um, I wonder what I should got for next?

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i still got at least 5 months before i can upgrade my phone 6/2/13, or 22/04 if I changed networks. but wondering what to go for. To be honest there is not that much choice in the smart phone world.

Android, Iphone, blackberry or Microsoft. i know there are loads of companies that makes Android phones, but they are more or less the same just with a few different icons, different speed processors, different size memory and screens.

At least I got a while to make up my mind what to do, iphone is certainly out because of price, i doubt i will get a windows phone.

so that leaves blackberry or Android and to be honest i want to try and get away from Google, so that leaves the Blackberry, which to be honest a few years back it was a pretty good phone, but they seem dated.

so here I am back to the start. :)

just a shame that there is not a pure linux phone or that Nokia did not keep it own OS instead of getting into bed with MS.

i wonder if I could go back to a non-smart phone? Um, no I doubt it.

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Android is Linux based the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is as close to Stock Android as you will get.

Windows Phone 8 should be out soon which is much improved over previous half assed versions of Windows Phone.

New BlackBerry phones will be out at the beginning of 2013.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When your time comes to renew there will be a lot of new Windows phones so don't poo poo them until you can get to see one. I'll be getting on but I'm hanging on until xmas to see what range comes along.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    When your time comes to renew there will be a lot of new Windows phones so don't poo poo them until you can get to see one. I'll be getting on but I'm hanging on until xmas to see what range comes along.

Neo, you should know our noise by now. She is willing to repeatedly poo-poo anything Microsoft. She is unwilling to consider a Windows Phone at all - let alone see the pros and cons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    No law saying you have to upgrade, if your current phone is still OK and you're happy with it then why not keep it and switch to a much cheaper sim only deal?

Then you can sit tight saving money until a new phone comes along (or you need a new phone) that you really fancy.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go for a Note2 that is the same date I get to change but I dough that would be in my budget I would be looking for something no more than £20 a month hopefully with 4G?.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Android is Linux based the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is as close to Stock Android as you will get.

Yes i know that Andoird is Linux based, just a shame there is not a pure linux phone.
    Windows Phone 8 should be out soon which is much improved over previous half assed versions of Windows Phone.

Nah, i don't like the look of them to be honest and from what I have seen one Windows phone looks like another, not very customisable
    New BlackBerry phones will be out at the beginning of 2013.

i did like the early Blackberrys, but that was before I used a touch screen. May have look
    neo_wales wrote: »

Not for me, they may be good phones but this tile idea seems to fixed and rigid.

TheBigM wrote: »
    Neo, you should know our noise by now. She is willing to repeatedly poo-poo anything Microsoft. She is unwilling to consider a Windows Phone at all - let alone see the pros and cons.

I am Male, not Female. i don't poo-poo everything Microsoft, i admit i don't like the direction they are going with this Metro stuff.
    You may be right, i can't see myself going for a windows based phone, certainly if they are going to keep with the tile system that is on the windows phones available now.

No law saying you have to upgrade, if your current phone is still OK and you're happy with it then why not keep it and switch to a much cheaper sim only deal?

Then you can sit tight saving money until a new phone comes along (or you need a new phone) that you really fancy.
    That was my original idea to be honest, that was until i damaged my wildfire and had to get a another phone to replace it until the end of the contract or until i could update.

even with the replacement phone I was thinking of going sim only, but it is not that good to be honest, it is certainly faster than the wildfire, but ring tones are too quiet and i got a problem with the screen, after just a month.

So, it looks like I will have to get another phone, but what is a problem.

I would go for a Note2 that is the same date I get to change but I dough that would be in my budget I would be looking for something no more than £20 a month hopefully with 4G?.

I am not bothered about 4G, i must admit I don't really feel like spending £25 a month again, which is why I also looking at 3 as they got some good phones for a decent monthly price and seems to offer a better deal than Vodafone. the only problem I have is that they use orange as a fall back network if the 3G is not strong enough and Orange network is to be honest naff.