iPad 3rd generation - not on UK apple store site

XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
Forum Member
I've been considering an iPad but on Apple's site, there's only an iPad 2nd generation and not the 3rd? The newest retina display ones are currently very expensive and I have a lot of itunes, so I'm after 32GB if poss.

Thanks!

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 3rd generation iPad was discontinued with the introduction of the 4th generation iPad.

The 4th generation iPad came in at the exact same price points previously occupied by the 3rd generation iPad.

Apple still manufactures and sells the iPad 2 as a more "entry level" iPad, but the 3rd generation iPad is dead. The only way to buy one brand new would be if another retailer happened to still have stock even though it was discontinued ~ four months ago.
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I had a feeling it did. I see there are some 3rd gen ones of amazon or is just worth going for the 4th one?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do refurbished 3rd generation iPads but there's no stock at the moment. £369 for a 32GB model.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FD329/refurbished-ipad-with-wi-fi-32gb-white-3rd-generation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go for the 4th generation one. The 3rd generation iPad is a year old now, & IMO it's best to go for the newest (and largest) one you can afford given the pace of updates.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered at the time was they stopped the third gen do that it gives the feeing that the iPad mini is the same spec as the cheaper model rather than 2 generations back.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Xassy wrote: »
    I had a feeling it did. I see there are some 3rd gen ones of amazon or is just worth going for the 4th one?
    The difference between the 3rd and 4th gen iPads is minimal (a faster CPU and that's about it!).

Personally I went for a heavily discounted 3rd gen one and would advise anyone else to do the same - however the retailers have largely sold off their stocks of 3rd gen ones by now so, unless the Apple store gets any "refurbished" again it might be too late!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    The 4th gen is just a rebranded 3rd gen with a lightening charger port and different processor.

No point buying the 3rd gen.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The 4th gen is just a rebranded 3rd gen with a lightening charger port and different processor.

No point buying the 3rd gen.
    No point in the 4th gen if anyone could get a good discount on a 3rd gen I think you mean!!!
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    No point in the 4th gen if anyone could get a good discount on a 3rd gen I think you mean!!!

Unless it's hefty discount you are better going with the faster processor as it will cope with newer apps now and in the future better
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Unless it's hefty discount you are better going with the faster processor as it will cope with newer apps now and in the future better
    It's not a vast difference in processor speed either!

Some "refurbished" iPad 3 models are currently on sale in the Apple Online Store for ~25% less than original price (=current selling price of iPad 4s)

"Refurbished" - as used by Apple means new battery and case and indistinguishable from brand new!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a much better processor than in the iPad 3, plus a better GPU.

Although the iPad 3 had a better GPU than the iPad 2 it still had the same CPU, and the extra power of the GPU was taken up by driving the increased resolution of the "Retina" display.

The iPad 4, though, has a better CPU and GPU, so apps on it won't have to suffer the same kind of compromises as they did with the iPad 3 (no need to sacrifice effects for resolution, for example).
    Forum Member
    It's not a vast difference in processor speed either!

Some "refurbished" iPad 3 models are currently on sale in the Apple Online Store for ~25% less than original price (=current selling price of iPad 4s)

"Refurbished" - as used by Apple means new battery and case and indistinguishable from brand new!

It's a different mode of CPU though as well - so it's not only quicker but more powerful as well.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    The iPad 4, though, has a better CPU and GPU, so apps on it won't have to suffer the same kind of compromises as they did with the iPad 3 (no need to sacrifice effects for resolution, for example).
    It's all theoretical as I have yet to hear of any App visibly under performing on an iPad 3! You could just as easily say that the lightning connector on the 4th gen is a negative as it SEVERELY limits use of cheaper non-Official-Apple accessories.

Still just a personal decision - full price iPad 4 or iPad 3 at 25% less! I went for the 3 and have never once regretted it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all theoretical as I have yet to hear of any App visibly under performing on an iPad 3! You could just as easily say that the lightning connector on the 4th gen is a negative as it SEVERELY limits use of cheaper non-Official-Apple accessories.

The iPad 3 isn't really significantly more powerful than the iPad 2, because although it has two times the GPU cores of the iPad 2 (quad-core PowerVR SGX543MP4 versus a dual-core PowerVR SGX543MP2) it has four times the pixels to drive, plus still has exactly the same CPU (1GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9).

However, although the iPad 4 also still has "just" a dual-core CPU and "just" a quad-core GPU, it has a superior CPU and a superior GPU. Instead of a 1GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU it has a 1.4GHz dual-core "Swift" CPU, which is not only clocked faster but is also custom designed and optimised plus is based upon newer ARM architecture than the A9. And instead of a quad-core PowerVR SGX543MP4 GPU it has quad-core PowerVR SGX554MP4 GPU. These aren't minor changes.

A couple of examples of iPad 3 performance issues...

When Galaxy on Fire 2 HD was first updated to support the iPad 3's "Retina" display it suffered performance issues running at the full resolution. Because of this, the devs updated it with a compromise resolution that was higher than the iPad 1/2 resolution but lower than the iPad 3's "Retina" resolution. However, many people complained about the decrease in resolution and said they were willing to put up with the performance hit, so the devs updated it again to give people a choice of resolutions.

When run at the "Retina" resolution on an iPad 3, Gameloft's N.O.V.A. 3 has to compromise by sacrificing certain graphical effects that are present when it is run on an iPad 2. Gameloft later updated it to give iPad 3 owners the choice of running it at the higher resolution or having the extra graphical effects found when run on an iPad 2.

It does not happen with every game, but it is not "theoretical"...

For more on this, see:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/03/30/anandtech-ipad-3-vs-tegra-3/

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05/29/native-ipad-3-games-analysis/

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/26/3019105/retina-display-new-ipad-graphics

[Oh, and I'm an iPad 3 owner myself. But that doesn't stop me from acknowledging that the iPad 4 is more than just a change in connector and that it is not "not a vast difference" in processor.]
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check around.

the 3rd gen and the Mini are being discunted 30% in the states, and maybe the 3rd gen is intended to e sold in retailers.
    The sale/price cuts hint at a revamp.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Check around.

the 3rd gen and the Mini are being discunted 30% in the states, and maybe the 3rd gen is intended to e sold in retailers.

Pardon?! :eek:
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Pardon?! :eek:

LOL! I can't stop laughing!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    with a lightening charger port and different processor. No point buying the 3rd gen.
    That same port that requires a £40 lead c/w an embedded CPU in it just to give us video out.

As per the usual, the Wiki for the Ipad 3 looks like a marketing exercise for the next generation so manages leave out this positive 3 fact.

Its a real shame that wiki get so many history rewrites.
    Forum Member
    That same port that requires a £40 lead c/w an embedded CPU in it just to give us video out.

As per the usual, the Wiki for the Ipad 3 looks like a marketing exercise for the next generation so manages leave out this positive 3 fact.

So that Wiki matches with your thoughts instead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a real shame you couldn't rewrite post 16! :eek: :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    It's a real shame you couldn't rewrite post 16! :eek: :D

Why?

iPad 3 lasted just 7 months and even Argos flog them off as refurbished for £300.
    For what you get it is still a crazy high price.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why?

iPad 3 lasted just 7 months and even Argos flog them off as refurbished for £300.

You really should go back and read what you wrote :D
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check around.

As shown in another thread, this information is incorrect. The iPad 3rd gen has been discounted as it is discontinued stock. The iPad mini has had nothing like 30% discount (some stores are selling it $300 which is less than 10% discount).

If a 10% price cut implies a revamp then its strange the same didn't apply with the nexus 7 which was discounted about 3 weeks after release:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

LOL! You still don't realise do you? The clue is in the word that should have been discount! LOL!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    should have been discount! LOL!

Well I never took you for being one.