discussing fantastical and unbelievable theories which I doubt even the writers had ever considered!

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched the whole series again, still don't have a clue wtf was going on. Glossy nonsense, haven't seen anything this pretentiously bad since The Shadow Line. The music was the only decent part of this drivel.

I couldn't not disagree no less than I haven't done
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's obvious Calvin Harris has struck a nerve with you...

Barrie has nothing to feel nervous about which is probably why he openly references his own back catalogue to exemplify the excellence Dennis Kelly et al have so evidently failed to capture in Utopia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jende wrote: »

I never felt the supernatural element you described. I always felt it was very real and credible with some fantastically deep excavations into the human psyche. The way in which people behaved and reacted was so credible (down to excellent writing, direction and superb realisation through the acting ensemble) I never once felt the need for anything supernatural to appear an bolster up a looming plot hole.

Have I mentioned anywhere that I absolutely loved this show?

Not wanting a second series, to me, is a bit like having sex for the first time, liking it, and deciding that will do for the rest of your life :eek::o:cry:confused::):yawn::sleep:... :D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never felt the supernatural element you described. I always felt it was very real and credible with some fantastically deep excavations into the human psyche. The way in which people behaved and reacted was so credible (down to excellent writing, direction and superb realisation through the acting ensemble) I never once felt the need for anything supernatural to appear an bolster up a looming plot hole.

Not wanting a second series, to me, is a bit like having sex for the first time, liking it, and deciding that will do for the rest of your life :eek::o:cry:confused::):yawn::sleep:... :D:cool:
    :D
    I think the first episode to me had me thinking it would move into wibbly wobbly supernatural stuff. But this faded as the show moved on. It definitely did not need a supernatural angle and the realism was the part that did grab me.

I would love a second series. Really want to know what happens next!
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Yes it is.

I work bloody hard, you cheeky sod-almost certainly harder than yow.
    Forum Member

Sooooo...you hate it, yet you watched it all the way through..twice? That was a bit silly!

I liked Shadow Line. It was nonsense, but brilliantly entertaining :p
    Forum Member
    Why you attacking me?! :eek: What did I do?! :eek:
    I thought we reached an understanding and moved on? Jeez, seriously :rolleyes:.

Firstly, allow me to correct a few things for you... I don't sit on DS every hour of the day. No clue where you got that from :o. This is a public forum where we discuss TV shows... what else is there to say? If you don't like the discussion, don't post on the thread ;). Simple really.
    Secondly, as I told you once before, the theories we discussed were things we picked up from within the show, so I have no clue where you're coming out with this garbage that we invent "fantastical and unbelievable theories in our own alternative utopian universe" :rolleyes:. Do you always talk out of your arse? Besides, the whole point of theorising about a TV show is to consider all possibilties no matter how outlandish they are.
    Thirdly, at least Calvin, Gatehouse and I don't come onto this thread to make unconstructive, inane comments about how rubbish the show is and then mock other posters for enjoying it. It's like you have nothing better to do. Seems to me YOU'RE the one with too much time on your hands :o. Are you sure you're making programmes of your own? I have my doubts about that. You seem too immature. You act like a 13 year old in a 40 year old's body. It's embarassing. Grow up.

It's obvious Calvin Harris has struck a nerve with you, but don't take it out on me. I never said anything bad about you. So don't get me involved in your silly cat fights :rolleyes:. If you wanna have a go at a poster, go ahead, but leave me out of it. :)

He hates me too, T.K! "Makes movies", eh? And "shags supermodels and drives a porsche" too, I bet ;)

Either way he's a killjoy and obviously doesn't like people enjoying themselves. Myself, I just hope that something good enough comes along on TV for me to maintain my acquaintances on here that have been great to chat and theorise with. I had hopes for Black Mirror, but it was all a bit meh by previous standards.
    Forum Member

Yeah but everyone's a bit rubbish at sex the first time..you need a bit of practice at it to get half-decent at it! Whereas with Utopia, it may be more like a pure virgin becoming increasingly sordid and unsavoury by a descent into sexual profligacy: it was the fact that it was new, fresh and different that made it special. The magic is sure to wear down over time until it becomes just another routine show. "Doing a Lost" as some would put it.

Having said that...(one of my favourite Curb phrases!)..I think that a second series would be good. I just like making extended analogies :)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    It seemed to me that Becky was also manipulating Ian, and going much further than a kiss. It might just be the sort of woman she is, but she jumped into bed with him the first night they met, despite knowing him to be a bit weird. And then again later.
    We now know she had Beals. She knew she had limited time to get laid before she became symptomatic, and also that any long-term relationship would likely be cut short by her illness. That affects how I see her character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon, who was your favourite character on the show and why? Just curious :).
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon, who was your favourite character on the show and why? Just curious :).
    I don't really have a stand-out; more several that were good. Arby was the most interesting. Grant for being pro-active. Jessica because I like strong, confident woman.

I didn't find Wilson very plausible (especially dislocating his own thumb). He seemed too extreme a caricature. Ian was a bit dull.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Utopia started off destined for Sky1, but ended up on C4?

Management change perhaps, too violent for Sky?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Management change perhaps, too violent for Sky?

It is unusual, given that Sky have pledged to improve their reputation with original, home-grown drama. Highly unlikely that BBC or ITV would have taken it, leaving C4 as a fitting place.

It was very much a drama that was spread by word of mouth; I heard about it on Facebook via a friend who lives in Finland. if it has been on Sky, it would have still built a certain following via downloads, esp. given the typical demographic includes people used to downloads. But the official viewing figures would have likely been really low... and the chances of it getting recommissioned would have been tiny. So, lets count our blessing that Sky did pass on it.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched the whole series again, still don't have a clue wtf was going on. .

Why? The plot isn't difficult.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Just watched the whole lot yesterday.

I liked it, it was different and almost plausible and at a level I could understand (being a bit thick I like stuff I can think about a little bit but not have to pause the TV every 5 mins to ask my OH to explain WTF has just happened).

I found the Ian character a bit too much like John Tickle (Big Bro contestant) but all the rest were good.

Were Jessica and Pietre brother and sister?

I also found the cinematography quite stunning and the locations from a photographers perspective to die for.

I looked at the credits to see where it was filmed but no mention, does anyone recognise any of the locations used?
  • StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=63822660&postcount=183

I recognised different parts of Wallasey,Birkenhead and Liverpool so had to post the above.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member

You didn't have a clue what was going on?

I'm pretty sure that 60% of the plot is explained in the first episode, and by the second you're told everything else.

If you've watched the entire series twice and you still don't know what it's about, maybe it's not for you?

May I suggest watching TOWIE or something?

That might be more your speed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=63822660&postcount=183

I recognised different parts of Wallasey,Birkenhead and Liverpool so had to post the above.

Thanks very much for the link I would have never had guessed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Series 2 commisioned!

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/5053041.article

You need to be member to see full story - but it's definitely back!