Team GB's Lisa Dobriskey - "I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field".

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Nansbread wrote: »
    Bit like track cycling. The playing field there is definitely not level.

In what way? The fact that we used freely available technology that no-one else bothered to use?
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I think it's pretty common knowledge that the sick note wasn't genuine. Doesn't mean the guy is a doper.
    If he isn't, he's improved immeasurably as outlined in this article.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have sympathy for Lisa Dobrisky on this. I don't think it is a level playing field.

On the basis of that race, there's nothing to support that accusation - a dreadfully slow pace, and she got the tactics all wrong.

Possibly the worst final so far on the track during these Olympics.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    The person who won did serve a ban for doping so I can understand Lisa feeling angry about that.

I don't agree with them EVER being allowed to run (or cycle, or swim or whatever) if they take drugs. One rule, kick them out for good. It would be a deterrent for sure.
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was right, it wasn't a level field.

Looking at how she ran, she had the uphill bit of the field..
  • NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what way? The fact that we used freely available technology that no-one else bothered to use?

No...just that the track is curved and sloped. Lighten up.

Maybe for another thread..but i observed a rule change in table tennis. The bats are now provided at the start of the match by the IOC. There was always a lot of speculation about players own bats. this has leveled the playing field.

Maybe such a move should be considered for cycling. after all it is about the cyclist and not the cycling technology.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nansbread wrote: »
    Bit like track cycling. The playing field there is definitely not level.

You're dead right there, there isn't a flat surface anywhere on the track, some of that banking is teally steep.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

That FM has a bit of 'history' on the 2012 thread.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=60300819&postcount=16
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I don't think we can afford to be sniffy about other nations when GB has fielded at least three former dopers over the course of this Olympics. The girl who won yesterday failed her test in 2004.

Dobriskey's tactics were extremely poor & she finished well down the field, despite it being (I think) the slowest winning time.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem though that people aren't fully confident in the drug testing at this Olympics.

It must be like an arms race - coming up with 'hiding' agents - trying to find new 'hiding' agents and coming up with tests to get round them.

It would make an interesting documentary.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt there's 'stuff' going on in track and field. Lisa did run a shocker of a race though, which is not unusual for her.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I don't think we can afford to be sniffy about other nations when GB has fielded at least three former dopers over the course of this Olympics. The girl who won yesterday failed her test in 2004.

Dobriskey's tactics were extremely poor & she finished well down the field, despite it being (I think) the slowest winning time.

And plenty of us are not happy about this either - kinda glad that the baton got dropped last night as would have hated Chambers getting a medal. Am a lot of things byt hypocritical I ain't and will call out all drug cheats regardless of nationality
  • lightblueslightblues Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa ran an awful race , had she won she probably wouldn't have said anything
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    She's had a Kelly Holmes like outburst!!
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    And plenty of us are not happy about this either - kinda glad that the baton got dropped last night as would have hated Chambers getting a medal. Am a lot of things byt hypocritical I ain't and will call out all drug cheats regardless of nationality

Agree on your entire post.

It is long past time that ANY drug cheat was banned for life. The reason pre games I supported Dwain Chambers being chosen was simple, if other cheats compete for other nations, then he should compete for us.

My ideal would be to have seen him, and every other cheat told very clearly at the start of their career "cheat and you will never race again", but this isnt that ideal world sadly......
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    She's had a Kelly Holmes like outburst!!

Yep seem to recall Kelly getting a lot of criticism when she calld out on Ceplak who subsequently got banned & also Kelly Sotherton on Blonska who then got caught again the following year at the Olympics.

Seems to me the athletes are usually right.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Samples are kept for 8 years now so i hope all the 2012 medal wiinners are retested in 3 and 7 years time with the benefit of the latest procedures, cheats exposed and their results expunged.
    The issue I have picked up on going through a number of articles on this is that the off season testing needs to be made more rigorous, maybe done by an international body, as apparently this is where the experienced dopers do the taking combined with intensive training to build up muscle. By the time the season starts and they are subjected to testing the substance has usually completely gone from their fluids but they still have the enhanced muscles from the taking. I wonder whether they should start considering a way to take tiny skin or muscle samples if that is possible.
    d'@ve wrote: »
    To my mind, once a drug cheat always a likely drug cheat and their bans should be lifetime, that includes the known British drug cheats too. The IOC are nuts for not doing this.
    Well the 3 months the Jamaicans got 3 years ago, including Blake seemed pointless, noone would hardly register them being away so the coming back after the ban wouldn't even be noticed in the media. I think lifetime might be too much but 2 years for a first offense that Chambers & Gatlin got wasn't enough I think, maybe 3 or 4 years, lifetime for a repeat offense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sour Grapes me thinks. There probably are athletes doing roids but you gotta remember in the Olympics you are competing against the best in the world. Jessica Ennis or Moh Farah are not taking drugs and they are the fastest runners in the world at their distance. I don't see the 100M and 200M runners whining that the Jamaican team are on drugs. She needs to wind her neck in and train harder for the next 4 years.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,171
    Forum Member
    J6ngo1977 wrote: »
    Sour Grapes me thinks. There probably are athletes doing roids but you gotta remember in the Olympics you are competing against the best in the world. Jessica Ennis or Moh Farah are not taking drugs and they are the fastest runners in the world at their distance. I don't see the 100M and 200M runners whining that the Jamaican team are on drugs. She needs to wind her neck in and train harder for the next 4 years.

But could her comments be because the winner has a history for failing a dope test. For me once someone has been caught cheating it is very difficult to trust them again
  • cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Yep seem to recall Kelly getting a lot of criticism when she calld out on Ceplak who subsequently got banned & also Kelly Sotherton on Blonska who then got caught again the following year at the Olympics.

Seems to me the athletes are usually right.

Yes, Kelly was also accused of being sore loser, just like Lisa has by some quarters. It wasn't about a medal for kelly, it was the principle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1139042/Kelly-Sotherton-I-sat-Blonska-saw-coach-passed-thought--cheating-cow.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J6ngo1977 wrote: »
    Do you think people would have the same attitude if Justin Gatlin had won the 100M? Or would feel as great about the event if not only that happened but also one of the top 100M runners of the year was caught doping just before the Olympics as happened in the women's 1500m? In that scenario it would be weird if there wasn't grumblings imo.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    cath99 wrote: »
    Yes, Kelly was also accused of being sore loser, just like Lisa has by some quarters. It wasn't about a medal for kelly, it was the principle.

http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1139042/Kelly-Sotherton-I-sat-Blonska-saw-coach-passed-thought--cheating-cow.html

The difference being that Kelly was busting her gut & getting beaten by a doper, whereas Lisa ran poorly yesterday. She needs to look at her own race tactics before throwing accusations around.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,171
    Forum Member
    cath99 wrote: »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1139042/Kelly-Sotherton-I-sat-Blonska-saw-coach-passed-thought--cheating-cow.html

What I can't understand is why would a federation allow someone to compete when they have been done for drugs - is it all about medals
  • cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    The difference being that Kelly was busting her gut & getting beaten by a doper, whereas Lisa ran poorly yesterday. She needs to look at her own race tactics before throwing accusations around.

No difference at all in highlighting that some people are cheating. Lisa ran an awful race, she's said as much herself, but people in her event are cheating and she commented on it.

In fact, the cases are very similar. Blonska came back from a ban and massively improved her PB. Same as last night's winner. Better off drugs than they were on? Please :rolleyes:

If I recall, Kelly Sotherton was given the exact same criticism about "only" coming 5th in Beijing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    But could her comments be because the winner has a history for failing a dope test. For me once someone has been caught cheating it is very difficult to trust them again

It's the same with Ben Johnson though. He failed a drug test but when he was clean he was still good. Roids may give you a slight edge because they give you that ability to train harder and longer. So that will give you an edge. I agree it is cheating but to be honest If athletes like Bolt and David Rudisha can run like that without drugs you are already up against it. Lisa Dobriskey should take it on the chin. Look at Jessica Ennis and Moh Farah and know that it can be done.